What's new

Extra height for Victoria sponge (1 Viewer)

Janey

Hiya, me again lol, instead of 150g of each for the Victoria sponge recipe can i up it to 200g of each and 3 1/2 eggs as my cakes don't seen to be rising much and thought by inceasing the ingredients they may rise more? 6x3 inch tins.

Jane xx

Hi Janey

If you want to do the Victoria Sponge and gain more height using more mixture in the 6x3 tin, then you can do some of the following.

Keep the recipe as 200 grams of each, and use 4 medium eggs. Do that to keep the consistency of the cake and the structure of the bake how it should be as it balances everything out. You need the eggs for the structure and rise, so use enough.

Use the 'creaming method' for the butter and the sugar, as this is where you'll trap air pockets between the butter and the sugar, which will give your cake a better rise. Ensure you beat the butter and sugar until it goes really pale, like a very light yellow. The paler it goes, the more air you trap in the sugar crystals, which will help give you the best rise. You can whisk this for about 3-5 mins if you want because all you're doing is adding air to them, you're not overworking them so whisk away! 😊

If you want to try and add more air, beat the eggs with a hand whisk and froth them up in a jug, then add the beaten eggs one at a time and then fold them in gently to the butter and sugar. This will hopefully keep all the air you've generated in the butter and sugar and eggs. Then sieve in the flour and fold in gently only until the flour is covered with the wet ingredients and there are no flour pockets. (If you carry on mixing it you'll start knocking all the air out of it). Then pour into the tin and bake.

The aeration will help give the cakes the rise and fluffiness you want.

The 200-gram cake mix will exceed your tin when baked but if you wrap the tin with baking paper like below, it will keep the cake in shape and just exceed the tin when risen.

If you're still not gaining the height you want then you can always bake an extra cake but only add half of it to the top of your original cake, if that makes sense.

Hopefully one or all of the above will give you the extra height you're looking for.

If you need anything else then let me know.

Good Luck! 👩‍🍳

Angie x

They came out perfect xx

Jane Victoria sponges (Medium).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my word Jane, that is beautiful! I'm not surprised they loved it! You have a real talent for cakes, and thank you for sharing. It's always nice seeing the finished article. 😊

Keep up the good work. 👩‍🍳

Wow! what a beautiful cake, it looks gorgeous and no wonder they loved it, if it tasted as good as it looks they had a real treat. You definitely have a talent for cake making, I hope you can continue to produce such wonderful masterpieces. :)

Hi Janey

If you want to do the Victoria Sponge and gain more height using more mixture in the 6x3 tin, then you can do some of the following.

Keep the recipe as 200 grams of each, and use 4 medium eggs. Do that to keep the consistency of the cake and the structure of the bake how it should be as it balances everything out. You need the eggs for the structure and rise, so use enough.

Use the 'creaming method' for the butter and the sugar, as this is where you'll trap air pockets between the butter and the sugar, which will give your cake a better rise. Ensure you beat the butter and sugar until it goes really pale, like a very light yellow. The paler it goes, the more air you trap in the sugar crystals, which will help give you the best rise. You can whisk this for about 3-5 mins if you want because all you're doing is adding air to them, you're not overworking them so whisk away! 😊

If you want to try and add more air, beat the eggs with a hand whisk and froth them up in a jug, then add the beaten eggs one at a time and then fold them in gently to the butter and sugar. This will hopefully keep all the air you've generated in the butter and sugar and eggs. Then sieve in the flour and fold in gently only until the flour is covered with the wet ingredients and there are no flour pockets. (If you carry on mixing it you'll start knocking all the air out of it). Then pour into the tin and bake.

The aeration will help give the cakes the rise and fluffiness you want.

The 200-gram cake mix will exceed your tin when baked but if you wrap the tin with baking paper like below, it will keep the cake in shape and just exceed the tin when risen.

If you're still not gaining the height you want then you can always bake an extra cake but only add half of it to the top of your original cake, if that makes sense.

