What's new

Brown sugar in chocolate cake (1 Viewer)

Janey

Hi, making this chocolate cake again but only have light brown sugar, can i use this instead of normal granulated sugar? will it be the same amount? Will it affect the cake in any way with it being brown sugar.

Thank you x

Solution
Hi Janey

Lovely to hear from you.

In answer to your questions

Yes, you can swap out light brown sugar for granulated sugar; just substitute the same amount.

Yes, it will affect the bake because light brown sugar contains molasses, so the cake may be darker.

Please note that you won’t trap as much air in the sugar when creaming the butter and sugar, which means your cake won’t be as fluffy.

It may also alter the taste slightly as brown sugar is slightly more acidic.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Angie x
Hi Janey

Lovely to hear from you.

In answer to your questions

Yes, you can swap out light brown sugar for granulated sugar; just substitute the same amount.

Yes, it will affect the bake because light brown sugar contains molasses, so the cake may be darker.

Please note that you won’t trap as much air in the sugar when creaming the butter and sugar, which means your cake won’t be as fluffy.

It may also alter the taste slightly as brown sugar is slightly more acidic.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Angie x

Solution
Thank you for the quick reply, don't mind the cake being a bit darker as it's chocolate anyway, just don't want it to be dry lol, fingers crossed it goes well, baking a birthday cake for a friend on friday. Thank you again xx

You’re most welcome; yes, although I haven’t made this with brown sugar, I would leave the cocoa powder the same.
Due to the molasses in the sugar, it may be a little moister.

Good luck with it. 😊

Morning,

Made the cake, it turned out great. Thank you so much for all your help x

IMG_20210423_194739_008000 (Medium).jpg

20210424_161415 (Medium).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You're most welcome, anytime. Thanks for letting us know how you got on. 😊

I have one word for the cake...

Beautiful! 😍

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back