What's new

How to make easy Teddy Bear Toppers (1 Viewer)

As we are approaching Valentine's day, I thought I would make some themed teddy bear toppers for you to have a go at. I have made them in a knitted bear design using a knitting mould and also a plain design in case you don't have a mould. They are easy to make and another project you can do with the kids.

I have created two designs so you can decide which one you like best.

Teddy Bear Toppers by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (19) (Medium).jpg

To make the teddy bear cupcake toppers, you will need the following:-

Ingredients and Equipment​

• Brown/White/Red Icing Fondant
  • Black Pearls or Black Icing Fondant
  • Pink Lustre Dust (Optional)
  • Small Sized Circle Cutters
  • Pastry Cutter
  • Scallop Tool or Straw
  • Ball Tool (Optional)
  • Small Heart Cutter
  • Knitting Mould - I used the Katy Sue Knitting Silicone Mould
  • Edible Glue/Water
  • Large and Small Paint Brush
  • Icing Sugar/Cornflour for Dusting
  • Rolling Pin/Mat
Note: I use cupcake dummies for illustration, so I only use water or edible glue to stick things together. If you are placing these toppers on cupcakes, you will need a little jam or buttercream to stick the base of the topper to your cupcake. After that, you will use edible glue or water to stick/create the design.​

Method​

1. Lightly dust your mat and roll out some brown icing fondant.

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (1) (Medium).jpg

2. Take a medium paintbrush and lightly dust your icing fondant with icing sugar or cornflour before using the knitting mould. (Either that or lightly dust the mould). I dusted the icing because it was easier than dusting all the little crevices in the mould.

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (2) (Medium).jpg

3. Place the mould on the top of your icing fondant and roll over it with the rolling pin.

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (3) (Medium).jpg

4. Carefully peel the mould away to leave the patterned icing fondant.

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (4) (Medium).jpg

5. Using a pastry cutter, cut a circle the size of your cupcake.

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (5) (Medium).jpg

6. Stick the circle to your cupcake using jam or buttercream. (I use cupcake dummies, so I use water instead).

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (6) (Medium).jpg

7. Then, using a small circle cutter or push cutter, cut out some circles for the ears. You will see from the picture that the first circle was smaller than the second one. This is because the first circle I cut was too small for the ears, so I used my next size up.

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (7) (Medium).jpg

8. Once you are happy with the size of the ears, stick them to the base of the face using a little water or edible glue. (Tip Ensure that when you cut the ears, the knitted pattern runs in the same direction).

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (8) (Medium).jpg

9. Then, take a larger cutter and cut the nose/mouth circle. Again stick that using a little water or edible glue.

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (10) (Medium).jpg

10. Then, take a scallop tool or the end of a straw and indent the mouth.

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (11) (Medium).jpg

11. Now, take the black pearls and place them in the nose and eye area. (If you don't have the pearls, use some black icing fondant and roll it into tiny balls instead).

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (12) (Medium).jpg

12 The pearls will push straight into your icing fondant but can be stuck with a touch of edible glue or water. (If using black icing fondant, lightly stick the rolled balls to your brown icing using a little water or edible glue).

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (13) (Medium).jpg

13. Then, take a small piece of red icing fondant.

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (14) (Medium).jpg

14. Lightly dust it with icing sugar or cornflour, then place the mould over the icing fondant and roll over it with a rolling pin.

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (15) (Medium).jpg

15. This will imprint the icing fondant with the knitted pattern.

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (16) (Medium).jpg

16. Then, take a small heart push cutter and cut out two small hearts.

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (18) (Medium).jpg

17. Stick these side-on under the mouth of your bear to create a bowtie.

Easy Teddy Toppers by Help Me Bake (17) (Medium).jpg

And there you have a knitted valentine's day bear cupcake topper.

Method 2 - White knitted design.​

1. Roll out some white icing fondant, again dust the icing and then place the knitted mould over the icing and roll over it with a rolling pin.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (1) (Medium).jpg

2. This will imprint the mould pattern into the icing.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (2) (Medium).jpg

3. Cut a circle using a pastry cutter and stick this to your cupcake using jam or buttercream. (Again, I use water as I use cupcake dummies for illustration purposes).

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (3) (Medium).jpg

4. Then cut two small circles for the ears and stick them to the base icing using a little edible glue or water.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (4) (Medium).jpg

5. I then cut out some more knitted hearts using the pre-rolled/pre-patterned icing I had made for the brown bear bowtie. Next, I cut three hearts and stuck them between the ears to make a heart-shaped headband. These were attached using a little water or edible glue.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (5) (Medium).jpg

6. I then cut out the nose/mouth circle, which is slightly bigger than the ears.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (6) (Medium).jpg

7. I then used my scallop tool to indent the mouth impressions.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (7) (Medium).jpg

8. I then took three tiny black pearls ensuring they were all relatively the same size. (Ensure the two eyes are the same size).

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (8) (Medium).jpg

9. I then pushed them into the icing where the eyes and nose should go. Here are both of the knitted designs together.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (9) (Medium).jpg

10. As the white bear looked a little plain, I decided that I should use a little lustre dust for the cheeks.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (10) (Medium).jpg

11. I placed a little pink lustre dust on some kitchen roll/towel. I then rubbed my paintbrush into the lustre and dabbed off the excess.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (11) (Medium).jpg

12. I then lightly dusted the cheeks of the teddy bear topper. Tip - If you have put too much lustre dust on the white topper, take a little icing sugar and then lightly dust using another paintbrush over the lustre you have put on the cheeks. It will soften the colour and make it go paler.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (12) (Medium).jpg

Method 3 - Plain Bears​

1. Cut all the shapes you did previously but skip the part using the knitted mould. I used the ball tool for this part to make an indent of where the nose would be, making it easier to push the black pearl in the icing as I already had a crevice/dip for it to sit into.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (13) (Medium).jpg

2. I did the same for the eye sockets.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (14) (Medium).jpg

3. I then re-rolled some red icing, this time leaving it plain before cutting out some more heart shapes.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (15) (Medium).jpg

4. I then dampened just under the mouth with my water pen.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (16) (Medium).jpg

5. I then stuck the hearts side-on to make the bowtie shape.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (17) (Medium).jpg

6. I then recreated the white bear in the plain design.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (18) (Medium).jpg

These are both the knitted bear and plain bears together.

Teddy Bear Toppers 2 by Help Me Bake (19) (Medium).jpg

As you can see, they are really easy to make and only take a few shapes. You can embellish the designs or use whatever colours you prefer to get the overall design you want.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back