What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [4] (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mother loved Jury duty, which is why they probably kept calling her; they knew for
certain she'd be there. She was sorry when they gave her a permanent excuse.
But she was in the hospital at the time (sugar level through the roof) and over 70.

Aww, bless her, so over 70 is the cut-off point then. What's wrong with over 70's? Is it to do with the travel/health reasons?

Once you serve, or are not needed, it's 1 year before they can call on you again. I have been called multiple times. Now I automatically take the 6 months extension they let you take. Then when they send the notice, I hope I am not needed the night before.

Oh, my word every year! Noooooo!

I'm sorry to hear about the job, John used to work in IT for a carrier firm, and he knows that the lads had a lot of parcels to drop each day. Our amazon guys/gals are different all the time. They come in vans/cars with their kids' allsorts. We used to have a regular guy at the old house, and we'd see him everywhere at all hours. I think near Christmas they take on lots more regular people to fill the quota of deliveries and now we don't have a before 1 pm service anymore which is a shame, but I get it.

At least you tried it and worked out it wasn't for you, so that means you're a little closer to finding what is for you. In the meantime, I hope you rest and recover from the soreness.

I'm also confused about the boneless chicken! 😂

There are several companies over here that deliver Amazon packages. I have read reports of some of the harsh conditions there are supposed to be within the company, among the many drivers that deliver to me from Amazon there have been none that have really complained but if they did it would be about the company they worked for which is not actually Amazon.

Glad to see you managed to find the farm so John could get his boneless chicken. 🤣

Have you seen the new Amazon advert (yes I saw an advert again 😁) which lets you go and take a look around the factory/warehouse how they do things etc. I really like Amazon and like you Joan I've never heard any of my drivers complain. I also love their customer service too as you get to speak to a real person and they're happy to help you out.

Got a video call from Shelly , The 5 year old told me about how she was helping
Mom make squishy cakes: A layer of jello which has set, then a layer of jam and
then another layer of jello .(I have never gotten it right).

I've never heard of squishy cakes before, I'll have to have a look at those. How lovely for the video call and how baffled Tigger must have been wondering why he couldn't get to Shelly. 😆

You surpassed yourself there Angie. 🤣

OK disappearing now till after dinner, got to go cut the pigs food up then sort out our food, had my Tesco delivery today so got that all put away. :wink:

Once you serve, or are not needed, it's 1 year before they can call on you again. I have been called multiple times. Now I automatically take the 6 months extension they let you take. Then when they send the notice, I hope I am not needed the night before.

My new job, was going to be delivering Amazon packages, but after training Monday and Tuesday, today I rode along with a driver. After a couple of hours it was obvious they put unreasonable expectations on them. They are asked to deliver 250-300 packages in 9 hours, with 1 hour for loading/offboarding at end of day.

When I 1st spoke to someone at the company it was "over 100 packages", but I figured if some where multiple packages to the same location, doable. Next person says over 150 packages, etc. Training guy says up to 300 packages, you need to deliver about 25 an hours, some people finish early.

When I worked as IT manager for a parcel delivery company all the drivers were taking out 100-150 a day, starting at 06:00 and finishing around 19:00, at Xmas they would try to get me and my assistant to deliver some of the excess but it took us all day to do 10-20 and after the second year stopped asking :D

I know it's not always easy for parcel delivery drivers especially in rural areas where properties are spread over a wide area. It's never easy either when a certain stretch of road all the properties have the same postcode and have names, not all houses have the names showing and even when they do some drivers just don't seem to be able to see them.

Where I live the length of road and a cul-de-sac all have the same postcode, the number of times I've had phone calls asking where I am, the name is on the wall of the bungalow, they are often just across the road from me and when you tell them where you are "oh yes I see you" 🙄

I know one day the regular driver was off, got a message that the driver couldn't deliver as there was no-one home, he included a photo which was for a house a few properties away from me and clearly showed the name of the place on the wall at the entrance, the name was nothing like the name for my place and the people who live there were in and nobody had called.

