What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [2] (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feeling almost human, thanks Joan. Back to work tomorrow, it will be fun...

A Guy

I'm a qualified accounting technician and have done accounts for more than 15 years, I was due to do my chartered when I found out I was pregnant with Han so I never ended up doing it. I've done all sorts of accounts over the years with everything from management accounts, payroll, onsite accounts for various companies, insurance accounts etc but now I just do mine and Johns. I always seem to have a hand in it somewhere. :wink:

Oh Bill I do hope you get well soon, I'm sure the sunshine is calling your name. :thumbs:

Today I am on part one of the Frozen cake! :D

John had been doing accounts since leaving college, first at Rolls Royce then Breedon & Cloud Hill which was a quarry company who provided the stone used in motorway maintenance plus other stone and he did all the costing for them. He wasn't chartered either but was highly qualified, at Breedon there was the CEO then the company secretary, who was chartered, then John. The only ones in your list he didn't do were Insurance accounts, Rob did them, he was the company secretary.

It's so annoying when he can just rattle off maths etc. while I've got to get the calculator out. :eyeroll:

Hope the frozen cake works out OK. :wink:

Hi my name is Cory, this seems to be as good a place as any for my first post here. After a lot of searching for a forum about baking I have landed here. I have read through some sections and this looks like the place we (me and my wife Robbin)were looking for.
Recently Robbin decided baking was her hobby and started just baking for friends and co workers. Now we are getting orders for all kinds of themed cakes and cupcakes. So being new to the hobby we are looking for tips and tricks to help make the process more consistent. Sometimes our fondant turns out great and other times it seems no matter what we do it just doesn't work out to well.
Just wanted to introduce myself and share some of the things we have done so far. Look forward to learning and meeting new friends to share the excitement with! This week we have a Joker themed cake and a Super hero themed cake to make neither have we attempted before so fingers crossed they turn out as expected.
As promised here are a few we have done considering I didn't even know what fondant was a few weeks ago please be kind in your criticism lol. Seriously opinions are welcomed be it positive or negative like I said I'm here to learn!
Our very first experience with fondant. All was home made except for the santa body (our fondant wouldn't keep the shape well so we had to use store bought for that piece)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423108596.093286.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423108736.360118.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423108756.460003.jpg
We did this one for our family at Thanksgiving.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423108797.275935.jpg
Red velvet with red candy melt drizzle
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423108851.876044.jpg
Out second and third try with fondant this time using a marshmallow recipe these were done the week of Jan 1st 2015
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423108909.309835.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423109006.926148.jpg
The butterflies on the second were made with candy melts and colored white chocolate melt.

We have also had a couple of large cupcake orders this was an order of 250
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423109167.343107.jpg

Hope you like cant wait to get to know others here!
Cory.

Hi Cory, Hi Robbin, welcome to Help Me Bake and thank you for joining. We are always pleased to help and anything we can do to help we will. :D WOW what an array of cakes you have posted, seeing as you are new to baking and cake making you are doing a really great job. Congratulations on all your orders too.
:thumbs:

The pictures are fantastic so please feel to upload them to the showcase blog section of the site this is where we post our cake creations to inspire others. I love the Santa Feet cake, that's funny.

With regards to fondant it can be a little hit and miss sometimes, if you have dyed it a different colour you must leave it to rest for a while before using it otherwise it will be one big mess. If it is overworked it can go funny; too much cornstarch or confectioners sugar can dry it out or too much vegetable fat can make it overly greasy. Heat and humidity are always a factor so ensure to roll out on a cold surface or in a cooled area.

We use a hardening agent in England that helps fondant retain its shape when making models, or decorations, we have different ones called Tylo Powder or Gum Tragacanth. You call it Tylose Powder or CMC. Basically you add a little amount to your fondant let it rest for a while then when you make your model it will harden and hold it's shape. If you do not wish to use this then you can always place a dry piece of spaghetti in your models to help them stay in shape. Hope this has been helpful. :wink:

We look forward to seeing the pictures of the Joker cake and Superhero Cake too, here are some superhero cupcakes I made which may inspire you a little.

Hope the frozen cake works out OK. :wink:

I'm on part 2 today Joan, I will show you the finished article by the end of the week! :D

Welcome to the forum Cory and Robbin, you'll find lots of help here but looking at the cakes you've done it looks like you're well on your way to creating fabulous cakes. :D

Enjoy looking around the site you'll get lots of ideas to help you. :wink:

Welcome to Help Me Bake Cory and Robbin. You jumped in feet first didn't you? You are braver then I am :wink:

A Guy

Isn't it wonderful Bill what they have accomplished, you can do anything if you set your mind to it. Robbin has also become a member as well as Cory so I look forward to speaking to both of them from now on. :D

I am looking forward to the Lion King today, I am a little excited almost now seeing as how everyone is telling me how good it is. I will give you my reviews later.

Your finished cake looks wonderful Cory, well done to you both. I'm not surprised the customer liked it. :thumbs:

I'm not sure yet, I may do some cupcakes as it's my Mum's birthday, I have a lovely heart shaped mould that I haven't used yet to make decorations so I may play about with that. Have you got any cakes lined up? I did see a great way of making a heart shaped cake without a heart shaped tin. I will post how to do it shortly....

Here it is....How to make a heart shaped cake without the tin.

I wont be doing anything but will watch what everyone else does with interest. :wink:

Just to let you know Cory that I have moved the Superhero Cake pics and advice over to the Help and Support section, I have done this so that it has it's own thread and if anybody else needs help with the same kind of cake the information is easy to find. Plus they get to see your wonderful work too! :D

I did mine at Christmas, took me ages even though I have a small freezer. Have you finished yours now Joan?

Bill are you feeling better now?

We have had quite a few new members join in the last few days, I do hope they pop in and say Hello! :wink:

I have been adding more pics and info to the Frozen thread today and I will be posting another tutorial shortly.

Yes I have Angie, it was one of my under counter freezers, I've got 2 of them plus a large Beko fridge freezer and another fridge used for the guinea pig food. :)

I've now got to do the other one but that's not so bad, the Beko takes care of itself.:wink:

Crikey how many do you need lol! :wink: Ours is supposed to sort itself out but it had a build up of ice on it on the top so I thoroughly defrosted and cleaned it out at Christmas, I don't know how you go on wit that many one is definitely enough for me.

I've done the Madeira tutorial so I'm now off to help Han with her homework. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back