What's new

Today...what have you been up to? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well haven't I had fun and games, not.:(
Started out with trying to sort out first turning on in the morning, hadn't set the Sky Remote to work the TV yet. Anyway, still no HD apart from the free ones BBC etc. So about lunch time I thought OK I'll phone Sky and sort it out, no luck the phone was dead even though nobody was using it apparently it was Line in Use.
Phoned Kelly on my mobile and asked her to phone me so we knew what she got, engaged tone. She phone me back and Peter had said to unplug everything to do with the phone line then plug in a phone to the main socket. The phone worked so I started to plug things back in and tried the phone after each time and it worked till it came to the new Sky box then the line was dead again so I just unplugged the Sky box.

Phoned Sky and spoke to a very nice Scottish man and after telling him I didn't have my HD channels and plugging the phone line into the box knocked out the phone line. :eyeroll:

Still with me :p after he did a bit of sorting out, apparently I hadn't been upgraded, everything was working, yippee. I was going to put me through to get the phone line problem sorted but he came back to tell me there was a 15 minute wait time and did I want to wait or phone back later, I asked him what time would be best and he said hang on a minute I'm going to try something.
He asked if I had the movie or sport channels and I said no I didn't need them, the Sky box is connected via wireless to the router so he made the Sky box not need the phone line, can't remember what he said but it meant I wouldn't be bothered by Sky wanting to know why it wasn't connected. :dinesh: Anyway everything is working and I've got all my channels to go with my upgrade.

This isn't the best photo but it gives you an idea of size. Oh and sorry for the long post.:p
WP_20150103_17_57_37_Smart.jpg

The set comes with Eco Sensor turned on. You adjusting the backlight should have turned it off.

MENU> System> Eco Solution

It controls the brightness based on light levels. Enjoy! :D

A Guy

Hi Bill, I had seen that setting when on my exploring. :D I'm still finding my way around, never had a TV that could so much, I'm used to just switching on and off and they don't need much doing to them. :p

I did find another setting I could alter, it was set for Standard and there was Natural and something else plus Dynamic, I changed it to that one and John thought it looked great. Whether it will stay or not is a different matter. :p

For now I'm happy and enjoying this new set up. :wink:

Lol! I did follow you Joan and please don't apologise for the long post I'm really pleased you are now sorted. It seems Bill has also been on hand giving you his wealth of knowledge. :thumbs:

It's a little out there for me I don't do tech that's what John's for. The last time I hooked up something myself was my car stereo many moons ago. It played one song and then never worked again :unsure: nowadays if I plug it in and it works then thats me. :D I will make the setup picture bigger but I can't do it from here I will do it properly when I'm on the pc. Will also sort the other thing out too.

I am now currently counting the last few days I have with Han before she goes back to school. I have so much work to catch up on and have much to do especially here on the site and sorting through all the new legislation. I have started but need to implement stuff, i'm all revved up and ready to go so I suppose I should enjoy my last bit of freedom before the school runs kick back in.

Well I spoke too soon, John is not happy. He went down to the bedroom put the telly on in there and complained he couldn't watch his channels as they were HD and he gets a message about phoning this number to upgrade.

Of course that TV is an old, what they called portable I think a 14", and it's connected to the bog standard Sky digi box. Of course it's my fault because I've upgraded the main TV in the living room to HD :eyeroll:

I did manage to find him 5USA on 174, that was showing an old The Mentalist, I've not gone through the rest of the TV Guide on there to see what else I can find.
He just started ranting it means a new TV and box regardless of the fact we can't afford it. :eyeroll:

Lol! Joan yes I do know what a portable is I had a black and white one when I was a kid.

Oh no, that's not good have you managed to find him any more channels yet? Technology is a good and bad thing, great for being up-to-date but not when you have to do it all at once. :(

We've not done much today but we have just returned from the pictures, we've just been to see this.....

[video=youtube;KMKk7Dn__-Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMKk7Dn__-Y[/video]

I must admit I was a little unsure about it as I didn't like the second one but this was fab. :dinesh:

Well it was when we eventually got there....I looked up the times online last night and it had a showing at 13:50 so at about 13:15 we were ready to go, however, after double checking I discovered it didn't start until 14:30. :eyeroll: We were all ready at the door with coats and shoes etc so off they came and then we had to faff about for half an hour.

Once we got there though we watched the trailers and there are definitely a few more films I want to See this is a definite Home :D

:roflmao:That looked like fun.

I'm getting his channels sorted just have to find them under a different number. For instance Fox is normally 124 but on the bedroom TV it's 188.

Ordered a new Blue-Ray player yesterday, the DVD player I had is connected via Scart but when I picked the remote up it's that long since I used it, a few months, the batteries had leaked and I couldn't get the cover off. :(

The TV only has 1 Scart connection which is why we didn't bother connecting the Video recorder back on, we would be able to put that back when we take the DVD player off but we wont bother, most of the videos we have can be got on DVD if we really want them, same as the nature programs we recorded from the TV. We don't watch the videos so we'll see if we can find someone who wants them. :)

I'm sure he will thank you for it in the long run Joan but perhaps not just yet.

