What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [5] (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol! I thought I was in the 'keep one change one game' there for a minute! 🤣

OK here, had a very nice young man around today, he was doing a survey to find eligible people to have loft insulations done under a government scheme, part of that insulating homes. The landlord wasn't available at the time to ask him about it but he came back a bit later to say he'd spoken to his wife and was sure he'd be agreeable to having it done.

At present my loft has very thick fibreglass insulation but apparently this would be changed to something better and not as damaging as there at the moment. It will be done next month if the landlord gives his permission, I'm sure he will.

That would be good especially if it gets updated and keeps you nice and toastie for winter. I'm not quite sure what they use these days. I remember as a kid we had fibreglass, and I've seen on TV they use expanding foam or foam blocks. John even mentioned lambswool! I never heard of that one.

If the landlord gives the go ahead, will it get done relatively quickly?

Well the man who came to do the survey booked it for the 28th of next month preliminary, depending on the landlord's verdict.

The landlord phoned me this morning about it and was rather sceptical about it, I said well I've got his number so I can just phone him and tell him not to bother.

He said to leave it with him for a while while he checks things out as he has been told that what is there now is more than adequate and nobody goes in the loft, I don't have anything stored up there. I think he wanted to find out what would actually be put in place of the fibreglass as he didn't want perfectly good insulation taking out and inferior stuff put back.

I'll just wait and see. :eyeroll:

If your loft is properly insulated with fiberglass, short of spray foam, I doubt you'd get much, if any advantage...even if Cellulose

A Guy

Well the man who came to do the survey booked it for the 28th of next month preliminary, depending on the landlord's verdict.

The landlord phoned me this morning about it and was rather sceptical about it, I said well I've got his number so I can just phone him and tell him not to bother.

He said to leave it with him for a while while he checks things out as he has been told that what is there now is more than adequate and nobody goes in the loft, I don't have anything stored up there. I think he wanted to find out what would actually be put in place of the fibreglass as he didn't want perfectly good insulation taking out and inferior stuff put back.

I'll just wait and see. :eyeroll:

That's fair enough; you want to ensure that what's in there is doing the job properly. I remember how thick the fibreglass used to be, and after looking it up online, it's still one of the ways they still insulate lofts. As long as your warm, that's the main thing, so leave the young man caller and landlord to sort it out amongst themselves.

What's on the menu this week?

If your loft is properly insulated with fiberglass, short of spray foam, I doubt you'd get much, if any advantage...even if Cellulose

A Guy
I agree Bill, the stuff in now is very thick, in fact you can't see the joists because it more or less covers them.
That's fair enough; you want to ensure that what's in there is doing the job properly. I remember how thick the fibreglass used to be, and after looking it up online, it's still one of the ways they still insulate lofts. As long as your warm, that's the main thing, so leave the young man caller and landlord to sort it out amongst themselves.

What's on the menu this week?
I'm not too bad Angie, although of course I can't generate as much heat into the place being alone so it means the heating gets a bit more use.
I've already had Cornbeef Hash and Cumberland Sausage and think I'll have Fishermans Pie tonight, I haven't decided what pudding to have yet. 😂

I agree Bill, the stuff in now is very thick, in fact you can't see the joists because it more or less covers them.

I'm not too bad Angie, although of course I can't generate as much heat into the place being alone so it means the heating gets a bit more use.
I've already had Cornbeef Hash and Cumberland Sausage and think I'll have Fishermans Pie tonight, I haven't decided what pudding to have yet. 😂

Well, as long as you're staying warm, that's all that matters. We're heating on heating off at the minute; we can't seem to get an ambient temperature. So until the weather properly levels out and we get some warmth into the bricks, then we'll just carry on doing what we're doing. 😂

Although I'm not too fond of the rainy weather, it does help that I can make hot teas each evening rather than it being freezing in the morning and then toastie in the afternoon, which leaves me trying to work out what on earth we were going to have to eat.

Ooh, proper stodge, I like it, 😁 so go then what pudding did you eventually have?

I made chicken dinner last night, but I wasn't really feeling it for some reason; Han and John enjoyed theirs, though.

I had Summer Fruit Crumble with custard. Tonight I'm having Roast Pork in Apple and Cider Gravy with Roast Potatoes, Carrots and Broccoli, it used to be just under £5 but the new Autumn/Winter range is out now and it has gone up to £5.15, which I still think is very good value.

Considering what you get, the fifteen pence increase is well worth it; you always seem to have delicious meals and fabulous puddings, so I'm glad you're still getting them. Do they have different menus each week, or do you just have regular ones that you choose?

I'm not sure about the Cider Gravy though; I'm never overly keen when they start sticking Ale, Cider or Wine in my food. I do love a crumble, though. Han asked me the other day to make one, so I think I'll do it when I get the chance.

Last night's pudding was West Country Clotted Cream Rice Pudding. The gravy with the pork is very nice.

Tonight it was Fishcake with diced Parsley Fried Potatoes and Mushy Peas. I have a jar of mint sauce which I put on the mushy peas and I mix up some parsley sauce to put over the rest. Pudding was Lemon Sponge with Custard.

They have lots of different meals and I just have what I like, if they bring in a new meal and I like the look of it I'll try it and if I like it I'll put it into my favourites, then each week when I'm ordering I'll order from my favourites list and replenish my stock.

Why don't you have a look online at their catalogue and it will give you an idea just what the range of meals they do. They have 3 sizes of main meals, the size I have then quite a lot are done in a mini size and also a hearty size for bigger appetites. There are menus in a free from range and also softer foods.

There is something for everyone.

I'd enjoy the hot dogs but not the mustard, for me it's tomato ketchup on sausage and brown sauce on bacon. :D

No, I don't do hot dogs. I don't like them, I do like mustard, but that's on a beef sandwich. I totally agree with your findings Joan, definitely ketchup with sausage and brown sauce with bacon; however, if I have bacon and egg together or a cooked breakfast, then I have ketchup.

Why don't you have a look online at their catalogue and it will give you an idea just what the range of meals they do. They have 3 sizes of main meals, the size I have then quite a lot are done in a mini size and also a hearty size for bigger appetites. There are menus in a free from range and also softer foods.

There is something for everyone.

The idea of the meals would probably give me a new menu, the problem I have is that things John and I like Han doesn't and things John and Han like I don't, then John likes other things on his own. So sometimes, I end up making two teas so that everyone gets fed. 🤪

Speaking of which, I need to sort out this weeks menu. 😁

Your house sounds a bit like mine when everyone was still here, even when it was just John and me, he liked a lot of things I didn't and vise versa. :)

Mustard for Salami, Ham or Pastrami, but never for Turkey, Chicken or Beef :wink: Those are mayo meats :p Mustard is OK on hamburgers, but generally, I'd prefer it not be

A Guy

You're missing out on the beef! 😁Okay, so what do you have on a BLT (Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato) then? If you're having chicken and turkey, you can have salt on them if having it plain, but it's got to be ketchup on a burger. All this food talk is making me hungry. 🤣

BLT is also mayo. Never liked Mayo until I was in High School. Had a bite of my friends sandwich and I heard harp music, lol

A Guy

I don't use Mayo but Salad Cream instead. If I'm going to have an egg sandwich I mash boiled egg with Salad Cream and then a layer of Cress on top with a sprinkle of salt between brown bread and butter. :yum:

Chipotles in adobo sauce. 1Tsp of the sauce to 1Tbsp mayo. Mixed together and put on beef sandwich, with finely chopped raw onion.
😋 divine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back