What's new

Extra height for Victoria sponge (1 Viewer)

Janey

Hiya, me again lol, instead of 150g of each for the Victoria sponge recipe can i up it to 200g of each and 3 1/2 eggs as my cakes don't seen to be rising much and thought by inceasing the ingredients they may rise more? 6x3 inch tins.

Jane xx

This is the step by step guide with pics for making the chocolate version.

Also, this will be split into 2 tins (6x3) is that how you read it?

So sorry, @Sonia p, I missed this before. The times that I gave you are for the full 6 x 3 cake in one tin. I use a cake leveller to split the cake in two when baked; that way, you get a cake that is the same size, top and bottom. When this has baked, the bottom of the cake is flipped over and becomes the top to give you a better, smoother surface to decorate/work with.

If I split the mixture in the tins, that would make a Victoria Sandwich like this.

If you split the mixture in between two 6 x 3 tins, you will need to increase the temp and bake for a shorter time. The deeper the cake the longer the bake and lower the temp, the shallower the cake, the higher the temp and the quicker the bake.

Is there a reason why you would want to split the mixture and not bake it all in one tin?

I do hope you read this before you've started. Either that or put the mixture all in one tin.

So sorry, @Sonia p, I missed this before. The times that I gave you are for the full 6 x 3 cake in one tin. I use a cake leveller to split the cake in two when baked; that way, you get a cake that is the same size, top and bottom. When this has baked, the bottom of the cake is flipped over and becomes the top to give you a better, smoother surface to decorate/work with.

If I split the mixture in the tins, that would make a Victoria Sandwich like this.

If you split the mixture in between two 6 x 3 tins, you will need to increase the temp and bake for a shorter time. The deeper the cake the longer the bake and lower the temp, the shallower the cake, the higher the temp and the quicker the bake.

Is there a reason why you would want to split the mixture and not bake it all in one tin?

I do hope you read this before you've started. Either that or put the mixture all in one tin.
I think it's not meant to be 😆 just checked it at 50 mins and it looks crispy on top but the skewer had just liquid on it. Have added another 10 mins, about to see...

Noooo! 🙈 Victoria Sponge is my all-time go-to cake, so I don't get it. Crispy on the top sounds like it's catching on the top of your oven. Or possibly too high up. Did you put all the ingredients in one tin? I'm assuming you did if the centre is still liquid. Blimey at this rate we could have made her a Lemon Madeira with less faff!

If it's liquidy then yeah, do the ten minutes and then check, I don't get why it's crispy though. :think:

I patiently await your updates. 🙏

Noooo! 🙈 Victoria Sponge is my all-time go-to cake, so I don't get it. Crispy on the top sounds like it's catching on the top of your oven. Or possibly too high up. Did you put all the ingredients in one tin? I'm assuming you did if the centre is still liquid. Blimey at this rate we could have made her a Lemon Madeira with less faff!

If it's liquidy then yeah, do the ten minutes and then check, I don't get why it's crispy though. :think:

I patiently await your updates. 🙏
So it's been in another 15 so 1hr 5 and still the skewer isn't clean and is playing with my fragile state of mind 🤣 another 5 it is. The top now just looks pretty burnt if I'm honest. Yup, all in one tin in middle of oven. Really really not sure what to do now 😅 I need a miracle

So it's been in another 15 so 1hr 5 and still the skewer isn't clean and is playing with my fragile state of mind 🤣 another 5 it is. The top now just looks pretty burnt if I'm honest. Yup, all in one tin in middle of oven. Really really not sure what to do now 😅 I need a miracle

Attachments

• 20231103_185511.jpg
    20231103_185511.jpg
    719.7 KB · Views: 30
It does look crunchy on the top, like it's formed a crust, which I've never had before. That suggests it's baked too high, I know you've baked it at 150, so that shouldn't have been the issue, although the top has continued to bake whilst the centre was catching up. I wonder if it's the extra ingredients in your tin, Sonia what does your oven look like? Do you use a thermometer?

I ask about the oven because I have a large capacity oven and have to bake most of my cakes on shelf two rather than the centre, otherwise my cakes burn or brown very quickly.

I know this is no help but this is what the Victoria normally looks like so I'm wondering if the placement in your oven is the cause of the quick outer bake and slow centre bake.

Victoria Sponge.jpg

You'll know more when you take it out of the tin because you'll be able to see if it's soft or not. I'm hoping that you can cut the top of the cake off and the remainder will be okay.

I level fill and cover like this, so fingers crossed if the rest of the cake is okay you can cut off the top and then turn it over as you would do and use the bottom of the cake as the top.

I live in hope that you get a wonderful cake out of this.

View attachment 9398

I'm hoping the underside of your cake looks like this.
Hi, unfortunately not. The whole thing resembles a pork pie in its colouring 😅
It's just too late now to bake any more and have time to decorate it, so we're just going to buy one in the morning. I feel like such a failure. Really had such a nice cake in mind to make for her. Oh well, maybe I can make her 80th birthday cake in 10 years 🤣
Thanks for all your help as always xxx

Oh no, I'm so sorry it hasn't turned out for you. If I could, I'd have whipped you one up and let you decorate it.

Keep the cake in mind, and then when the mood takes you, make her one as a surprise.

Never feel like a failure; you tried your best. Even I've had some whopping disasters, sometimes it's just not your cake day. The point is to keep going. I have disasters even now. Dry cakes like the desert, decorations going bad. I've even cried over cake, but for some reason, I keep coming back to it. I've even launched one or two! :lmao:

So, a word of advice: be proud that you made two cakes today and not one, and give yourself a pat on the back for trying. 👨‍🍳

I'm super proud that you made two and you tried your best. :loveit: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back