Well back on the school run for me today and yes you've guessed it rain, rain and more rain! Lol! It's been perfectly dry for the last few days! :unsure:

I am busy behind the scenes not with new tech well not unless you count my phone but with the new legislation that was brought in in December. I'm working through all the info and creating lovely spreadsheets and then I got ahead of myself. I wrote notes on the back of one of the sheets and just realised I have stuck it in the shredder....go me....numpty! :eyeroll: Well it is officially a Monday! Lol! :D

Hope you guys are having a better day than me, I'm sure Bill is driving round sunning himself whilst I'm out in the cold brrr. :wink:

Well it's been sunny here all day, sorry Angie. :p The boys went back to school today and Kelly said it was lovely and quiet just her and Caia.
I got a new player today, got myself a LG BP240 Blu-Ray Player, it's quite small but does all I want it to and very easy to set up. It's so nice since getting the new TV set up how easy it is to move so I can get behind to get at the plugs and the connecters on the TV. :D

I had to turn on my air conditioning today while driving :D

Looks nice Joan, lots of features :thumbs:

A Guy

I'm only jealous Bill, I imagine you windows down, sun blazing and tunes on loud whilst driving down the freeway! Ahhh, just thinking of that makes me smile. :wink:

Well it's been sunny here all day, sorry Angie. :p The boys went back to school today and Kelly said it was lovely and quiet just her and Caia.
I got a new player today, got myself a LG BP240 Blu-Ray Player, it's quite small but does all I want it to and very easy to set up. It's so nice since getting the new TV set up how easy it is to move so I can get behind to get at the plugs and the connectors on the TV. :D

You enjoy your sunshine Joan, what I would give for a dry day. Han went back to school yesterday too which was nice as now I can get back into work mode finally. I bet Kelly is loving some one on one time with Caia.

Ooh more technology, you are indulging aren't you I'm glad it's a much easier set up for you. We can't even get behind our tv due to the spaghetti junction behind it. :dizzy:

Today I am learning, John has just told me about the tag function on the site so I am now working through the entire site. :scream: Apparently Kari has already been using this function on my site for a while, lol, may have to ask for a few tips! :D

Well that sunny day didn't last long get up today to gale force winds and rain. :eyeroll:

At least I haven't got spaghetti junction now, 3 power cords, TV, Sky and Blu-Ray player, the same with the others just an HDMI cable to each piece and now we don't have to have the phone line plugged in that's another one less. :wink:

Have we got another feature to learn on here or is that tag thing just for behind the scenes people ?

Am I right in thinking you have an enormous TV up on a wall Angie ?

I had to turn on my air conditioning today while driving :D

Looks nice Joan, lots of features :thumbs:

A Guy

Thanks Bill I've not looked into all the features yet, after setting it up all I did was put a DVD in to play to try it out. :wink:

Does it all work Joan?

I'm all tagged out now so I'm off for a brew, I've so earned it. :D

Yes so far everything seems to be working fine it's fantastic, makes me realise what I've been missing all these years. :D

Just got to find out who'll take all my videos and the recorder don't fancy just dumping them at the tip. :scream:

I'm currently on a de clutter too, we haven't made it to the loft yet but I'm working my way through the house. I am glad you are all sorted, I must admit when we did HD I didn't see the point too it but now I do, although due to the appalling speed of internet we have here I tend to download anything on HD otherwise it takes me forever.

We do have a few vids but I need them converting to digital before I bin those, I did have cassette tapes years ago but John told me to bin them which I did, then we bought a car with a tape player. Lol! I told him they were making a comeback.

Anyway night night as I know you're off to bed shortly and I'm still a tad proud for figuring out my review and rating. I've spent months looking at other people's profiles trying to work out how to put it back in. :dinesh:

I still have a load of cassette tapes, I don't have the means of turning my videos into digital DVDs, I know it can take awhile to convert and you need space to store the files while converting.

Most of the videos we have can be got as DVDs even the nature ones we recorded, the thing is we don't watch them plus most of them come on TV at some point if we do want to watch them again.

Well done on your hard work, just logged in and saw the Tag button so I clicked it, then I clicked on Tips and was presented with a nice list, I'm very impressed Angie the site is really going from strength to strength well done to you. :D

I do know that at some point we will do it so I am loathed to bin the vids even though the quality will be poor I would still like to see the film on them. I have my wedding vid that needs converting and a few other things but thats about it. We don't have any films on vid but like you say most things now you can get on Netflix or Sky etc so we generally watch them on there.

Thanks Joan, the tagging is taking me a while as I have to go through the entire site but once I've input all the keywords the tag cloud will get bigger and hopefully easier for people to source info from.

I think the only wedding I've got on vid is my eldest sons and as they have been divorced a few years now don't think that will matter much. It wasn't the best anyway everything seemed to be drowned out by a quartet playing, it was in a hotel, and it didn't show that much anyway.

Kelly and Peters wedding was done onto DVD by someone who knew what they were doing, during the filming and putting it onto DVD.
There was one part of the ceremony that we hoped had been left in because it caused such a laugh but it was left out. Friends had been invited with their toddler and they were late, they walked into the registry office just as she was asking if there was anyone who knew any reason etc. Well everyone burst out laughing even the registrar was laughing. :D

What speed do you get where you are I've heard you complaining about it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back