What's new

How to make easy Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers (1 Viewer)

So to add to the other Easy Cupcake Toppers I have made, here are some easy flower toppers for you to have a go at.

I thought due to the colours, they would be perfect for a baby shower, summer theme or one you could make for your nearest and dearest. As you can see, the design is straightforward, and you'll only need a handful of tools.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

When I made them, I came up with two versions of the flower. The easiest version is the flat pink, yellow, and blue flowers on the top row. The second version is a slightly more bulbous and rounded flower effect on the bottom row, as seen below.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers By Help Me Bake 2 (Medium).jpg

In this tutorial, I will show you how to make both, and from that, you can decide which version you'd like to try out yourself. They're also a fun one to make with the kids on a rainy day.

Here's how to make them.

Equipment​

1 Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (Medium) (1).jpg

• Silicon Mat
  • Larger Fluted Edge Pastry Cutter
  • Smaller Circle Pastry Cutter
  • Small Rolling Pin
  • Scallop Tool
  • Dresden Tool
  • Water Pen/Paintbrush & Water
  • Icing Sugar/Cornflour for dusting with (Optional)
  • Confectioners Sugar/Cornstarch for the USA.
  • Cling Film/Saran Wrap (Optional)
Note: If you are making the toppers with young children, I would use Method 1 to make the flowers and avoid using the plastic wrap, as shown in Method 2.​

Method 1​

1 Take some white icing/fondant and roll it out.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (1) (Medium).jpg

2 Using the large fluted edge pastry cutter, insert the cutter into the icing/fondant.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (2) (Medium).jpg

3 Rotate the pastry cutter in a clockwise motion. This will cut the icing/fondant and remove any rough edges.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (3) (Medium).jpg

4 Once you have cut the shape and removed the excess.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (4) (Medium).jpg

5 It can then be stuck to your cupcake/dummy. (If you are sticking it to a real cupcake, you would use jam or buttercream).

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (5) (Medium).jpg

6 I used a little water to stick mine to the dummy.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (6) (Medium).jpg

7 Now take your centre colour. I chose pink for this one.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (7) (Medium).jpg

8 Again, roll it out to your required thickness and size.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (8) (Medium).jpg

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (8A).jpg

9 This time, take the smaller cutter and use the circular edge to cut the circle.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (9).jpg

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (10).jpg

10 Then, place the pink circle in the centre of your white fluted circle. To stick them together, lift the pink circle and add a little water. (I used the heat generated from my hands to allow the two to stick together).

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (11).jpg

11 Then, take your smiling/scallop tool and indent two 'sleeping' eyes and a mouth underneath.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (12).jpg

12 Now, take your Dresden tool and indent the space between the white and pink icing to give a defined 'petal' look.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (13).jpg

Do this all the way around the edge like so.​

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (13A).jpg

13 Once complete, repeat the process and use alternative colours.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers by Help Me Bake (14).jpg

How to make the edible flower centres more bulbous.​

If you want to make a more bulbous centre do the following in replacement to steps 8 and 9 above; however, if you are doing this with small children, then avoid doing Method 2 as you will be working with plastic wrap/cling film.

Method 2​

1 Roll out your icing fondant thicker than before, and then place a sheet of cling film/saran wrap over the top of it.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers Version 2 by Help Me Bake (1) (Medium).jpg

2 Then, using your smaller cutter, push it into the icing/fondant and cling film.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers Version 2 by Help Me Bake (2) (Medium).jpg

3 Rotate the cutter forwards and backwards to score through the icing/fondant and form the bulbous circular shape.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers Version 2 by Help Me Bake (3) (Medium).jpg

4 Peel the cling film/saran wrap away, and you are left with a bulbous circle with smooth sides. Stick the pink circle to the white fluted circle with a little water, and then place it on the top of your cupcake or cupcake dummy. Repeat the decoration phase from step 11 above.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Toppers Version 2 by Help Me Bake (4) (Medium).jpg

If you wish to make the flowers for a vertical topper, cut two fluted whited circles, place one of them on the work surface, and put your lollipop stick in the centre. Then add a little water to the top of your white circle and then place the other fluted circle directly on top of it, so you are effectively sandwiching the lollipop stick between the two pieces. Then do the same decoration process as before but leave the lollipops flat for a while to allow the icing/fondant to dry and adhere properly to the lollipop stick before placing them vertically in your cake or cake dummy.

Smiling Flower Cupcake Topper Vertical Version by Help Me Bake (1) (Medium).jpg

Overall, I think these are adorable toppers and easy to embellish if you want to jazz them up.

I hope you enjoy making them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back