Another time the delivery driver had left the parcel in the porch of a completely different place which also had the name clearly on the wall, I told them I don't have a porch, the driver went back the next day got the parcel and delivered it to me. :D

Last edited:
Amazon has a scam of sorts going. They don't hire or fire any of the Delivery Associates (DA). If they don't like one, they ban them from the hub. Of course, the DA isn't much good to the company they work for if they can't get into the hub, so...

They also preach safety, customer satisfaction, etc., yet they know what the Delivery Service Providers (DSP) are demanding of the DAs. They get to "keep their hands clean" so to speak. I found out in about 3 hours that the drivers don't follow all the rules I just spent 2 days learning. That you have to be holding and looking at the device (Rabbit) that is the GPS route to the stops, and you scan, take pictures, etc. So all the safety videos we just watched are a crock, etc. I think what Amazon is doing is genius, but not exactly above board. Oh well, I had to see for myself. I can only imagine what Black Friday to Christmas must be like!

A Guy

All companies encourage under the table rule breaking. It keeps their cost down.
And they can punish that one if it gets out .
In politics its called "Plausible Deniability ".

You surpassed yourself there Angie. 🤣

OK disappearing now till after dinner, got to go cut the pigs food up then sort out our food, had my Tesco delivery today so got that all put away. :wink:

Lol! I know, Han came in too and I shooed her away, so I didn't lose track of where I was up to. :D

I hope you managed to get all your shopping delivered in one piece. Ours keeps squashing my bread! :(

I can only imagine what Black Friday to Christmas must be like!
A Guy

I gave up ordering anything on Black Friday after the Doll debacle. I avoid Black Friday at all costs after seeing the world and his wife scrap with every Tom, Dick and Harry. It's absolute madness!

I have the squashed bread problem a few times but not too often, my biggest problems with the pickers is the date on things.

I buy a couple of small tubs of double cream for our after dinner coffee and they need to have a date at least to the following Thursday or Friday so when they both turn up with the same date and it only goes to the beginning of the week I'll send at least 1 of them back.

The other is my cream cakes, I treat myself to a cream cake for Saturday and Sunday, it's annoying if I've ordered eclairs and they're upside down so the chocolate is stuck to the carton or they're the right way up and the top is pushed down onto the chocolate topping, they can have date problems as well like this week both boxes turned up with the same date but it's for today and as they're real cream cakes they are supposed to be used by today, but as they're straight in the fridge from the van I'll still have the other one tomorrow.

I've got some great drivers though and there are times when I'll be refunded for something but they'll leave it with me.

I don't usually buy anything on Black Friday but it's usually because I don't need anything at that particular time.

You got that right Bill, it's so annoying when it's stuck to the box, mess with my cream cakes at your peril. 🤣
I know I have the the recipe around here somewhere but the only one I found
was cream wraps(or horns). Simple : Roll a thinned sliced bread into a tube
toast it in fry oil (be careful not to long, just enough to crisp) . Use
spray cream and spray into tube.:plead:

Do you roll the bread first to make it a little thinner before you fry it?

You got that right Bill, it's so annoying when it's stuck to the box, mess with my cream cakes at your peril. 🤣

Lol! Well, you can keep your cream because I'm not a lover of it but if you squash my cakes then yes I'm coming for you.

We stopped doing online shopping years ago due to the dates but then we started again, at first I was telling everyone that would listen to buy online because it was so good and the driver told us that robots were packing the items. Fast forward months later and now I'm getting everything rammed into a carrier bag. The drivers are really nice and I do get refunded when my bread is squashed but it's such a pain when 4 loaves turn up battered. I got that fed up I nearly started a thread on here because the other week it was that squashed it looked like Batman Bread.

I ordered groceries online 1 time. Hard as rock avocados, green bananas, huge hard tomatoes. If not for their pick of produce, it would probably go OK

A Guy

Avocados definitely not! We can choose the ripeness of bananas. We did try the ripen at home ones but found them to be too green, and they took over a week to mature. When we ordered from another online supermarket, they allowed you to post comments on your produce so you could tell the pickers precisely what you wanted.

Overall I'm happy with the service as it saves a lot of time and faff shopping, I just wish they'd go back to being fabulous like they were in the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back