What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [4] (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow! Yes, you need to sort Payroll or else! 😮 How did he manage to break it? It's a good job you have a backup and your tech-savvy otherwise he'd be up the creek by now. :D

Plants got blown over yesterday; it's chucking it down today but other than that no storm.

We don't know what happened actually. Tuesday night he came in and asked me to turn it off, I didn't go to look at it straight away but when I did it was apparently doing an update and was at 2% and said not to turn the machine off, at the bottom it said it would restart several times.

So we had to leave it while we went to bed. Next morning I didn't bother going to look at it but left it to John, I don't have anything to do with it. He came in and said he couldn't do anything with it and when I went and looked it was at a command prompt saying no boot device found insert boot device and reboot. He never had a reboot device or did backups of the system, he has paper backups and a lot of the information on his desktop.

Anyway, after rebooting a couple more times it went to a screen that was apparently doing a repair, then another diagnosing the pc we then got the blue screen and after different things to try it was still not working.
That's when he put it in the corner and I carried on trying to sort out my laptop.

I had another look at it today and after getting the blue screen options I thought well nothing else had worked and the only one we hadn't tried was the recovery to factory settings, which would put it back to Windows 7, so I pressed that button, it didn't work so I've given up it's not my problem and I've stressed myself enough trying to sort it out for him.

I'm out of my comfort zone with it I'm just hoping he can get the payroll program onto my laptop and carry on, he doesn't think they'll carry on for much longer so it's not worth them buying him another one, the owner isn't in the best of health and what with the convid pandemic this years trading is more or less a write-off. They are usually open between the middle of March till the middle of November and they've only been able to open in the last couple of weeks and that's only with half the business viable because of restrictions.

BSOD, once that appears, it's generally game over! :eyeroll:

At least you've run through every possible scenario you can think of. Is it Sage Payroll or is it something else? I'm sure you'll be able to cobble something together so they can get paid. It's a shame about the Company, but I think for a lot of people it's the same for them too. My friend goes back to work shortly after being furloughed, and one of my others is doing part-time in the office at then working the rest from home.

It's been a very bizarre year for everyone. I'm fingers crossed that Han will go back to school soon. I need to keep a reminder of it, only because all the days are morphing into one and I don't know what date or month it is anymore.

Well a couple of days ago I thought I'd try one more thing, among the blue screen troubleshooting options was take it back to factory settings, I'd not tried that so thought ok he's lost everything on the machine anyway so I might as well try that, that didn't work either.

I've downloaded an ISO file but not burned it to DVD yet, I'll do that tomorrow but whether it's worth bothering trying that I don't know, the machine is obsolete. Knowing me though when I've got a few minutes to spare I'll see what I can do with that. 🙄

It's not Sage Payroll, it's one that Inland Revenue will accept but of course has to be paid for each year or if you have to upgrade to accommodate more employers. He did say he'd just go back to doing the payroll manually, he's got a supply of wage slips and envelopes, instead of having a program do it automatically. It's not something I have anything to do with so it's up to him what he does but at present they only have 1 employer who is paid weekly, plus the owner's partner who is paid monthly, because of restrictions they can't get the staff they used to have so are just doing take-away but it's hard on them.

Last edited:
I have several old computers you might need a bit of ram and maybe an SSD to get it working again.
Nothing is obsolete if you find a use for it. I have one old netbook that does nothing more
then collect emails.

I have several old computers you might need a bit of ram and maybe an SSD to get it working again.
Nothing is obsolete if you find a use for it. I have one old netbook that does nothing more
then collect emails.
I expect you can get into them though, they're not much use if you can't get into them and do anything. :D

It's worth trying everything that way you've exhausted all possibilities then. Wow, manual wages, I've not had them for about 20 years, they were brown envelopes with the cash in back then. Like you say there are only a few people that need paying at the moment so worst case scenario manually won't actually be that bad.

@thomaseg1 I'm sure Joan has her fair share of computers parts stashed away somewhere too. She finds uses for allsorts. :D Do you still read those emails that you're collecting? I'm always collecting emails, John goes mad at how many unread ones I have in my inbox. 😂

It could even be the CMOS battery but I've not opened it to find out and don't particularly want to, I don't have a replacement battery for it anyway, the only laptop I've opened was my Asus when I put another 4GB stick of RAM so it had 8GB to run on.

Tigger says "Cheer Up"

1598417436866.png

The infamous Tigger. :D

@Joan you're such a techie! 😂 I'm sure you could have re-built it quicker rather than all this process of elimination. The bottom line is though you'll make sure that they get paid so they'll love you for that. 😊

What a gorgeous cat, how old Thomas?
Nearly 3 years old , Found him abandoned in my back yard. Fit in the palm of my hand.
Named him Tigger after all my daughters' favorite book Winnie the Pooh.
When he was little he had more pronounced stripes and less white.
He also, unlike a lot of cats, likes water. He will hop in the shower if he gets a chance.

He looks a big cat, my eldest cat is big and has a thick coat and of course there is a lot of shedding while he's getting rid of his winter coat, he's all black apart from a few white hairs on his front and 17½. My youngest cat is also black apart from a white patch on her belly, she's just over 9 but short-haired so not so much shedding, she likes water.

The winter quilt has been brought out today; I'm not sure if it is cold or I'm getting a cold, but either way, the heating has been on and off, and the duvet is now ready in my freshly washed bedding. :D

I suppose I better a get a shower shortly too because currently, I look like nobody owns me. I tell a lie at the minute. I constantly look like nobody owns me, but at least I'm clean. 🤣

Sorry Joan I have to agree with Bill.

I just got my new glasses (with discount , AARP , and insurance) $600 .(Trifocals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back