What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [5] (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the youngest. I'm sure I have mentioned my 2 brothers and I visiting my Mom every 3 weeks in "rotation". But no worries

A Guy

I don't know about an alarm, at the moment her grandson is staying with her, he has split up with his wife, they have his 2 children there at the weekend and she loves that, she says they are so well behaved and love being with their dad. Of course during the day if the weather is fine he has to work, he's the local window cleaner. He's looking around for somewhere local to rent as her cottage only has 2 bedrooms so it's a bit cramped at the weekends.

I think they have something that's around your neck or in a watch form, so if you get into difficulty, you press it, and they send help for you. My Nana had one, but I'm not sure if you have to be in a specific place for it to work, but I'm sure there are other things. Either that or if she has a mobile, she could have the app that traces your location, and you can find out where people are.

It sounds like she's definitely enjoying the company of her grandchildren, though, which will be a definite break from the monotony. I'm sure even though it's a little cramped, they will all be making the most of it.

How are you managing to chat with all these people anyway? Are you getting out and about? We've managed to speak with a few people as they pass while we've been doing the front, and to be quite honest, I think everyone is just pleased to see people. The weather has been dry, and we even got the sun yesterday, so that was great when we were finishing off. Especially because today is blustery and rainy. I'm just so glad we don't have to dig anything today because I don't have it in me. I ache everywhere!

I'm the youngest. I'm sure I have mentioned my 2 brothers and I visiting my Mom every 3 weeks in "rotation". But no worries

A Guy

I knew you had at least one sibling due to your niece, but I didn't know you had two of them. That's really nice that you do a rotation and see your Mum; I bet she loves that. Are you far apart in age?

We talk on the phone Angie but if she's in her garden there's a certain part a little way down where we can actually see each other, the greenery is not so thick there especially in winter when the trees are bare of leaves.
We've had the sun out quite a lot today although there have been periods where it suddenly goes grey and there is a cloud burst, plus it's quite windy as well, which is typical as I have to go for my second jab later so I've been a bit on edge today.

Oh good, I am glad you're getting to see and chat with people. 😍 Aww, bless you, good luck with your second jab. Hopefully, the weather will have calmed down by then. It's been the same here too, I was frying my pants off this morning, and then it was breezy before, and I had my hat on, so I can't win.

I need to go and sit down now because my shoulders are tensing up, and I've still got tea and washing to do. 😩

I made these today, though. :hatchingchick: I just need to do the tutorial for them now.

The Chick Family by Help Me Bake Easter Ideas.JPG

Lol! I've just realised you've already seen them. 🤣

Last edited:
I know I think they are so cute. 😂

Everything went well with my second jab, I was feeling very privileged being taken there and back in the fire services brand new electric car, it was so quiet, they've only had it a couple of months so the driver is still playing.
Everything is filmed and recorded, it was fun when he hit the boost button and wow you could feel the power burst, the screen in the middle of the dash showing the map of where he is and where he's going and it's so comfortable and such a smooth ride. :D

Awesome, into the future :D

There are two years between each of us. Oldest 4 years older than me, middle bro 2 years older than me

A Guy

That's a nice gap between you all. Glad you are all able to visit your Mum, I bet she looks forward to them.

I know I think they are so cute. 😂

Everything went well with my second jab, I was feeling very privileged being taken there and back in the fire services brand new electric car, it was so quiet, they've only had it a couple of months so the driver is still playing.
Everything is filmed and recorded, it was fun when he hit the boost button and wow you could feel the power burst, the screen in the middle of the dash showing the map of where he is and where he's going and it's so comfortable and such a smooth ride. :D

Joan's adventures! I absolutely love it! Chauffeurs, second jabs, recordings, you'll be on tele next. 😂 Fabulous! You so deserve it, and to have a little fun along the way, you couldn't have had a better day; I don't think.

She has a decent number of doctor appointments, so it's also a necessity

A Guy

It's really good that you share the responsibilities between you, especially with you saying she has many appointments. That way, she gets a different face each week, different input, and you guys get an even amount of the responsibility, which is only fair. I'm sure she cherishes the time she gets to spend with you all. You have a nice age gap between you all. Do you get to see your brothers, much or is it just during the holidays?

I've seen each of my brothers once since the pandemic. Rest of family not at all. Generally before that holiday gatherings, and usually see my oldest brother on weekends when visiting my Mom

A Guy

Are you guys, facetiming? That seems to be the in thing nowadays; 🤓 I've done one or two Zoom calls, but other than that, it's been facetime all the way. I quite like it, if I'm honest, because you get to see people and then go about your business when the call ends.

