What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [4] (23 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
14 huh? So, car this year then? :D

A Guy

Not quite yet, but she has got another driving lesson! :)

We've got sunshine here today, blue sky with a few wispy streaks of cloud in the sky. It's keeping my solar lights well charged this summer; they come on earlier now as the nights draw in. :)

It's Ironman here this weekend so road closures, they have the kids part of the weekend today then tomorrow it's the professional athletes, they start with the swim in Tenby then onto a bike ride and finish with a marathon. The roads through here are closed from early in the morning till late afternoon as the bikes go through here.

My Dentist does the Ironman contest; in fact, I'm sure he's doing the Wales one. He's done one in Spain and other places, but I'm sure he said he was doing that one too. Do you ever get to see any of it? Does it not cause havoc for you when they close the roads?

My Dentist does the Ironman contest; in fact, I'm sure he's doing the Wales one. He's done one in Spain and other places, but I'm sure he said he was doing that one too. Do you ever get to see any of it? Does it not cause havoc for you when they close the roads?
All the athletes apparently like the Tenby one, they say it's the hardest one to do. It's only by hit or miss if we see anything because we don't have any windows that look onto the road and not knowing exactly when the cyclists will be passing through it's pot luck if I go outside my kitchen door at the other end of the bungalow and look down the drive and see any. I may see a group or it might just be the odd one.

Today at one point I looked down and saw 1 rider and he was followed by a motorbike which was followed by a police motorbike with the light on the end of a pole flashing. I think that probably the cyclist was the last one so the motorbikes were the following security riders, they go through here twice on a loop.

The road closures do cause problems, because of the area and it is a tourist place so a lot of people have to get to work, there are no buses through here on a Sunday and they wouldn't be able to get through anyway.

John does the accounts for a business in Tenby and they have to book into a hotel for the weekend or they couldn't open their business on the Saturday or Sunday.

The council tell you it's for the good of the district and brings in lots of money to the economy which in some ways is ridiculous as you can't get into the place. I suppose some can benefit like the hotels etc. to accommodate the influx of athletes and other people but the small businesses don't get much out of it, especially if their staff can't get to work.

It's the same when they do the Long Course Weekend there are road closures.

All the athletes apparently like the Tenby one; they say it's the hardest one to do.

John does the accounts for a business in Tenby, and they have to book into a hotel for the weekend, or they couldn't open their business on the Saturday or Sunday.

The council tell you it's for the good of the district and brings in lots of money to the economy, which in some ways is ridiculous as you can't get into the place. I suppose some can benefit like the hotels etc. to accommodate the influx of athletes and other people but the small businesses don't get much out of it, especially if their staff can't get to work.

It's the same when they do the Long Course Weekend there are road closures.

Ah, I didn't realise that the Tenby one was the hardest.

That's a bit rubbish for the business John does accounts for, crikey, having to book into a hotel so that you can open your business is absolutely barmy! I know it is only for a short time, but still. Like you say though if it's bringing in masses of tourism then the surrounding business such as hotels and eateries will be making massively on it.

The one, my dentist, went to in Spain was new and hosted in a little village. Unfortunately, they were ill-prepared for the influx of people and couldn't cope with the demand. I think that if they host it again, they will have a better idea of what to expect. Bless them can you imagine being inundated with a mass of people like that!

Is the one in Tenby the one they show on the tele?

I know they do show it on TV but not sure if it's just in Wales or national news as well.

I think the first time Tenby hosted it they were taken back by the number of people, it's only a small seaside tourist town and the route is through country lanes, which are actually A roads. When the cyclists go through Saundersfoot they go up St. Brides Hill and they call it Heartbreak Hill, wish I was as fit as when I lived there I used to walk up and down that hill about half a dozen times a day.
I used to be an Avon lady when we lived there and I would walk all over the village, from 1 end to the other visiting my customers.

I must admit that when I tele flick I have watched a programme but I think it's for the world's strongest man. It amazes me how they throw tree trunks and pick up stone balls that you'd generally need some mini crane for. 😮

Wow, Avon, I've not had that for years! Takes me back. 🤣

Speaking of walking, you reminded me of how many miles I used to trek to go and see my friends when I was younger. You couldn't get anywhere without walking, and the mileage we must have done was extraordinary.

I know, I walked everywhere throughout my life until the last few years.

I did Avon for a few years in Saundersfoot and walked miles covering the whole village and surrounding area and as I said walking up and down St. Brides Hill, we lived partway up it.

Kelly had all my samples when I packed up, I've never used makeup much so it didn't matter.

I feel like I'm falling apart now, so at this rate, I've got no chance. I'm currently full of the flu or cold that Han decided to pass my way. I'm barking like a dog, oozing lots of green stuff and seriously rubbing my nose off as we speak. 🤒

I don't use makeup either; what you see is what you get, which is usually the good the bad and the ugly depending on which day it is. 🤣

Today is not a good look!

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good, hope you're dosing yourself up and keeping hydrated. You take care of yourself. xx

I'm busy transferring DVDs from stands to a shelf unit where the videos used to be.
Watching TV on Thursday, or was it Wednesday, anyway I noticed that there was a bright spot about 6" down and 10" in from the left. After watching it, it seemed to be quite bright when it was over a light background but faded when over a dark one. It looked as if a light was being shone onto the spot and was about an inch across.

