What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [4] (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
made some cornbread from a recipe at the site below, turned out great.

Cornbread Recipe - Cafe Delites

Cornbread Recipe

A super moist, buttery cornbread with a fluffy centre, crisp edges and the perfect crumb -- this is the cornbread recipe you've been searching for!

PRINT
SAVE

Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 30 mins
Serves: serves
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted (or bacon drippings)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal (or polenta)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder (optional: yields a fluffier cornbread)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cup buttermilk shake before measuring
  • 2 large eggs
Instructions
  • Preheat the oven to 200C | 400F and position a rack in the middle. Lightly grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet or 9-inch square baking dish with butter and place skillet/dish into the oven to heat up.

(Alternatively for cast iron skillets: heat 1/2 cup of unmelted butter in your cast iron over stove top on medium heat until melted, turn heat off then allow the butter to cool slightly before adding to the batter.)
  • In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder (If using), baking soda and salt.
  • Make a well in the centre and add the buttermilk and eggs. Mix together well to combine, then add in the slightly cooled melted butter. Mix again until 'just' combined (don't over mix).
  • Carefully remove your 'hot' pan or dish from the oven with oven mitts, and pour the batter into the hot skillet or dish. Listen to that sizzle! That's what you want.
  • Bake until the cornbread begins to brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean (about 20-23 minutes). Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Notes
If you don't have buttermilk, you can make your own! Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar (or fresh squeezed lemon juice) to 1 cup of room temperature milk (full cream, 2% or skim can be use). Mix together and let sit for 5 minutes. Done! Prepare your 'buttermilk' as step one of this recipe to ensure it has soured enough before adding to your mixture.
Nutrition
Calories: 186kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 186mg | Potassium: 163mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 325IU | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 1.1mg

It's hot!

20200815_160818.jpg

A Guy

:scream: Are you melting, I think I would be, although until yesterday we've had some very hot days here. 🥵

So, things got real weathery around 3:30am. My phone gave me an alert for Severe Thunder Storms. It was 72° and calm, I thought WT... Within minutes the Thunder and lightning started, then the wind started howling, and finally the skies opened up. It was surreal! The rain didn't last long, and the wind died down about an hour later, but the thunder and lightning kept up until after 8am. The thunder was...well, thunderous! It was setting of car alarms, and shaking the windows.

I know parts of the US get that kind of weather often, but we don't here...it was very weird. It was only about 92° here today, and now it's around 72° at 11PM

A Guy

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been one of those hot (Very) Lazy summer days. and I was extremely lazy.

My Breakfast Toast with milk poured on them
Lunch Leftover Meatballs on hot dog rolls
Dinner microwave philly steak hot pockets.

We had lightning storms in the sky the other day with no rain; it was bizarre and beautiful to watch. We've then had thunderstorms, sunshine and then intermittent rain.

Lightning struck one of the houses near to us the other day and knocked all the power out. Later we were told that all the sockets had blown off the walls!

I spend my life messing with the air-con at the minute because I can't get an ambient temp going.

@thomaseg1 that Cornbread looks lovely. 😋

We had thunderstorms last week and we've had rain on the odd day, today has been a mixture of grey skies then an afternoon of blue skies and sunshine with very hot temperatures and now it's going between the two, it can't make its mind up how the day is going to end. There is a bit of a breeze as well.

I'd give up on the air-con Angie and just rely on open doors and blinds blocking out the sun, we've got a fan we can turn on if it gets too much. :D

The lightning started various fires around the area, so tonight it's like a campfire with all the smoke

A Guy

I hope those fires don't start something bigger Bill.

I've not got time to myself at the moment as I'm trying to sort out the mess that is Johns laptop, at the moment it looks like it's going to be a new install of 10 and he loses all his stuff. 🙄

Alice is a duck? :D

Bummer Joan, sounds serious. Yeah the fires are big, and all over. Not close to me of course

A Guy

Oh dear, we're apparently in for storms today.

@A Guy, I hope the fires don't create too much havoc.

@thomaseg1, yes send Alice for the mail, we don't want you slipping again. Do you have a boat just in case it gets too deep, and you could sail to the mailbox? :D

@Joan, how's the laptop coming?

Oh dear, we're apparently in for storms today.

@Joan, how's the laptop coming?
Well, it was savage here last night, lightning, torrential rain, thunder and a howling gale. the wind has been bad today but not quite as savage.

Johns laptop is sitting in a corner at present, I've been sorting out my other laptop for him to use as he needs to have the payroll program on it before next Tuesday so the staff can be paid and Inland Revenue is kept happy. :scream:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back