What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [4] (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angie, do you have this one? :D

HMB.jpg

A Guy

It was a manual typewriter I used in school, mainly Imperial, and Pitmans Shorthand, which was the standard in those days and the hardest to learn, hence the reason I wanted to stay on the extra year so I could carry on mastering it.

I was in my middle 50s before I touched a computer. I was in the same school all the time, started when I was 5 then when you reached 11 you took exams and if you passed you went to grammar school, I didn't pass so stayed on in Secondary School till I left at 15.

I did do night school after for audio typing but still didn't get a job in an office,

I had one of these when I was younger.

typewriter.jpg

I learned Pitmans Shorthand in my late teens as requested by the Director of the company I worked for at the time, and I mastered audio typing after another Director from another company I worked for dictated his letters that way. I worked in an office since I left school and then learned everything else I know, either by myself or took courses. I'm usually always learning something even now!

Angie, do you have this one? :D

View attachment 5463

A Guy

Lol! That's fab; I want one! 🤣

That looks like a portable machine Angie, never used one of those the school machines were the standard ones which were big and heavy.

Oh! you definitely one of those moulds Angie, he's cute. 🤣

I have no idea where it came from, it was probably somebody getting rid of it, but I remember playing about on it as a kid and sorting out the black and red ribbon.

The mould is funny; these have got to be the people that make them right?

They've actually got some really good designs.

I just clicked on the cat link and had a quick look. They had some brilliant ones, the kitty butt made me laugh and reminded me of John laughing when we were watching The Secret Lives of Pets 2, he said they haven't got bumholes. 😂

I think it was from Bakerlogy, but they don't seem to have that design when I scrolled through. Not to worry, I have ordered myself a few bits and pieces today instead. I would have loved to have made them though as they're well funny!

Now back to my post that I've been writing for two days! 🤓 Lol! That's why I snook off for a bit of shopping on the net.

shopping GIF

I've also managed to locate one of the moulds that I lost between houses.

Last edited:
Yes sort of, I'm still going for things in the wrong places, but I'm used to the setup and am starting to get some kind of routine going. It'll be nice when I can feel the benefits from it, i.e. places are a lot closer, everything isn't a massive trek, and we can actually get out and about and do more.

I should think there are a lot of people who can't wait to get out and about.

It doesn't make any difference to me I'll just be glad when I've finished with all this paperwork I've got such a stack of it. The main thing is the car, I just wish they'd come and repossess it and be done with it plus let me know just how much money I'm going to be getting. :scream:

Oh, my word that is good! The problem being is my head would say turkey, turkey, turkey but I'd be tasting cake so I don't know whether I could actually eat it and enjoy it. 🤔

I should think there are a lot of people who can't wait to get out and about.

It doesn't make any difference to me I'll just be glad when I've finished with all this paperwork I've got such a stack of it. The main thing is the car, I just wish they'd come and repossess it and be done with it plus let me know just how much money I'm going to be getting. :scream:

I know, although at this rate we have no idea when that will actually be.

How are you doing with all the paperwork? Have you managed to find all the stuff you were looking for? I do hope you manage to get sorted with it and the car company is doing all they can to help you. I think the problem we have at present is everything, and everyone is on a go-slow, so it's taking ages to get anything sorted. We've still been getting the runaround by two energy companies for the best part of three months well probably 6 to 7 if you factor in the two faulty meters, a load of money spent on energy we haven't used and then the nightmare of trying to transfer them over to the new company which is all being stopped in its tracks (each one blaming the other) it's an absolute joke. But hey ho, people have it worse than us, so we keep going until it gets sorted.

Happy Friday lol 😝....sorry Happy Black Friday!

Will you guys be getting any deals today?

Last edited:
How are you doing with all the paperwork? Have you managed to find all the stuff you were looking for? I do hope you manage to get sorted with it and the car company is doing all they can to help you. I think the problem we have at present is everything, and everyone is on a go-slow, so it's taking ages to get anything sorted. We've still been getting the runaround by two energy companies for the best part of three months well probably 6 to 7 if you factor in the two faulty meters, a load of money spent on energy we haven't used and then the nightmare of trying to transfer them over to the new company which is all being stopped in its tracks (each one blaming the other) it's an absolute joke. But hey ho, people have it worse than us, so we keep going until it gets sorted.

Happy Friday lol 😝....sorry Happy Black Friday!

Will you guys be getting any deals today?
I've got paperwork coming out my ears, all demands, had a couple today although only one was a demand but when you get government papers coming in :scream: although the Inland Revenue one was ok as apparently our taxes are all in order and there should be a refund coming back, not a big one but it's better than the other way round.

The ladies I talked to on the phone were very helpful both Dept. for Works and Pensions and HMRC and told me to take my time they'd wait they told me to just take one step at a time. Trouble is I can't do that, I need to try and get everything sorted as soon as, that way I don't have as much time to brood plus once it's all sorted out I can stop worrying and making myself ill.

I haven't heard anything yet from the car people, but as the Direct Debit has been cancelled I expect they'll soon get in touch when they find out they can't get any more money.

You're not having such a good time yourself by the sounds of it Angie I hope those companies get their act together and you can start enjoying the house.

I usually find making a list of everything I have to do gives me some kind of order and gets all the things that are whizzing around my brain out. Thus leaving me enough room to sort out one thing at a time. The last thing you want to do is work yourself up so set yourself maybe one or two demands a day and then deal with those and then make a list of all the other stuff you need to sort and then work through that.

I'm glad you're taxes are in order, but with John and his accounting I'm not surprised, and I'm sure he was very methodical with everything even though it wasn't filed that way. I agree with the ladies you've spoken to and just take your time, but you know what's best for you. Please take it easy though; you're doing a great job sorting things out so just be kind to yourself.

As for me, pfft, you have to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all, but in the grand scheme of things it's no biggie, and it's not the end of the world so it'll get sorted if and when it's supposed to, so until then, we just carry on regardless. 😂

Oh, you're going into the Carry on Films now are you. 😂

I know I should slow down but I can't seem to follow my own advice thinking the sooner I get things done the sooner I can stop worrying about what has to be done if you know what I mean.

I'm still feeling very raw and emotional but just can't slow down till everything has been sorted out even though it's causing me problems, I'll get there. When Kelly phoned me today she said even though she doesn't want either of us to go in some ways she's glad her dad went first as she thinks I'll be able to cope better than he would have done if I'd gone first.

That's true of my parents as well. Not that Dad was clueless or anything, but I think my Mom was better able to cope

A Guy

It's probably got some truth in the old saying that women are the stronger sex. I think it probably stems from them being the ones mainly responsible for having to bring up a family and all that entails.

I do know that once everything is sorted out this place will be a lot easier to keep clean and stay that way longer, John was so messy and untidy and I'm now finding out he was worse than I thought and the amount of stuff I've got to sort through is a nightmare. :eyeroll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back