What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [4] (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you are in the know now so if anyone ever asks you about them you already have the insider knowledge! :D

I pictured it different...

lZD9GOF.jpg

A Guy

I have never actually witnessed the Changing of the Guard so I could not comment! We have been to London but never actually done the sites.

@Bill ROFL

I've only been to London once and that was on a day trip with the wood working firm I used to work for in the early 70s. We didn't do the sites as such but do know we went to Carnaby Street and St. Pauls Cathedral, went right up into the Whispering Gallery.

I have been to London twice now, once to the theatre and once to a meeting. We did discuss going to London this year and doing the sites and John went a few weeks ago but one we haven't got round to it yet and two we want to make sure we have good weather.

Got a busy day tomorrow, well I've had a busy one today preparing for a delivery tomorrow. My tumble dryer has been playing up lately setting the dial to the minutes to run it would start when you pushed the button but taking your finger off it stopped. If I managed to get it just to the right setting it would hold and work so I'd be able to dry my washing.

Beginning of the week I was washing the bedding, and it's all king sized, put the duvet cover in the dryer and no matter how many times I clicked it round it just would not stick so I couldn't use it. I'd tried a bit later and this time it ended up being dead with no life at all, I assumed it was the fuse gone but I didn't bother changing it, the machine was probably about 20 years old and about 10 years ago had been fitted with a new drum and motor.

Went to ao.com and picked a Hotpoint vented dryer, the old one is a Hoover, that was fitted with the vented hose coming out the back and when the new kitchen was fitted they made a hole in the wall to the outside for the hose to go out and I thought why waste that, it sits at the side of the washing machine. The kitchen fitters were fitting the cupboards and so made the opening the right size to fit them both side by side and instead of making holes in the worktop for the plugs to come through they put the sockets in a cupboard at the side so the cables run from the back of the machines through a hole at the back of it so they're hidden.

The delivery men will unpack and take away the packing also the old machine, I didn't pay for disconnection and connection so today I've been cleaning the front of the machine so it doesn't look so grubby and then had to pull it out so I could disconnect and take the vent pipe off the machine. I pushed it back in the gap a short way so at least they can get to take it away. Ok I've b******d myself up now but at least I'll get a bit of a rest before I have to fit the new one in it's place.

Oh I know I'm a fool to myself doing what I do but if something wants doing I've just got to get stuck in, the doctor would probably have a heart attack if he saw me but as far as I'm concerned in my head I can do anything even if physically I can't. :scream:

Oh my word Mrs I don't know whether to laugh or cry. What on earth are you doing fitting dryers. :p

Oh you do make me laugh but if you're happy doing it and it saves a few quid then hats off to you my dear, there's no flies on you! :cool:

It may take you a little while to sort but you'll have tons of satisfaction knowing that you've done it yourself.....you go girl! :D

I tell you I can feel Joan the series coming on...

I've just finished watching Peter Kay's Car Share, I absolutely loved it!

I know this clip is from season one but at least it gives Bill an idea of what I'm on about! :p

Last edited:
I've just finished watching 1 & 2 of the new series and it's just as funny as the first, I'm sorry there will only be 4 episodes.

OK it could only happen to me, dryer came today about 11am and I didn't have to fit it, the lovely drivers did it for me. :)

I did the first load of washing as normal then put it in the dryer, it didn't need as long as my old dryer to dry the load. OK put the next load in started it off and didn't really notice any problems but it did seem to take longer, but I'd forgotten to push the button that takes time off it doing the full length of time, ok got to the end opened the door and everything was still soaking wet :scream: Tried a few times to set it to do just a spin plus tried the drain only, which seemed to work, but the spin just didn't work it sounded more as if it was adding water for a rinse but never did the spin. Had to ask my neighbour to put it in her machine to spin it so I could get it in my tumble dryer. :(

So that's another machine I've had to order coming next Tuesday because it will be free, already had to add the cost of them doing the disconnection and installing the new one and take away the old machine and packing. OK it's another that's getting on for 20 years old but come on give me a break I've now had to use my birthday and Christmas money I use to get from mother-in-law to pay for it, there goes any new technology for me, I was saving. :(

Lol, acquired taste I guess. If it's good, someone over here will make an American version though. They tend to do that :eyeroll:

A Guy

I tell you what Joan you definitely get your monies worth out of your household items. We're lucky if we get to five years with our stuff! So how have you been managing to do the washing in the meantime?

It's always the way, you replace one and then something else goes, at least now though they will both be the same age and if they last another twenty years each then that won't be too bad. :cool:

I was lucky the other day I'd just finished the last strand of hair and then my straighteners broke. They played a little merry tune which then shouldn't have done and then died. It was like the ending of cartoons..that's all folks. I was really glad I managed to get all my hair straight though before they died otherwise there would have been trouble and seriously bad hair! :p

So I take it, it will be a busy washing day for you then tomorrow?

@Bill that dress is absolutely magnificent, if I would have spent all those hours creating such a masterpiece then I wouldn't be letting anybody cut it. It is such a work of art that it should be admired and not eaten!

Han says she wants a Dr Who cake when she gets married so I have lots of ideas for that one. :)

The washing is just building up till the new machine is here, luckily we have enough clothes to wear till the machine gets here, I worked it out that way so I could get the free delivery as it's costing enough to get it installed and everything taken away.

I could have gone to my neighbour and used her machine if I'd have needed too, it just means I'll have more washing when it gets here than a normal wash day. :)

Ha ha savvy I like it and working out your washing in advance! At least this one is free installation, that's very nice of your neighbour to offer but I'm not sure I'd like to wash my smalls in someone else's machine lol! :p

I did the same as you when ours broke, it built up like a holiday wash and then I spent the next few days working the machine hard to get everything washed and back to normal.

Speaking of deliveries my cake bake snake mould should be here this week! :D

Hans also had her first drum lesson today, she really loved it, the teacher is trying to source a snare drum kit for her to practice on at home....I'm not sure I'm going to agree to that! :scream:

:D Have you got your ear plugs at the ready. :eyeroll:

Well the machine turned up today, it came just after 8am, not done any washing yet do it tomorrow, just done the initial empty wash, at least it gives me an idea of how it works through the cycle. Registered it as well to get the 10 year parts guarantee, got that on the tumble dryer as well, they're both from the same parent company Whirlpool. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back