What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [5] (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, you should say that because we can apply for her provisional licence shortly. I'd still pick her up from places, but I can't wait until she can drive and have her own independence. It sounds weird saying it, but I know it's not far off. 🚗

I know it's a shame she hasn't been able to keep them up, but I'm sure it will all come back to her easily enough though. It'll just be surreal when she's zipping about in her own car.

car GIF

So she gets a Vette then?

A Guy

Lol! Not a chance! 🤣 We have looked at a few for her, and then we settled on a Toyota Aygo; however, after Han and John went to the showroom to have a look at one, he's not quite sure whether it will be suitable.

toyota aygo (Medium).png

The good thing is we have a while until we need to get her one, so I'm sure we'll all agree on something, in theory anyway.

That car looks nice Angie, in what way is it not suitable?

It's a bit lightweight and small, so we're not quite sure whether it's sturdy enough yet especially for motorway driving. We haven't ruled it fully out, but it didn't help that a pensioner was driving one the other day, and Han saw and then said old people drive them. 🤣

I know; they scratch really easily and show up every mark, so I would never have another. Ideally, we want something that stands out and doesn't blend when the weather is grim. We liked the two-tone paint job on this as it made it a little stylish. No matter what she ends up with, it will definitely be better than the motors John and I had.

Definitely better than the one and only car I ever had, it was a 3 wheeler.

The engine was in the back, there were 2 wheels at the back 1 at the front making it very light and I found it hard to drive. Frank, that was my first husband, even put a couple of curbstones in the boot to try to weigh it down but it didn't really help, we lived at the cemetery at the time so had the stones to spare, it was the early 70s.

We bought it for £60 pounds and sold it for the same amount, it didn't matter anyway as I never passed my test and gave up driving. I sometimes think it was the worse thing I did and often wish I'd carried on and got a full licence, at least we didn't have to go through the theory test in those days. 😂

Was it Blue? One of the neighbours, when I was a child, had a Blue three-wheeler. I think that's the only colour they made them in. You could always hear him coming from miles off because it was so loud! 😂

I was going to ask whether you could drive or not; I've been driving since I was seventeen; I couldn't wait to drive and started learning my highway code when I was 16. It's so different for them now; we didn't have black boxes to check up on us when we drove, we only had three questions to pass a test, and we didn't have to learn how to park in a supermarket bay. My how times have changed.

I made a test cake yesterday for Han's upcoming birthday cake, I made the top tier which turned out great so I just have to make the bottom tier now and check the timings. John had his slice with custard and Han had hers with glace icing. I had a slither but I'll have a proper slice today.

I can't remember what colour it was to be honest.

I first started to drive when I was about 17/18 in a Mini, my first husband used to borrow his brother's car to visit me when we were first courting, I lived in Nottingham and he lived in Loughborough.

It was the mid-70s when I used some compensation money I'd got and started to have lessons. Just before my test was due the instructor got a new car but it had quite a fierce glutch so I cancelled the test until I was used to the car but they said I didn't give them enough time and had to forfeit my fee.

That was it, I just packed up, I couldn't afford to spend any more on it so never drove again. I often regretted it later on but I wouldn't want to drive these days. :scream:

I can't remember what colour it was to be honest.

I first started to drive when I was about 17/18 in a Mini, my first husband used to borrow his brother's car to visit me when we were first courting, I lived in Nottingham and he lived in Loughborough.

It was the mid-70s when I used some compensation money I'd got and started to have lessons. Just before my test was due the instructor got a new car but it had quite a fierce glutch so I cancelled the test until I was used to the car but they said I didn't give them enough time and had to forfeit my fee.

That was it, I just packed up, I couldn't afford to spend any more on it so never drove again. I often regretted it later on but I wouldn't want to drive these days. :scream:

My first car had a really high biting point, so it was great fun when trying to do a hill start. I get what you mean about packing it in. I've known a few people do that, and many of my friends didn't even learn to drive. I was the only girl in our friend group who could actually drive. Some of them learned years later, and some of them still don't drive.

I didn't want to bus it to work, so that's why I learned how to drive as soon as I could. As for driving nowadays, there are a lot more restrictions, and then there's the 'smart' motorways, not quite sure who came up with that moniker, but there's nothing smart about them.

I got my license at 16, couldn't hardly wait. 1st time I drove by myself, I just drove somewhere and parked and sat loving I was by myself :D

A Guy

I was supposed to be making another test cake today for the bigger tier, but when we ordered the eggs, I'm not sure if we ordered enough, so I'm going to have to wing it when I make the proper one. 🤣 I had such high hopes of prepping for this cake, but the days seem to be flying past me, and I'm still working out how many decorations I still have to make! I suppose as long as it's edible, then everything else is just window dressing. 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back