What's new

Today...what have you been up to? [4] (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I seem to be on my own today :scream: the heating is still doing what it's supposed to do and not what it wants to do :D It's been quite cold today so it's a good job I've got the heating coming on when I actually need it so I'm a happy chappy at the moment.

How are things going at your end Angie, any more news on the oven temps ?

Colonoscopy today. All in all, the whole prep horror stories did not occur for me. It's not a fun process, but isn't bad at all. Results in a week or so. Fingers crossed. A Guy

Hope the results are good when they come through Bill, glad to hear the procedure wasn't too unpleasant for you. :loveit:

Yes, not a very nice procedure but obviously one that was required, here's waiting for the good news Bill and that you have the all clear. :thumbsup: I went with the thumbs up emoji as I don't have a fingers crossed one...I better get on to John for more emoji's. :p

@ Joan I'm glad that Harry is the man and has resolved your issues and that you're finally toastie. I'm not quite sure what's going on with this house! The heating was heating the water the other day instead of heating the house so it was freezing, now I spend my life saying heating on heating off heating on heating off! There is seriously no happy medium to this house, in the summer it was great but with the sudden drop in temps I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

As for the oven, I've read the book and I've yet to find where it tells me to shut the grill door! I have googled and according to some people they have said to shut the door but I disagree, once the door is closed it then becomes an oven so I guess me and the engineer will have to agree to disagree. In the event I do melt all my dials off then I'll be in line for a new oven so I'm not actually that bothered although I'm sure it would take a hell of a lot of heat to melt the things! :eyeroll:

We haven't heard anything back from them yet so I'm assuming they are still waiting on the parts.

That was the problem here Angie, a crossed wire so when the water heating was on it knocked the heating off, or something along those lines. It's nice to have a warm house again, just got to find my level again.
The service engineer put a new tube on the oil tank, the one that shows the level of oil in the tank, the old one was so grotty you couldn't see the level very well. When the tank was put in the first person who delivered a load of oil put a strip of tape around the tube to give me an idea of how low I could go and get a 1,000 Ltrs of oil in, which was the amount to get the lowest price per Ltr, of course the new tube doesn't have that so I've got to try and work out just how far down the tube it was.

Just looked in the instruction book for my cooker. It's an Indesit and under the Grill instructions in bold print it tells you on no account use the grill with the door closed. I know that usually in double ovens the top one uses the grill and an element in the floor of the grill compartment to heat as an oven. It's one of the reasons they tell you not to use an oven liner on the floor of the grill compartment, it's OK in the main oven as their elements are on the side of the oven usually. :wink:

Last edited:
I never use a liner but having said that I clean my oven and grill every time I use them so no need.

I'm with you leave the door wide open and then you can see what's grilling. I've also turned it down too as the book says put the grill on the highest heat but when I do it practically grills the backside off everything.

I have to wing the cooking and the baking at the mo until it's fixed so I'm just using my oven thermometers to ensure I have a rough idea of what temp I'm getting.

I've also just ordered myself a floor buffer for the kitchen tiles. I got it on a lightning deal so I'm hoping that it makes the floor all sparkly and shiny.

I'm so glad the boiler is now sorted for you albeit that you now have to gauge the oil yourself.

Hopefully now there will be no more sagas for a while and you can have a little breather. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I hope so, mind you I do have a window in the living room that doesn't close tight up to the seal around the bottom corner on the hinge side. :eyeroll:

Looks as if I'm here on my own today, pleased to say the heating is still working well so no dramas today, apart from the weather being horrendous with the win and rain and you know how I feel about the wind. :anguished:

My landlord changed all the windows to double pane insulated ones a couple of years ago. The old ones had glass as thin as I had ever seen. The tracks were worn down so there were metal shavings in the tracks. When it was windy they'd rattle and you have to put folded paper towels in between the glass to make it stop, lol

Now they help keep the cold out, and the heat in, and muffle almost all outside sound. Much better. Building is older than I am :)

A Guy

Yes mine are double glazed, the previous landlord had them changed in 2002 from single glazed ones. This is the window in the living room, it has 1 very large pane and at the side an opening panel with a small opening panel at the top of that, you have about a foot of wall at the top and bottom. It's a very large window, I agree they are brilliant when they work not so good when there's a gap around part of them letting a draught in. :unamused:

Happy Thanksgiving Bill. [emoji884] Whoop whoop I have a turkey icon lol. [emoji16]

So we've moved onto windows now have we. [emoji6] We're going to have to get some new ones when we get a moment but they'll have to wait for now. I've finally cleared the spare room and set the exercise bike up. It does look a little lonely but I'm sure we shall get it some friends soon. [emoji16]

I've also been out, dropped a lot of old stuff in the charity boxes and been to get some tester pots for the hall. We've decided that we cannot live with the hall carpet much longer so we're going to decorate it before Christmas and get a new carpet. The problem being is that we cannot agree on a colour and all the testers I bought John doesn't like. He would have come with me to choose them but we're still waiting on deliveries that should have been here Wednesday!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Oh no, not yet. Trying to figure out who will play you in The Book of Joan: The Movie :)

A Guy

Ha ha maybe we could collaborate! :p

So we have bought a load more testers today for the hall and we are still no further on in deciding a colour :eyeroll:, at this rate we are going to end up with a patchwork design of all the tester colours. I think the problem we have is the colour that shows in store isn't the true reflection so when we put the paint on the walls it looks completely different.

On another happy note or is it lol :wink:, my ovens are being sorted tomorrow :clapping:, apparently they now have the parts so both of them should be fixed tomorrow!

It's also wonderful to hear the news of Prince Harry's engagement to Meghan Markle, they look extremely happy and I wish them all the very best with their up coming nuptials. :)

Last edited:
Glad to hear your ovens are being fixed Angie and I agree about wonderful news and Prince Harry he deserves some happiness so I hope everything works out for them both. I just hope they don't get hounded by the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back