What's new

Icing Gun, Sugarcraft Gun, Equipment Help (1 Viewer)

Varsani17

Hi,

Am looking to buy a Icing Gun for a friend for her Birthday, she really enjoys baking and is thinking of starting her own baking business. I want to know is it worth buying a Icing Gun and which one would you recommend.? I don't know anyone that uses icing gun.

Thank you

Hi @Varsani17

Welcome to the site. 😊

Icing Gun1.JPG

Regarding the Icing Gun, these are more so used for making biscuits and sometimes have nozzles for piping with them. You can also get Icing syringes, but to be honest, a piping bag and nozzle are much better.

sugarcraft gun2.JPG

If you mean a sugarcraft gun like the above, then please see further down the post.

I have mixed feelings on an Icing Gun because I know people that have had issues with them in the past, and depending on what kind of business your friend wishes to start, it may not be the best tool for you to buy her.

If she's making biscuits all the time and she gets the consistency of the mix correct, then the icing guns can make beautiful pretty biscuits. They also have piping nozzles that come with them, but I know that people have found that with the buttercream being much thinner, it's just oozed out, causing issues with what they were trying to decorate.

An icing gun is quite a specific thing and generally only used seasonally for Christmas Cookies, so it might not be something she would use a lot.

If your friend makes lots of cakes/cupcakes, there are lots of nozzles (the new Russian Piping Nozzles are great for effect), moulds, paints, etc., on the market. You could even buy embossed rolling pins with patterns on them, so if she was to make a biscuit, she could easily use the embosser for both cakes and biscuits.

If you still wish to go ahead with the Icing Gun, make sure you read reviews and see how other people found the product.

If you mean a Sugarcraft Gun like this? Then yes, these are a good tool and come in very handy when making decorations for cakes/cupcakes.

sugarcraft gun.JPG

I hope this answers your question, but if you need anything else, then please let me know.

Best wishes

Angie 👩‍🍳

Last edited:
Hi @Varsani17

Welcome to the site. 😊

Regarding the Icing Gun, these are more so used for making biscuits and sometimes have nozzles for piping with them. You can also get Icing syringes, but to be honest, a piping bag and nozzle are much better.

View attachment 5864

If you mean a sugarcraft gun please see further down the post.

View attachment 5865

I have mixed feelings on an Icing Gun because I know people that have had issues with them in the past, and depending on what kind of business your friend wishes to start, it may not be the best tool for you to buy her.

If she's making biscuits all the time and she gets the consistency of the mix correct, then the icing guns can make beautiful pretty biscuits. They also have piping nozzles that come with them, but I know that people have found that with the buttercream being much thinner, it's just oozed out, causing issues with what they were trying to decorate.

An icing gun is quite a specific thing and generally only used seasonally for Christmas Cookies, so it might not be something she would use a lot.

If your friend makes lots of cakes/cupcakes, there are lots of nozzles (the new Russian Piping Nozzles are great for effect), moulds, paints, etc., on the market. You could even buy embossed rolling pins with patterns on them, so if she was to make a biscuit, she could easily use the embosser for both cakes and biscuits.

If you still wish to go ahead with the Icing Gun, make sure you read reviews and see how other people found the product.

If you mean a Sugarcraft Gun like this? Then yes, these are a good tool and come in very handy when making decorations for cakes/cupcakes.

View attachment 5863

I hope this answers your question, but if you need anything else, then please let me know.

Best wishes

Angie 👩‍🍳
Hi Angie,

Thank you so much for your reply i appreciate it,

You advice is helping me a lot, right now she's only thinking about it she has made Christmas cookies, but mainly been cupcake she made.

I Like the sugar craft gun you have showed me it looks cool, my friend can make different types of patterns with it. it's a bit like play dough lol. because the one i was thinking of is doing swirly whirls with buttercream but this sugar craft one looks cool. if i was to buy this which one would you recommend as in which company which type? I believe she's got the main baking stuff, so am looking to buy assceroise like edible glitter, fondant, decoration etc, do you know any good website I can buy this off?

I did read review on the icing gun and there were some good reviews posted recently but my husband told me to go on forums and read review on that. because some people put up fake review on company page.

