What's new

Today: Hello there...what have you been up to? 2022 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many! 🤣 No in all fairness she does have a good mix of exams, ranging from creative subjects to your staple maths and english so we don't get bored when we revise.

It's been such an awful time over the last couple of years for the children's education and it's been so unsettling for them I can only hope things start to get better for them.

I know, this year is the first year that they will be doing their GCSE's so I'm hoping will all the revision Han's doing, she smashes them. They've changed the grades from letters to numbers which I don't see the point of because you end up converting the number back to a letter anyway but hey ho, as long as she gets fabulous results, who cares.

She recently got a grade 9 for one of her English pieces so she was really chuffed with that. 9 is the highest grade you can get which is equivalent to an A**. That's 'A' star, star by the way, not ass! 😂

Lol! We were talking about high school the other day. Han finds it strange that our only way of communication between friends was making arrangements at school or knocking on for someone later in the evening. My, how times have changed, can you imagine telling your younger self that we would have screens where we could talk to one another, and we'd eventually have mini computers and phones without cords! 😂

I remember when hand held calculators came out! God forbid you would bring one to school...that was cheating!

A Guy

Education has definitely come a long way since I was at school. Leaving age was 15, no screens anywhere to be seen and where I went you were just taught the 3 Rs. The only exams were when you were 11 to see if you could get a place for a Grammar School, sadly I didn't.

During the last year there was the option to take Shorthand and Typing, and this wasn't on something that you could hold in your hand. I don't think portable typewriters were around either then. You could opt to stay on for an extra year to continue with the course, which is something I wanted to do, I wasn't allowed I had to leave and get a job.

We had clunky BBC Computers and large floppy disk drives when we were in high school. It was pen and paper at primary school and a TV on wheels if we had to watch anything. I didn't use a laptop until I was working, and in one of the jobs, I had to use an electric typewriter.

The way technology has changed over the years is fantastic, especially now that we can physically see and interact with people anywhere around the world without being in the same room.

Zoom/facetime have definitely taken off. It seems to be most people's preference these days because you physically don't have to go anywhere but can still get lots of things done—meetings, teachings, interactions etc.

You can if you have power. 🤣 I've been without any for most of the day because of the storm.

It went off this morning and from about 10 am it was intermittent connecting and disconnecting. About noon it went off and when I phoned the emergency number, I'm on their priority list, was told they were aware of the problem and I should have power back by 5 pm.

It came back about 2.45 for nearly an hour and went off again. It was supposed to still be back by 5 but that came and went so about 5.15pm I phoned again for the message to be that they'd had problems and it would now be reconnected by midnight grrrrrrrrr.

It came back just after 5.30 pm and it's still on, fingers crossed, so I quickly got my dinner in case it went again, I'd not been able to have a hot drink or anything to eat all day, apart from some biscuits.

It's still on the windy side but I think the storm has passed us so hopefully things will settle down, I just need to get someone to come over and gather my bins up and put them back in place, they are all over the place, it even tipped the glass box over emptied the glass out then blew over to the other side of the garden. :scream:

Aww, Joan, are you all sorted now and more to the point are you fed and watered?

The storms picked up here, we've heard a few crash bang wallops along the way and things moving about, but it comes and goes. We had to go out in it yesterday to finalise Han's prom dress, and the weather was atrocious, the roads were covered in water, and the wind was howling, but other than that, we can stay in, thankfully.

The only complaint I have is trying to find the massive wasp that appeared in the conservatory yesterday, I think she's hiding in the top section, but I need her to come out so I can put her outside.

@A Guy, I'm loving the vids. The funny thing is the wheelie bin that took off. Can you imagine telling the owner that their bin is two counties over? 😂 As for the boat, that's the reason I don't do boats! Blimey!

I'd just managed to make my cocoa about 9 pm and after about a quarter of an hour it went again, it came back about 3.15 pm this afternoon. So till late afternoon I was bundled up in several layers of clothing and my gloves as I was freezing and shivering like mad.

It was still on the blustery side till late afternoon today but so far the power is holding, keeping everything crossed. 😂

Still very gusty here, power has flipped on and off several times since this morning, it's on at the moment but I'm just going to read for a while. It's too annoying having the TV on and the fuss and bother getting it back after a power loss. I might turn it on later if the forecast is right and the wind calms down this afternoon. :grrr:

Thank goodness for library books. 😍

It's really picking up here at the minute, it's lashing it down outside, and the wind is right up. The Alexa keeps telling me we have Flood Alerts in the area too.

I'm glad you're managing to keep yourself occupied, you could do with making a flask of soup, so if the electricity does go, you'll have something warm to eat.

Sorry, have to go now. I'm being summoned to do flashcards for revision! 😂

Well, I've managed to have my meals, although I have done them earlier than I usually do just in case the power went again. So far the power is holding out this evening but it's supposed to be gusty until some time tomorrow, as they've been saying it's unusual that we've had 3 named storms in 1 week.

I've had enough now and want it to stop, I've still got the flask that a neighbour brought round to me yesterday lunchtime but I went online to Amazon and bought myself one and that came today so I've now got 2 of them filled with hot water so I can have hot drinks.

Phoned a friend yesterday who lives in the village and she came round with her son and gathered up my recycling bins, which were scattered all over the place, and put them all back in place but I don't know if they're still in place as I've not looked outside. :D

According to Buckingham Palace she just has mild cold symptoms. Let's hope that is all it is and she soon gets better.

I do hope she gets well soon. I'm sure she will. She's a very strong, resilient lady.

I'm glad you've sorted your bins out and that you have hot water and meals. That's really nice that your neighbours have come out to help.

We've been battered with the newest storm. We were all awake early doors this morning due to the noise. Han said she heard thunder at about 4:25 am, which I missed, and I then heard the wind at about 5:30 am. It's still howling now while we sit revising at the table.

Is your food/meals okay with the power being out?

Mudder.jpg

A Guy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back