I think they have something that's around your neck or in a watch form, so if you get into difficulty, you press it, and they send help for you. My Nana had one, but I'm not sure if you have to be in a specific place for it to work, but I'm sure there are other things. Either that or if she has a mobile, she could have the app that traces your location, and you can find out where people are.
My Mum had one of these... It was a pendant with a big red button that she wore around her neck, it was connected to a box linked to her phone line. It only worked in the house, which was a problem because she had a large garden where she would go wondering. Then, when her dementia set in and most needed it, she didn't know what it was for. She wore it religiously every day but had no idea why. So when she had a fall (and the one time she needed it), she didn't press it for help.

Aww, bless her. Is she okay now? Yes, that's the one I meant; it also had a big red button on it. I thought you had to be in the house so that they can detect you. Hopefully, @Joan neighbour will use the app or get people to ring her every 20 minutes or check on her whereabouts if she goes for a walk. It's a shame that they all can't have companions or buddies that will go for a walk with them, so they are safe. I mean, I know we can't at the minute, but still, it would be nice just for some kind of support for them. I know some people offer things like that on FB groups just for people to have a bit of distanced company which I think is lovely.

Well from what I've heard so far it seems that the Oxford vaccine is the one causing the most trouble, my Farmfoods driver had that one and was quite bad after having it I'd also heard others had bad flu-like symptoms after that one, my son-in-law has just had the same vaccine and he is suffering as well now.

I haven't done any video. I know my middle bro got my Mom a camera and I see Zoom on her PC

A Guy

Well from what I've heard so far it seems that the Oxford vaccine is the one causing the most trouble, my Farmfoods driver had that one and was quite bad after having it I'd also heard others had bad flu-like symptoms after that one, my son-in-law has just had the same vaccine and he is suffering as well now.
We were ok, just felt a bit groggy the day after. Our neighbour's wife suffered though, she also came out in a rash.

Aww, bless her. Is she okay now? Yes, that's the one I meant; it also had a big red button on it. I thought you had to be in the house so that they can detect you. Hopefully, @Joan neighbour will use the app or get people to ring her every 20 minutes or check on her whereabouts if she goes for a walk. It's a shame that they all can't have companions or buddies that will go for a walk with them, so they are safe. I mean, I know we can't at the minute, but still, it would be nice just for some kind of support for them. I know some people offer things like that on FB groups just for people to have a bit of distanced company which I think is lovely.
We lost her in December 2019, she was 94 and led a full life until the dementia kicked in, so lots of fond memories. She was fiercely independent and insisted on staying in her own home, which became a challenge as her health slowly deteriorated. Yes, a companion or buddy would have helped for the times we couldn't be with her. She had carers in four times a day, which helped to a degree as at least she saw people during the day and they could check on her.

Oh no! I hope they all start to feel better soon. It's a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things, though. I suppose it's just the luck of the draw regarding what you get and how you react to it.

I haven't done any video. I know my middle bro got my Mom a camera and I see Zoom on her PC

A Guy

Aww, that's good that he's done that. Do you prefer to see her in person rather than Zooming? Can I actually call it that? 🤔

We were ok, just felt a bit groggy the day after. Our neighbour's wife suffered though, she also came out in a rash.

Well, at least you guys have all had it and are nearing the other side. Ooh, I think I spotted something in the paper about some people having rashes. Unfortunately, some people will feel slightly under the weather, but if it means we can start getting the world back up and running, it can only be a good thing, albeit a little discomforting.

We lost her in December 2019, she was 94 and led a full life until the dementia kicked in, so lots of fond memories. She was fiercely independent and insisted on staying in her own home, which became a challenge as her health slowly deteriorated. Yes, a companion or buddy would have helped for the times we couldn't be with her. She had carers in four times a day, which helped to a degree as at least she saw people during the day and they could check on her.

Wow, 94; that's some really good innings and being independent up to the end how wonderful. It's a shame about the dementia, though; it's such a cruel disease. My Nana was the same as in she was sharp as a razor and very strong but lived on her own after my Granddad died. She used to be very independent, but after a few falls and a bad one, getting off the bus finally gave up her independence and stayed in. She also had daily carers to dress her legs but sadly died last year. She used to bake for me when I stayed with her as a child. She'd make the most delicious cupcakes or fairy cakes as we called them then, and they'd have little red and green bits in them. It was only last year I finally worked out what the green bits were. 😊

Last edited:
Johns mum was 92 when she died last July but she had dementia and was in a home for the last year of her life and bedridden.

Aww, bless her.

Going back to the jabs, though, we need to find out how @thomaseg1 is getting on. John mentioned that he'd been for one, and I wondered which one he had and how he's getting on from it.

It's practically summer outside now, so much so I think we can even give Bill a run for his money in the sunny stakes. 😎

Back on the tutorials this morning and then shortly getting back to making things in the kitchen. Han breaks up from school tomorrow, so I need to get a load of things done before she finishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back