Kind Regards

Pooja

You're most welcome, Pooja - @Varsani17

Lol! I know it's like a kids playdough toy, but you get great patterns from it, and you can eat it too. 😊

If you're looking at anything with swirls/whirls with buttercream, these will be piping nozzles, like the Russian ones I mentioned before, and Wilton does a range too. The 1M nozzle gives you Rose Shapes when you pipe with it like so...

Two tone cupcakes (1) - Copy.JPG

If you want to buy a Sugaracraft Gun, then any of the proper cake stores will be your best bet; that way, you know you are getting a legitimate product. Buying from any of the below cakes stores should be fine. I normally buy lots of things off Amazon, but I want to make sure you're going to get a decent tool for your friend, so for this, I would stick with one of the Cake stores below.

For your edible fondant, glitter decorations, you could also use The Cake Decorating Company or Vanilla Valley. If you want to buy moulds, Karen Davies and Katy Sue Moulds are excellent and of very good quality.

If you want to buy her edible dyes, I recommend Sugarflair Concentrated Dyes and definitely the Colour Mill Dyes. You may also want to check out my Reviews Section, too, as I post many Cake things I've bought and used in there, and there are links of where I got stuff from.

I agree with your husband; it's always worth looking about to get peoples advice that way, you know what you're buying.

Last edited:
You're most welcome, Pooja - @Varsani17

Lol! I know it's like a kids playdough toy, but you get great patterns from it, and you can eat it too. 😊

If you're looking at anything with swirls/whirls with buttercream, these will be piping nozzles, like the Russian ones I mentioned before, and Wilton does a range too. The 1M nozzle gives you Rose Shapes when you pipe with it like so...

View attachment 5866

If you want to buy a Sugaracraft Gun, then any of the proper cake stores will be your best bet; that way, you know you are getting a legitimate product. Buying from any of the below cakes stores should be fine. I normally buy lots of things off Amazon, but I want to make sure you're going to get a decent tool for your friend, so for this, I would stick with one of the Cake stores below.

For your edible fondant, glitter decorations, you could also use The Cake Decorating Company or Vanilla Valley. If you want to buy moulds, Karen Davies and Katy Sue Moulds are excellent and of very good quality.

If you want to buy her edible dyes, I recommend Sugarflair Concentrated Dyes and definitely the Colour Mill Dyes. You may also want to check out my Reviews Section, too, as I post many Cake things I've bought and used in there, and there are links of where I got stuff from.

I agree with your husband; it's always worth looking about to get peoples advice that way, you know what you're buying.
Hi Angie,

You are a massive help to me and i appreciate it thank you so much. i decided to ditched the icing gun and go for the sugar gun.

i looked at the links you sent me and their really good, am thinking of going for this one....

am also gonna buy other bits and pieces like glitter etc.

Thank you for the Links Angie i appreciate it.

kind regards

pooja

@Varsani17

Hi Pooja, you're most welcome, my dear, glad to be of help to you. 😊

Squires Kitchen is a reputable firm, so yes, that's fine. I thought I would send you numerous links so that you had options available to you.

Just a quick note, if you buy her any icing/fondant/sugarpaste for her to use with the Sugarcraft Gun, she will also need to use either Trex or Petal Base with it. This needs to be mixed with the icing/fondant/sugarpaste before putting in the gun so that it slides out easily.

Petal Base 1.JPG Trex.JPG

That's lovely that you are going to buy her other things too. You'll find lots of wonderful bits and pieces on the internet for your friend, and I'm sure she'll be thrilled with whatever you buy her.

If you need any further advice on any other products or have any questions about anything else, then just give us a shout.

Best wishes

Angie 👩‍🍳

Last edited:
@Varsani17

Hi Pooja, you're most welcome, my dear, glad to be of help to you. 😊

Squires Kitchen is a reputable firm, so yes, that's fine. I thought I would send you numerous links so that you had options available to you.

Just a quick note, if you buy her any icing/fondant/sugarpaste for her to use with the Sugarcraft Gun, she will also need to use either Trex or Petal Base with it. This needs to be mixed with the icing/fondant/sugarpaste before putting in the gun so that it slides out easily.

