What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [4] (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds as if you're well on the road to being able to bake fabulous cakes very soon, I supposed it's like anything major there is a learning curve.

I'll have to learn a new system next week when the engineers come to fit us with SkyQ. :dizzy::scream::D

Lol and me :confused1:....good luck with the SkyQ it drove me mad at first but now I have the hang of it, it's quite good.

Today I've made another Christmas cake and it's come out a lot darker than the last one. At first I thought I'd burnt it as a lot of the fruit was sat on the top when it baked which made it look darker. I've tried the sides and it's nice and soft so fingers crossed it's good.

I've also been making rabbits, sheep, bees, flowers and butterflies today ready for the meadow cake I have to make this week. :yum:

Perhaps you can answer this for me Angie, I already have multiroom and I'm getting the 1TB Sky box for the main tele in the living room plus 1 of those small boxes for the bedroom.

I know in the adverts and the reading at the Sky site you can take your recordings etc. to another room when you have one but what I want to know is, is it still possible to watch one program say in the living room and a different one in the bedroom at the same time ?

We'll forgive you Bill, I'd seen both of those films as well.
I already get my Television service through Sky with the dish on the side of the bungalow and an HD receiving box, but SkyQ is their latest type of box and I'm upgrading to that through one of their offers.

Perhaps you can answer this for me Angie, I already have multiroom and I'm getting the 1TB Sky box for the main tele in the living room plus 1 of those small boxes for the bedroom.

I know in the adverts and the reading at the Sky site you can take your recordings etc. to another room when you have one but what I want to know is, is it still possible to watch one program say in the living room and a different one in the bedroom at the same time ?

Yes, I watch my programs in one room whilst John watches his in another, whether they are recorded or live. I did ask him and he mentioned something about two master boxes and those being the ones that run separately after that if there is a third person watching then you may have a problem but I told him it was just you and John so you should be fine. We had connection issues when we first started using it on wireless so in the end we ended up getting wired so I didn't have to re boot the box every ten mins. The only thing I didn't like was losing all my progs stored on my old box when we changed over, oh and trying to find the tv listing of channels that eluded me for ages because you generally use one menu setting where you can access all your progs but the full TV listing is elsewhere and I could never remember where to find it! All in all though it is fine and now it offers up progs that may interest you.

When you getting it installed?

Next Wednesday Angie, yes it is only me and John and it's not often we watch anything different, mainly we watch in the living room and then in the bedroom for about an hour before settling down at night.

My Sky+HD box in the living room is a wireless one and we have no problems with that, the only problem we had with that was when it was first installed it was done the same time we had the new HD tele installed. We couldn't have it connected to the phone line, if we did we couldn't use the phone so the engineer decided to make it exempt from being connected and there have been no problems.

The bedroom box is an Sky+HD but that is not wireless so we can't use catch up etc. but it is connected to the phone line and there are no problems It wasn't worth having to buy a wireless connection for it.

I hope I don't have connection problems as we can't do wired as the router is at the other end of the bungalow, mind you I've not had any problems connecting anything via wireless so fingers crossed it will work. :scream:

I think the box phone connection is just for ordering fights and such. Also to collect your viewing habits :wink:

A Guy

I always understood it was to make sure you were entitled to watch the programs you were paying for.

I've ordered films on the living room box and that isn't connected to the phone line but is connected to the router via wireless and of course the dish on the side of the bungalow is connected with the wires that come into the house to both boxes.

My viewing card arrived in the post today and over the last couple of days I've been getting some of the films and documentaries, I had on VHS, that we really want on DVD. :)

I so rarely watch any TV. I listen a lot as I surf, but it's just following so to speak. A Guy

That's a bit like me Bill, I'm trying to catch up on the forums and sorting out emails while glancing up on a regular basis to see the action.

We don't subscribe to the sport or film channels John these days can't stay awake through one anyway and the films coming out these days are really not to our taste, although there might be the odd one but there aren't enough to make it worth the extra money it would cost so we'd rather just buy the DVD if we want it enough.

I've got one on pre-order via Sky at the moment, OK it's a cartoon but seeing the trailers for it quite tickled our fancy, Ferdinand, about a big bull.

The films we've just got on DVD are ones we've had on VHS for years, The Belstone Fox, Ring of Bright Water, Tarka the Otter and Orca - Killer Whale. John will go through the other tapes and see what else we want, I also got a few Michael Flatley, Riverdance, DVD's as well. I know there's a couple of Torvil and Dean I've got to look for and a couple of dancing ones done by a couple of the professional dancers from Strictly come Dancing.

I did wonder whether to get a VHS player for the ones we have but then thought that getting them on DVD would be better as the quality would be better and they take up less room and wont deteriorate like the tapes. :smiley:

I know when we saw the trailer on TV it was one we knew we'd enjoy, we have a few like it that we bought and really like.:)

I so rarely watch any TV. I listen a lot as I surf, but it's just following so to speak. A Guy

That's a bit like me Bill :smiley:

Lol, for a minute there I thought Joan had taken up surfing! :p

Ah VHS the good old days, we don't even bother with DVD's now although when we went to Tesco the other day we could have bought Guardians of the Galaxy 1&2 for less than it cost us to buy the first one because the cheapest place we could find it was on amazon! It's sad really now that anything decent you want to watch you have to pay for especially the amount we pay monthly for Sky.

Keep the VHS Tapes they'll become vintage at some point and you'll be sat on a fortune. I have old birthday vids and stuff on tape but we have nothing to play them on.

I'm sure your connection will be fine Joan, we always seem to have connectivity issues and once it gets wired it all seems to work.

Off to make tea now so see you later.

Lol either that or you could go into business together and make a fortune! I'll then be hunting round the house trying to find some to get in on it!

VHS, oh the old video recorders with the wire and the stop and play button remote control, crikey we thought that technology was amazing! Just look at how far we've come, I bark orders at the echo in the kitchen, you can talk to people round the world and you no longer have to go to a library for information. :wink:

I know, no wonder the libraries are having a hard time surviving. Don't have an Echo or such but I have used Skype to talk to a friend in Canada.

So far everything seems to be going OK with the SkyQ, I sat using my laptop yesterday and did a remote record set up for tonight.

I watch NCSI and set it to record How its Made as that's on at the same time. I shall have to remember that I can record more now while watching something else, with mine it's only 3 and watch a fourth but that is so much better than only to be able to record one while watching another.

What made it worse was when it came to the start and it told you there were programs about to start to record and you had to pick which one to stop, I'd quite often get it mixed up and stop the wrong one. :oops:

I am wondering though what happens if the Internet goes down, I mean it doesn't even have to be connected to the phone lines anymore. :dizzy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back