Hopefully one or all of the above will give you the extra height you're looking for.

If you need anything else then let me know.

Good Luck! 👩‍🍳

Angie x
Hi Angie, I'm in a massive pickle. I'm baking a 70th birthday cake for tomorrow for my mother in law (who doesn't really like me so need to do well!!) and the gf lemon recipe I usually used came out gooey in the middle. 😫😫😫 I did use 8x3inch round tins for the first time and baked at 150 for 55 mins - maybe that was the problem 🤔
I'm looking at doing the above Victoria sponge recipe in 6x 3 inch tins (200g of each with 4 medium eggs) how long would they go in a fan assisted oven and for how long please? Save me 🙏 😘

Hi @Sonia p

Aww bless you; let's sort this for you. :lmao:

Janey used my 7 x 3 Victoria mixture in a 6 x 3 tin to get the height. The mixture will exceed the tin, but wrap it around with baking paper, and it will even out the cake.

Make sure that when you cream the butter and sugar, it goes a pale yellow colour; the lighter the mixture, the more airier and fluffier your cake will be.

Add the eggs, then add the flour, then bake.

Bake at 150°C; in the centre of the oven unless you have a massive oven like me and then your oven book will tell you which shelf to use. Check after 50 minutes. If it springs back and isn't gooey, you're good, if still gooesy lol making up new words now, stick back in for increments of 5 mins until baked, 55-60 mins should do it.

Anything else let me know.

This will be your best cake yet, she'll love you after this. :loveit:

Last edited:
Hi Angie, I'm in a massive pickle. I'm baking a 70th birthday cake for tomorrow for my mother in law (who doesn't really like me so need to do well!!) and the gf lemon recipe I usually used came out gooey in the middle. 😫😫😫 I did use 8x3inch round tins for the first time and baked at 150 for 55 mins - maybe that was the problem 🤔
I'm looking at doing the above Victoria sponge recipe in 6x 3 inch tins (200g of each with 4 medium eggs) how long would they go in a fan assisted oven and for how long please? Save me 🙏 😘

With regards to your gf lemon cake, I think you needed a longer baking time, as the circular tins have a smaller surface area than that of the square ones. Which will mean the recipe you used increased in height in the circular tin as you have effectively cut the corners off so the batter won't spread out as much as it would in the square tin. Thus meaning you have to bake for longer to adjust for the new height of the same recipe, if that makes sense.

That doesn't matter now anyway because we're on with a new cake, good vibes and amazing results! 🎂 👨‍🍳 ❤️

Last edited:
Hi @Sonia p

Aww bless you; let's sort this for you. :lmao:

Janey used my 7 x 3 Victoria mixture in a 6 x 3 tin to get the height. The mixture will exceed the tin, but wrap it around with baking paper, and it will even out the cake.

Make sure that when you cream the butter and sugar, it goes a pale yellow colour; the lighter the mixture, the more airier and fluffier your cake will be.

Add the eggs, then add the flour, then bake.

Bake at 150°C; in the centre of the oven unless you have a massive oven like me and then your oven book will tell you which shelf to use. Check after 50 minutes. If it springs back and isn't gooey, you're good, if still gooesy lol making up new words now, stick back in for increments of 5 mins until baked, 55-60 mins should do it.

Anything else let me know.

This will be your best cake yet, she'll love you after this. :loveit:
Thanks so much, just checking... no baking powder? Plus just fold in the egg and flour?

No baking powder, never use it in Victoria mix, add eggs one at a time to creamed mixture, then add flour. You can sieve it in if you like for more aeration. Mix until combined then put in tin and bake.

No baking powder, never use it in Victoria mix, add eggs one at a time to creamed mixture, then add flour. You can sieve it in if you like for more aeration. Mix until combined then put in tin and bake.
Thank you. Just checking is this recipe for 2 x 6x3inch tins or just one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back