What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [4] (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found some Donut mix in my cupboard so I got out my deep fryer and made a few.
getting timing down took a bit about 30 seconds to toast the outside and cook the inside.
Glazing was easy just dip in hot glaze.
used powder sugar on the rest. :)

Lol! 😂 Honestly, there is no easy way to write it, to clarify I made one cake for a lady who turns 100 today. I was going to post yesterday that I was covered in edible glitter and dropping balls everywhere, but when I said it in my head, it sounded so wrong, so I didn't post it. :dizzy: The edible glitter along with the cake balls aka pearls were part of the cake. :p

@thomaseg1 yes, I will post a picture of the cake I need to decide which one is the best one for the site. I took quite a lot of photos, but because I have a 100th birthday topper in the cake, I was struggling to get a proper angle/correct lighting of the topper and the cake to do it justice. (Dropping my phone didn't help either). 🙈 Han was the one who asked me to make the cake for her friends Great Nan, as she didn't want her to have a supermarket cake, so I agreed to make it for her. I'm just hoping it's big enough because Han initially said it was for a small get together and then she mentioned a party! :oops:

Your doughnuts sound delicious by the way!

Dry and crisp here today which is just the way I like it.

Last edited:
These aren't the greatest of pictures, but it gives you an idea of my photo dilemma. 😂

100th Birthday Cake by Help Me Bake (1)-001.jpg

The cake wasn't complete here, and I was also working out my box nightmare as the topper takes the height significantly higher than the standard box size and I didn't want to cobble two bases together to gain the height, and it look like I'd stuck two boxes together. Hence the additional cake board and a larger see-through box. I have to get it right for this milestone. I do hope the lady likes it.

100th Birthday Cake by Help Me Bake (2)-001.jpg

Last edited:
I think it looks fabulous Angie, does it have a 100 flowers on it? I bet the lady in question will really appreciate it, well done. :loveit:

We've had a bit of everything today, apart from snow, but it's cold enough for that. We've had sun, grey clouds, rain and strong winds. :scream:

Not to criticize, The CCake looks Great!

For the Photo ,a darker background might yield a bit better picture, bring out a tad more detail.

Wish I could do art like that 😊

Lol! I shall remember that when I come to visit. 😆

Not to criticize, The Cake looks Great!

For the Photo, a darker background might yield a bit better picture, bring out a tad more detail.

Wish I could do art like that 😊

I'm open to criticism or comments @thomaseg1, I agree about a darker background, I did put some pink paper behind the cake, but that didn't work out as I'd hoped. I have a portable studio that I use to take pictures, but I definitely need some more backdrops.

I'm sure with a little teaching you could quite happily make a cake like that. I'm great at making things out of cake, but I cannot draw. Han can do both, but she laughs at my cake sketches, she finds them hilarious. 😂

@Joan, I didn't count the flowers, but I know I made well over 100 of them so subconsciously I'm hoping that I did put about 100 on there.

Thanks for all your feedback, I've seen the cake that much I look past the niceness and look for any flaws.

Today we went to pay our respects at the Cenotaph and watched Han do her march.

I always watch it on TV and Kelly takes the kids to watch their Dad march in Tenby. He's always other years marched as a Coastguard, but this year was marching as a retained firefighter.

Aww, that's nice that the kids get involved and watch their Dad march they must be so proud. Could he have walked as either Coastguard/Fireman or has he just changed over?

How did the weather work out for you guys? We had sunshine and a very brisk wind, but it was lovely. This year they remembered to put the signs up saying road closures which didn't work out well for the emergency services who had to detour around the estate to get past us with their sirens blaring! 😮

He could choose which one and as it's the first year he could go as a firefighter he picked that one.

The weather was good here as well, sounds a bit like what you had.

I also watch the Saturday night program with the troops.

The podiatrist came today to cut our toenails, I can't reach to do mine now and John never cuts his short enough for my liking so it's worth having them done properly, at least we only have to have them done about every 3 months. :D

Donna does mine , I sometimes have trouble squeezing the cutters (strong nails).

I got asked a question where the word tradition is the only answer since its somewhat common
place in my family. One of those little things which you haven't noticed before somebody asks.
We usually when we are having corn and mashed potatoes we tend to mix them together.
Not really important till you get hit with the question as to why. 😊

::chuckle::I had to go to Atlanta today (1 and 1/2 drive) to pick up #2 daughter
Seems she let her driving license lapse while she was in Antarctica working on her
post grad paper so they wouldn't rent her a car.
Her Paper? the short title is dietary requirements of an inclusive and hostile environment
She made up for it by making Teriyaki burgers .make the paddies mix in some onions
and peppers steep in hot teriyaki sauce then grill to burn off the sauce and leave the flavour.

Antarctica! Wow, your kids get everywhere! 😮

I'm glad the burgers went down a treat, I haven't tried those.

I've finally finished my tutorial that it's taken me two days to do and now I'm just waiting to find out when my guy is coming to fit my new radiator.

Where is the new radiator going Angie, did you have a faulty one that needed replacing?

I've worn myself out today, done too much and been on my feet too much. 🙄

We've only got 2 guineas pigs left and they were in a big cage so John bought a new cage that was smaller, he put it together today with my help, then it was the struggle of getting them out of the old cage and into the new one. He didn't seem to have much trouble with the first one but of course the 2nd one caused trouble because his mate had gone. :scream:

I finally managed to catch him and put him in his new cage with his mate. :imp:

Still had other things to do and then prepare the evening meal so I'll hopefully be able to sleep tonight. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back