View attachment 5870 View attachment 5871

That's lovely that you are going to buy her other things too. You'll find lots of wonderful bits and pieces on the internet for your friend, and I'm sure she'll be thrilled with whatever you buy her.

If you need any further advice on any other products or have any questions about anything else, then just give us a shout.

Best wishes

Angie 👩‍🍳
Hey Angie,

I have order the sugar gun from the link you sent me should come by the 14th April, I am now looking at decoration to buy just a few bits and pieces, i will make a hamper, basket or a box to put everything in make it look all nice. :)

I Think I might let her buy the fondant, paste etc as she knows which one she uses, I haven't actually seen her bake. but when i give her her gift I Will tell her about the petal base and Tex. Thank You

So are you a professional baker?

Pooja

@Varsani17

Hi Pooja - I'm actually just writing about glitters now. 🤓

Just a quick note on 'glitter' for cakes/cupcakes. Please be aware that some glitters can be eaten, and some glitters are for food contact only, which means you can apply them to decorations on cakes or cupcakes, but you cannot eat them. (Your body cannot digest them, and you end up with glittery poo).

So when buying, be sure to read the label or description carefully; the ones that cannot be eaten will say for 'decoration purposes' or 'food contact', meaning you can apply them to cake boards or decorations that would be removed from the cake, but they are not to be consumed.

The Rainbow Dust Edible Glitter Range are ones that you can eat, but please make sure on the label it says can be added to cakes.

Hey Angie,

what do you think of this?

Kind regards Pooja

In answer to your question, no, I wouldn't buy those unless they are just going to be for decorating purposes; if you read the spec further down, these are not really to be consumed.

edible glitter 1.JPG

This is what the product info says on some of the other glitters.

holly glitter spec.JPG

For truly edible glitters, buy those from a cake shop, so you know what you are getting. I bought some off the internet years ago, and even though they said edible, I eventually found out after reading in the paper that there were shards of plastic and kids glitter in them and should not have been used to eat. So please be very careful.

Last edited:
Lool,

Thanks for the Heads up i didn't not buy the one from amazon. do you think am better off going into a cake store to buy them? and the link you sent me that's a good website to buy from?

Pooja

@Varsani17

Yes Pooja, if your friend is going to be setting up a business or making/selling cakes, she will need to advise customers what are contained in her cakes. If you buy edible glitters from a cake store, they have a list of ingredients/allergens/etc. And if there were anything wrong with a batch you have used, they could contact their suppliers and advise them of any problems.

On the internet, even though many people do sell legitimate items and the one you have put a link to may sell wonderful items for me personally with things that are to be consumed, you have to be extremely careful, especially with how many people have allergies these days.

So with that in mind, I would buy from a cake shop and yes, the link I gave you is fine.

For edible pens, you could buy them off the internet or from the supermarket...

For certain bits of other equipment, you can buy them anywhere off the internet, but for this, stick with a cake shop. You may want to look at some more of the cake shops I mentioned if you'd like to shop around.

Last edited:
Hey Angie,

I have order the sugar gun from the link you sent me should come by the 14th April, I am now looking at decoration to buy just a few bits and pieces, i will make a hamper, basket or a box to put everything in make it look all nice. :)

I Think I might let her buy the fondant, paste etc as she knows which one she uses, I haven't actually seen her bake. but when i give her her gift I Will tell her about the petal base and Tex. Thank You

So are you a professional baker?

Pooja

@Varsani17 - Lol! Sorry, Pooja, I completely missed this post. 🙈

Excellent, what a lovely idea doing the hamper. I'm sure she will love that! Get some coloured tissue paper to line it. Yeah, if she has a certain brand of fondant/sugarpaste she uses, it would be best for her to choose her own. Moulds and embossers and push cutters and stamps are always really good items, but I don't want to bombard you with products or make you think you have to spend a fortune on stuff either.

As for me, I'm not sure whether you'd class me as a professional baker or not. I bake and make cakes for family and friends and have been making cakes for my daughter for the past ten/eleven years. (That's why I started out baking).