I have a service plan so phoned them on Thursday, and at first he said the engineer would come and take the TV away for probably about 2/3 weeks. When I said it was our main set in the living room he said the other option was they would upgrade my set, I have a 40" HD Samsung which is 4 years old, he ordered us a 4K Ultra HD 43", it has Internet and Freeview, we don't need that as we have Sky. It would cost us £50 for that option, I'd never heard of the manufacturer but he said they were a good one.

The only problem is we've had to buy another stand as the one we have is too small for the new TV to fit on, it's just ok for the 40" but no good for a 43" as the feet are either side of the set, the present one has a stand in the middle.

The new stand will be here tonight so that's got to be put together ready for the new TV which arrives tomorrow. Once it's all in place the DVD stands will not fit hence having to move them today. :oops:

Oh dear, well good luck with all of that! At first, I thought you meant that the DVD's had got sun damaged through the window, which is why you were moving them. 😊 Hopefully, you'll be back to normal in no time with a bigger tele to boot. I'm not sure what it is with technology at the minute, but ours seems to have a mind of its own.

I have an Amazon Echo in the kitchen, and the music seems to change speed, one minute it's an average pace, and then the next minute it's like I'm listening to a record player that somebody has slowed down. 🤔

I have just read that they are playing about with speed options at the minute and you can choose how fast or slow you want it, but ours seems to be going back and forth as it pleases! I had to bring John into the kitchen to listen because he didn't believe me. 🙄

Then this morning I tried playing songs that I have newly downloaded and every time I selected a new track it played a different record! I know my head's fuzzy but come on really! I think the safest option for me is to go back to bed. 😀

Well I was cursing this morning when I was trying to buy a new TV stand, things were that slow, don't know if it was Edge or just the Internet in general. :scream:

Happy Birthday Hannah, hope you have a wonderful day, I know it's a school day but you can still have fun. Enjoy your cake. :shortcake:😂

We haven't cut the cake yet, but she did have a sleepover. Hence the reason I'm posting on here at the crack of dawn. 🌤

Going back to our Iron Man conversation Han was telling me they were chatting with the guy from Gravity yesterday at school which is pretty cool considering we never had anything like that when we were there.

She said he built the parts from a 3D printer! 😲

Like you, we never had anything like that when I was at school, lucky Hannah, I bet that was interesting especially on her birthday. :)

Yeah, she even got to ask him a question which he answered so she was made up with that.

My question is, where is Bill hiding?

I don't know, it's unusual him not being here every day, I think he's been on 10 every day.

Perhaps he's suffering from being too warm, lucky devil. 🤣 As long as he's not ill.

Ordered an upgrade to our SkyQ box, at present we have the 1TB box so we'd not be able to take advantage of the features of the new TV so phoned Sky up to ask how much to upgrade to the 2TB box, it's cost us £75 for the engineer to come and install the upgrade.
I'm hoping he will set the new TV up for us when he does. I was ½ way through putting the new stand together when the new TV arrived so I thought it might be better if that is set up at the same time as the new Q box is installed, I'm sure that's what I did when they installed the 1TB box because we'd just got the new 40" HD TV to replace the old analogue 28" which we'd had for years.

I'd had enough after putting the stand together yesterday so it's still got to be moved into position, we will leave the old set up on that till the engineer comes, 9th October.

I've found my pack of coloured dot stickers so I can label the cables so I know where they have to go after taking them off while changing the units over.

Hope we see Bill back again soon or I'll have no-one to talk to when you're busy, mind you I could always talk to myself. 🤣

Hello Ladies :) I switched to Windows 10, and have been busy making it look and work the way I want (and as close to my 7 install as possible). Amazing how much time I spent on that.

Happy Belated Birthday Han! Your Dad showed us your cake with your parents and their friends on it :mask:

A Guy

Hello Ladies :) I switched to Windows 10, and have been busy making it look and work the way I want (and as close to my 7 install as possible). Amazing how much time I spent on that.

Happy Belated Birthday Han! Your Dad showed us your cake with your parents and their friends on it :mask:

A Guy

Yeah! Glad to see you back and happy that you've sorted out your upgrade. Lol! So does that mean you know about the story of me being an Alien then? 👽

@Joan yeah, I thought he was topping up his tan while I'm battling my cold, I'm only jealous. :p

I'm glad you have a colour co-ordinated system, I just wiggle wires and try and see what's what. Ours look like spaghetti junction behind the sets, so I try and stay away from them. I had enough trouble trying to unravel the phone line from it all. 🙃

Ok my brain is still fuzzy so did you get the upgrade and get the tv set up or have you just built the stand and he's coming on the 9th? 🤪

Glad to see you back Bill, you'll soon get used to 10 and hopefully like it. :D

The new TV came on Saturday, but I'm leaving that for the Sky engineer to set up when he brings the new SkyQ box. The unit for it came on Friday night and that was what I was building on Saturday.

At the moment the new unit is sitting in the middle of the living room acting as an oversized coffee table till I get round to sorting out the cables on the old TV, which will stay in use till the 9th of October when the engineer comes. I'll just go and resize the photo I have of it and attach it to this post to show you.
TV Unit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back