What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [4] (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so nice to have the heating working properly. The fitter came out on Wednesday after he'd been at a job in Pembroke Dock. He found the leak and fixed that, he said he'd have words with the fitter who did the work as the side panel was supposed to be removable and it wasn't so he had to get the hack saw on the job so it was.

While he was working he asked if I had any kitchen towel he could use, I said at least you asked, not like the fitter who just went in the loo and emptied nearly 2 toilet rolls and went in my kitchen cupboards and took my Fairy liquid out, all without asking, I was not pleased. :grrr:

The other thing was after the boiler had been fitted and he turned the system on the radiator didn't work in Johns office, a spare bedroom, he asked for a bowl and came out with it half full and the rad got hot. I didn't think any more of it because I don't go in his office that much, but the last few days found it just didn't work and was always cold. The new fitter said the original fitter had turned the valve off and not turned it back on but he'd turned it back on, it was one of the reasons the heating didn't work properly having one of the rads on the system turned off. :grrr:

Just a question of getting the temperature sorted out now so it's comfortable, the fitter said that could take a bit of time with trial and error till we'd got it to a a setting we're happy with. :D

You're right there Bill, the weather here is getting quite chilly and I can't take the cold so it's nice to have it working before it gets any colder. :scream:

I have heard of this chilly :p I'm glad you have a proper system and time to work out the best settings before it is a must have. A Guy

Oh Joan the first guy sounds like he was making it up as he went along. Glad the second guy knew exactly what he was doing and managed to resolve all the cock ups the first guy did. I can't believe the first guy went through all your cupboards and loo role, some people think they have a right to do what they want when they do a job for you but common courtesy should be the first thing they learn.

Well half term is now over so we're back to normal although my pc isn't playing nice. My internet keeps cutting out and the speaker keeps having a wobbler. I gave up in the end although I did like the little dinosaur on my screen that kept telling me I had no connection. Lol, small things and all that. :D

We're not completely there yet with the heating system, when it first comes on the radiators are hot all over but after it's been on for a while they're only hot at the top and cold or lukewarm at the bottom. If it was the other way round that would be no problem as they would just need bleeding.

I phoned the fitter who came and sorted out the leak and he said it would be what they call sludge in the bottom, all the rubbish that gathers over the years and the only way you'd get rid of that was to remove the rads empty them flush them through and replace and refill, it wasn't something that came as part of the grant scheme so they didn't do that, anyway I've told the landlord and he'll talk with his plumber and take it from there.

I said I'd get rid of any niggles before the really bad weather set in.

Hope you manage to sort your connection out, have you been in touch with your ISP to see if they're having problems at their end ?

Ooh the dreaded sludge I remember my Dad emptying our rads as a kid and the stuff that sits in the bottom is awful. I do hope they flush it through for you though as you can't come this far and not finish the job properly albeit a pain in the bottom.

John's system is fine it's just mine, I think it's having a bit of a wobbler because I did updates yesterday and after that it all went to pot! :p The funny thing is though every time John walked in my connection worked then later it would stop. Seems to be ok now so I think it was having a blip. Fingers crossed you get warm and I stay connected! :D

The landlord and his plumber have been round today it's got them puzzled and can't really see how it would be sludge since just having a new boiler fitted. They asked if it had happened when the old one was in and I said not as far as I can remember, perhaps it had and I just didn't notice because once it was turned on the radiators always just seemed to be hot, perhaps I hadn't actually felt down the bottom of them. :dizzy:

There was a bit of air in the system but not enough he said to cause these sort of problems, especially as when the system is first turned on they are hot all the way down and they're like that for at least the first say couple of hours.

Anyway he's put the pump control up to the top notch so it pumps the water around stronger and he'll come back in a couple of days to check how it's going, plus put a jacket on the immersion tank, it's never had one, at the moment nothing has changed. :(

Your system is probably frightened to death of John that's why it behaves itself when he walks in. :p

So as well as my heating problems today I've been battling with a new printer John got himself. :eyeroll:

We've always had Epson but he bought himself a Canon, because the printer I have in my office, which we all connected to via the Homegroup and Wi-Fi with no problems, has suddenly started to not want to print instead throwing up the error that it was out of paper or not loaded properly, grrrrrrrrr, no matter how many times I took the paper out and reloaded. :grrr:

Anyway John decided he'd get a printer just to use on his machines and leave me with the Epson. Now the fun begins. Obviously after the last load of updates the Homegroup went walkabout and trying to get it back so I could share the printer from Johns machine with his laptop ended up just not working even trying to share it with my Homegroup and having the right password wouldn't work kept telling me it was the wrong password, I gave up and plugged the USB cable from the printer to the laptop stuck the CD into it and installed all the necessary stuff, yippee he can print, now all he has to do is plug the USB cable into whichever machine he wants to print from and print, it's already set to print from his clients house and their printer.

