What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [4] (14 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Christmas is pretty much null and void this year; I still have presents from last year that I couldn't give to people so I have told them that I wouldn't be buying this year as I don't see the point as we have no idea when we'll be able to see each other again.

Well I'll be having chicken as I've been told I'm going to Kelly's for Christmas dinner.
I'll be staying up tonight to see if I can get a Saturday slot, I'll be able to get rid of that Tuesday one then if I do. I'm tired now as the last few months I've not slept well.

I'm glad someone's getting chicken; I want chicken because turkey is such a faff and I never end up having any and end up with potatoes and veg for my Christmas dinner.

I think we'll be skipping Thanksgiving and Christmas here. The virus is running rampant, and after isolating all this time, I don't want to catch it for a get together...not that big a deal as it's often hard to get everyone together, and wouldn't be the first time

Stay safe!

A Guy

I don't blame you, Bill, it's best to stay safe until this thing is finally over!

I agreed with Angie there Bill you stay safe.

Still no slot, sat up late and was ready for the clock to turn from 23.59 to 12.00, oh wonders of wonders every single slot unavailable, grrrrrrrrrrr I phoned them this morning on the priority list phone number but still no joy.

Oh, Joan, I hope they can sort something for you, I think we ended up with the Tuesday slot too. That's really bad, especially for the amount of time you've spent waiting. You must have the patience of a saint.

We have Chemistry today; I'm currently sat at the table cracking the whip over Han's revision. 👩‍🏫

I'm currently waiting to find out what revision 'we' have to do today... 😂

Nothing exciting today, a bit of a mix and match day, not really got anything done but got lots of little things done.

I'm feeling a bit happier, I got a Sunday slot at Tesco, yippeeeeeeeeeeee

Aww, fabulous. I'm so glad you managed to get sorted out. Last night's revision was Physics, we may be on for some Chemistry later.

You lost me at Physics, I'm so glad I don't have to do any homeschooling or my kids would be so thick. :dizzy:

You lost me at Physics, I'm so glad I don't have to do any homeschooling or my kids would be so thick. :dizzy:

I'm sure they wouldn't. 😆The best thing now is the internet with all its online teachers and videos.

I thought she said psychics...

A Guy

Lol! That would be far more interesting. 🤣

Physics (I nearly started typing psychics then!) wasn't my best subject, and she nearly did me in with quantitative chemistry back in our homeschooling days. However, luckily she has some books to help her this time, and the teachers have given the resources to do exam questions online for practice so currently all I have to do is glare, point and tell her to crack on with it. I like her new school! 😁

Really, not even in school? Wow, I've never known anybody not learn two-thirds of their sciences before. They were mandatory for us, and we had to do Biology too. Han's lucky she can pick which ones she wanted. When she did finally get home last night, it was Spanish on the agenda, so I didn't have to do anything with that. :)

So I'm now curious as to what subjects you did actually learn at school, Joan included?

Lets see the usual , RWA, English(Never learned to speak it well and couldn't parse a sentence today)
Spanish (can't speak that either, Just a good place to play chess).
Geometry, Astrophysics, Music Appreciation, Literature (American, Old English, and various).
Never took Biology or chemistry. Art, Library Sciences. Typing (Terrible there)
Civics (they canceled that the year after I took it
Home Econ , (should have been Bachelor Living but that was full and didn't mine being
in an all girl class) :)
usual lame History classes so watered down ...Myths had more credibility.

Oh I forgot one, not one on the Approved list, BioFeedback .
Well it was the 70's and Esp was hot then.

The basic 3 Rs, reading, ritting and rithmatic. :eyeroll: History, Geography, Art, RE, Home Economics which included a bit of cookery and sewing.

A bit of sport ie. hockey in winter and tennis in summer and indoor gymnastics like the climbing ropes, pommel horse and beams and a term going to the local baths to learn to swim.

In the last year before I left at 15 I took shorthand and typing and wanted to stop on the extra year to carry on with that but my parents said I had to leave and get a job and bring money in for my keep.

We had the sciences, Biology, Voodoo, Lego...