I've done a few courses, self-taught myself a lot over the years and then got a teaching qualification. I then taught cake baking and decorating classes at local colleges, ran my own workshops/classes and wrote a book. I built the site for people like yourself who need some advice or help and just try and help out people the best I can. 😊

Last edited:
@Varsani17

Yes Pooja, if your friend is going to be setting up a business or making/selling cakes, she will need to advise customers what are contained in her cakes. If you buy edible glitters from a cake store, they have a list of ingredients/allergens/etc. And if there were anything wrong with a batch you have used, they could contact their suppliers and advise them of any problems.

On the internet, even though many people do sell legitimate items and the one you have put a link to may sell wonderful items for me personally with things that are to be consumed, you have to be extremely careful, especially with how many people have allergies these days.

So with that in mind, I would buy from a cake shop and yes, the link I gave you is fine.

For edible pens, you could buy them off the internet or from the supermarket...

For certain bits of other equipment, you can buy them anywhere off the internet, but for this, stick with a cake shop. You may want to look at some more of the cake shops I mentioned if you'd like to shop around.
Thank you for the Tip,

The pens there safe to buy off amazon? i usually shop on amazon anyways and i have not had any issues with amazon? the glitter i will buy from cake shops or supermarket and maybe the pens if i see it in the supermarket.

which pens would you recommend if i was to buy it online?

Pooja

Yes, they are sealed and packaged up, so buying them off Amazon would be fine. I bought mine off Amazon because I'm sure they originate from the States...after checking, they are made in the USA, so they have been imported. I like these, but you have to use them on dried, hardened icing; otherwise, they will absorb into the icing or may tear it.

I have just spotted these new ones at the Cake Decorating Company made by Sugarflair, but I've never used them. These ones have a wider nib.

Edible Marker Pens

I'm still trying to figure out the other brand I bought a few years ago, and they had a softer nib to write with. If I remember them, I'll let you know.

The Foodoodler ones are full-sized pens so they're easy to write with.

Last edited:
Yes, they are sealed and packaged up, so buying them off Amazon would be fine. I bought mine off Amazon because I'm sure they originate from the States...after checking, they are made in the USA, so they have been imported. I like these, but you have to use them on dried, hardened icing; otherwise, they will absorb into the icing or may tear it.

I have just spotted these new ones at the Cake Decorating Company made by Sugarflair, but I've never used them. These ones have a wider nib.

Edible Marker Pens

I'm still trying to figure out the other brand I bought a few years ago, and they had a softer nib to write with. If I remember them, I'll let you know.

The Foodoodler ones are full-sized pens so they're easy to write with.

i might get then pens off amazon get the usual colour, black, gold and sliver.

and the glitter from the supermarket or cake shop.

The Rainbow Dust Range of products is good quality, so even though I haven't used these pens, they would be okay to buy.

For the Edible Glitter, definitely use the Cake Shops.

Hi Angie,

The two links i sent you are the 2 items am looking to purchase, i just wanted to know your opinion before buying them. Are these two a good buy? am looking to get black, gold and sliver. The sliver one the reviews are not so strong 25% gave it 1 star so am not too sure. There could be fake comment am not sure. what do you think? do you think i should buy these two or shop around more?

Kind regards

pooja

Hi Pooja, looking at the reviews, they are great for the black and gold and not so great for the silver. With that in mind, it may be worth buying her a pot of lustre dust instead, which can be used for dusting cakes and cupcakes with colour and can also be made into edible paint. That way your friend has the best of both worlds with it and she can use a paintbrush if she wishes to paint or write with it which may give her a better finish.

You can dust it over chocolates or fondant, and then it can be mixed with either alcohol or lemon juice to be made into edible paint.

Hi,

So i can buy 2 pens the black and gold and sliver dust, the dust sounds good. i will see if i can find a sliver pen else where but am now thinking if i buy the gold and black pen i can buy something different in the sliver like the dust.

Am so glad i joined this forum you have been a great help the pass two days.

So are you a professional Baker?

Pooja

Users who are viewing this thread

Back