Needed to have it working for mid afternoon as he needed to finish the payroll and print out the wage slips from the laptop so his client had to bring the stuff to us so he could do it. He usually goes there on a Tuesday with his laptop but coming back from Lidls yesterday the car packed up and he had to have the AA out and they couldn't fix it and towed him to the garage, he probably wont get it back till Friday as they are super busy, only got it back a couple of weeks after getting it through it's MOT. :grrr:

As for my printer I'm just going to uninstall it and set it all up again, hopefully that will fix it's gremlins. :eyeroll:

So how's the printer? You did a great job with John's hopefully now yours will behave itself. My pc connection seems to be okay and I can connect so I'll have to see how it goes.

Oh no the cars not playing nice now either it's always the way. Hope you manage to get it fixed and everything starts working as it should do.

Don't be silly, John phoned the garage yesterday and they were trying to get the part, they said getting it from Hyundai was ridiculous but he had a place he used and he'll try there so John had to catch the bus so he could fill a couple of black bags with hay from the car for the guinea pigs.

He phone late today and they'd got the part but of course it wasn't an easy part to fit but they'd have it done today but because of the times he couldn't get over there by bus and they're not open Saturdays so he'll have to pick it up Monday. He's still got to go over though tomorrow and try to get some food and hay for the pigs from the pet stall on the market. :eyeroll:

The printers dead, went on chat yesterday with Epson and after telling them the problem and doing a couple of tests for them he said it was a problem with the printer so if it was still in warranty I'd have to take it back to Argos, of course I'd have to go trying to find the paper work and John said just get another one.
Went online to Argos and picked the cheapest Epson All-in-One they had and had it delivered Fast Track, the time was between 7 and 10, it probably arrived about 1½ hours later. After ordering it I went to look more closely at the specs for it and saw it didn't list Windows 10 as one of the OS's for it. Another chat session this time with Argos, said about it maybe not working with my machine and she said that was OK I had 30 days to return for a refund or just not accept it and then get back in touch and they'd arrange a refund, she told me she could cancel the order, but then came back and told me she couldn't because it was already loaded on the van. :eyeroll:

I told her I'd leave it and if it didn't work I could just send it back which she agreed I could. Nice surprise when it arrived as it was a more up to date version to the machine I had ordered and it said on the box it worked with 10 yippee.

Now for the fun part, started to set it up today, it was taking longer because I was interrupted by Richard the plumber who came to fit the jacket on the cylinder and have another go at the heating.
So back to the printer, went through all the set up with said it was successful but then said there was a Firmware update for it, started the process and it failed, gave reasons including printer not turned on, USB cable not connected etc. tried again and the software wasn't responding so I had a think and took the USB cable out of the slot it was in and put it into the slot on front of the tower and bingo it started working and I got the update. :D

I just doing with this one the same as I did with John's and just connecting via USB and forgetting the Homegroup and sharing, if I want to print from my laptop, which isn't that often, I'll take it into my office and plug the cable into it. :wink:

You know my posts the last few days feel like I'm writing a novel, oops. :roflmao:

Funny as I was reading this I was going to reply, "Joan, you should write a book", lol. You have more drama than a soap opera :)

BTW, the guy who detailed my car sent me some pictures from his shop

jHg5q1j.jpg

wAXMHvH.jpg

A Guy

I know, life is never dull here, especially saying I don't leave it. :p In the end after setting up my desktop thought I'd give Wi-Fi a try with my laptop. I set the printer up to connect to my router then went back into the living room picked a short coloured email and asked it to print. By the time I got up and went back to the printer it was coming out of it, hurrah happy camper here. :D

The photo's you have are great, I bet you feel 10ft tall driving around in it, I'd never get in or out of it though.:( John should be able to go and get his car back tomorrow. :wink:

I think she should write a comedy Bill, you couldn't make this stuff up! Well fab day today as I've been to the Cake and Bake Show with Jules. I've just finished pulling my photo's off and am looking forward to doing a full write up and showing you all the lovely creations they had. It's been a busy old week so I'm definitely looking forward to the weekend.

Here's the start of the write up to today's Cake and Bake Show!

We've got the car back, it turned out the first senser they sent for was faulty. The replacement arrived about 3.30pm on Tuesday afternoon and when John phoned them they were fitting it but of course they then had to have it running for a good time to check it was working so he said he'd pick it up on Wednesday. He phoned in the morning and it was fixed yippee.

If they'd gone to Hyundai to get the part it would have cost over £200 just for that but the garage boss went to a supplier they use and it cost £117 + VAT and they only charged him 3 hours labour so altogether he paid what it would have cost just for the part at Hyundai.

It never rains but it pours here, Peter, Kelly's hubby got rushed to hospital at the beginning of the week with Acute Pancreatitis. At first they thought it might be gall stones but after scans and tests etc. they now know what it is, he's been suffering for the last 2 years but they just gave him antibiotics thinking it was a stomach bug.
They finally got it sorted because he went to the doctors on Monday and he had a bad attack so they saw how bad he was, they had to give him morphine for the pain then send for an ambulance to take him to hospital. He came home yesterday afternoon so they now as a family have to learn to live with the condition, it can't be cured and he'll have it for life.

Right that's the latest chapter in the book so you're all up to date. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back