Biology was as "deep" as I went, no Physics, Calculus (I did do Geometry and Algebra...use that all the time
sarc.png
), English, History, Social Studies, Government ( never taught us what we have going on here now!) PE, Typing (Yes, on typewriters. I got an F, me and 30 girls in a class...I was distracted)I had a semester of Spanish, one of Italian. More because it was required, I didn't learn to speak it (Adónde va Pepito¿). Honestly, I skated through High School, I had too much fun and smoked a little. :)

A Guy

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets see the usual , RWA, English(Never learned to speak it well and couldn't parse a sentence today)
Spanish (can't speak that either, Just a good place to play chess).
Geometry, Astrophysics, Music Appreciation, Literature (American, Old English, and various).
Never took Biology or chemistry. Art, Library Sciences. Typing (Terrible there)
Civics (they canceled that the year after I took it
Home Econ , (should have been Bachelor Living but that was full and didn't mine being
in an all girl class) :)
usual lame History classes so watered down ...Myths had more credibility.

Oh I forgot one, not one on the Approved list, BioFeedback .
Well it was the 70's and Esp was hot then.

We had to take a language, either French or German, so I took French. Astrophysics that sounds much more interesting than regular Physics. Our teacher was quite boring, and we spent most of that lesson throwing notes back and forth while he was facing the blackboard. 🤣

I did want to do Home Economics, but we didn't have enough options so I couldn't take it, I'm sure you enjoyed your lessons with all the ladies. Han's like that at the minute she's doing ICT and had an all-boys class until one of the new girls joined who's taking it as well.

The basic 3 Rs, reading, ritting and rithmatic. :eyeroll: History, Geography, Art, RE, Home Economics which included a bit of cookery and sewing.

A bit of sport ie. hockey in winter and tennis in summer and indoor gymnastics like the climbing ropes, pommel horse and beams and a term going to the local baths to learn to swim.

In the last year before I left at 15 I took shorthand and typing and wanted to stop on the extra year to carry on with that but my parents said I had to leave and get a job and bring money in for my keep.

The three 'Rs' were what we were taught at primary school, I never took geography because I'm awful at it but did really want to take typing to increase my speed, but that wasn't something that was taught as a subject when I hit high school. Ooh, gymnastics, I was really good at that at primary school as well as netball, I was on the team, and we won a tournament which I still have my trophy for somewhere. We did do hockey at high school and also the high jump and cross country. We also had weekly trips to the swimming baths at primary school too.

We had the sciences, Biology, Voodoo, Lego...

Biology was as "deep" as I went, no Physics, Calculus (I did do Geometry and Algebra...use that all the time View attachment 5462 ), English, History, Social Studies, Government ( never taught us what we have going on here now!) PE, Typing (Yes, on typewriters. I got an F, me and 30 girls in a class...I was distracted)I had a semester of Spanish, one of Italian. More because it was required, I didn't learn to speak it (Adónde va Pepito¿). Honestly, I skated through High School, I had too much fun and smoked a little. :)

A Guy

I can still remember a paper I did at school where they were asking you to work out the angle of elevation of a man stood on a ladder. I can honestly say I have never needed that nor have I ever used it.

As for typewriters, I had only ever used a manual one in my younger days and had always used computers. I used to type codes into my BBC Computer to improve my typing skills and then watch in awe as it made the shape on the screen. So you can imagine my surprise a few years later at a new job the only technology they had were electric typewriters.

Last night's revision was stats, working out the geometric mean and so forth. I got one of the questions right (go me), but then one of the questions got a little complex so I'm hoping Han goes through it with the teacher so she can tell me how to do it. 🤓

...I've just been mooching on the internet and worked out our maths problem. Lol! Can't wait to show her my workings later.

Whoop Whoop GIF by memecandy

Last edited:
It was a manual typewriter I used in school, mainly Imperial, and Pitmans Shorthand, which was the standard in those days and the hardest to learn, hence the reason I wanted to stay on the extra year so I could carry on mastering it.

I was in my middle 50s before I touched a computer. I was in the same school all the time, started when I was 5 then when you reached 11 you took exams and if you passed you went to grammar school, I didn't pass so stayed on in Secondary School till I left at 15.

I did do night school after for audio typing but still didn't get a job in an office,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back