What's new

How to make easy Elf Toppers (1 Viewer)

As I have made a Santa cupcake topper, I thought it only fair to incorporate the elves in there, too, so after a few design changes, I finally landed on this. Now I will show you the other variation, and then you can decide which one suits you best.

Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

Again for this, you will only need a few colours of icing fondant and edible pearls if you prefer. To make the toppers, you will only need green, yellow and brown icing fondant. Red pearls or red icing. A knife and some circle cutters.

Method​

To begin with, I rolled out my green icing fondant.

1 Elf Topper by Help Me BakeMedium).jpg

I then cut the icing slightly larger than my cupcake dummy.

2 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (4) - Copy (Medium).jpg

This allows the edges of the icing fondant to be rounded off around the cupcake dummy. If you prefer you can just cut the base the same size as your cupcake.

3 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (8) - Copy (Medium).jpg

Now here's where the design started. This is Design 1, which is relatively simple and easy to do. I scored a line down the centre of the icing fondant with my Dresden tool.

4 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

I then roll out some yellow icing fondant and cut a smaller circle for the elf collar using the fluted edge of my pastry cutter.

5 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

I then used the straight edge of my pastry cutter to cut the elf collar again.

6 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

This would then make the shape of a collar and would fit on top of the green icing.

7 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

Like so. I liked the design at this bit but then.

8 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

I then tried making a v indent and added some red pearls. I wasn't happy with this design, so decided to start over.

9 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

I re-rolled some green and yellow icing fondant and cut them using the pastry cutters.

10 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

However for the elf collar this time I decided to cut a small rounded neck area using a smaller pastry cutter.

11 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

I then cut the fluted edges off and made them into points instead, and then used my pme wheeler to make a stitching effect around the collar.

12 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

This was then stuck to the green icing using a little water and the where the points of the collar met the green icing fondant, I indented the icing using a ball tool.

13 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

This was to make it easier to place the edible pearls in place. If you do not have red pearls you can roll up small balls of red icing instead.

14 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

I then indented the points of the collar with my dresden tool.

15 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

I then rolled brown icing to make the belt. I cut it using my infinity cutter but you can use a knife if you prefer.

16 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

I removed the strip and then cut it down to fit over the green icing.

17 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

I stuck it to the icing using a little glue.

18 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

I then cut out a small circle for the belt buckle.

19 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

I then used another circle cutter to cut inside of the circle to make the buckle.

20 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

I then carefully placed this onto the brown belt strip and stuck it using the tiniest bit of water.

21 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

I then rolled a small piece of yellow icing fondant on my fingers.

22 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

This was then positioned on the buckle and indented into the brown icing using the Dresden tool.

23 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

I then continued with the Dresden tool and made indentations in the belt.

24 Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

This was my final design, with two further indents and a line at the top of the elf collar.

Elf Topper by Help Me Bake (Medium) (1).jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back