What's new

How to make a Rainbow Unicorn Cake Topper (1 Viewer)

Unicorns are lovely little mystical creatures that seem to be adored by everyone, so what better way of bringing your favourite creatures to life than making an edible one! Whether it be for kids or adults alike, I'm sure the recipient of this lovely whimsical creature will thoroughly enjoy it.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (79) (Medium).jpg

How do I make a Rainbow Unicorn Cake Topper?

To make an edible Unicorn cake topper, you will need the following items:

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (1) (Medium).jpg
  • Icing Fondant
  • Lustre Dust - Gold & Pink
  • Click- Twist Brush - Metallic Light Gold
  • Double-ended Ball Tool
  • Ball Dotting Tool
  • Scallop/Comb Tool - (If you wish to make a mouth).
  • Dresden Tool
  • Paintbrushes
  • Kitchen Towel/Roll
  • Tylo/CMC Powder - (This is a hardener that will help your topper supports itself).
  • Black Pearls or Black Icing
  • Cocktail Sticks/Edible Candy Sticks or Dried Linguine
  • Silicone Mat
  • Cake Board
  • Cling film or Saran Wrap
  • Edible Glue or
  • Water Pen with Vodka

What Colours did you use for the Rainbow Unicorn? I used Renshaw...

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (2) (Medium).jpg
  • Poppy Red
  • Tiger Orange
  • Yellow
  • Lincoln Green
  • Baby Blue
  • Dusky Lavender
  • White Icing Fondant - Waitrose

Method

1 Take a cake board the same size as your cake will be and place it on the table in front of you. You will be using this to 'size' your Rainbow Unicorn topper. I.e. You will constantly be placing the topper on this board to ensure that you have the right size Unicorn for your finished cake. You may wish to place a piece of cling film/saran wrap on top of it to stop the unicorn from sticking to it.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (4) (Medium).jpg

2 Take a blob of white icing fondant and sprinkle some Tylo powder in the corner of your mat.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (3) (Medium).jpg

3 Rub the blob of icing fondant into the Tylo powder.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (6) (Medium).jpg

4 Start to knead the powder into the icing fondant by rolling it in your hands.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (7) (Medium).jpg

5 Roll the icing fondant into a ball, making sure all the powder has absorbed into it.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (8) (Medium).jpg

6 Start smoothing the icing fondant between both hands and start making a cone shape.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (9) (Medium).jpg

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (10) (Medium).jpg

7 Place it on your cake board and check out the size. If you are happy with it, then continue; if not, repeat steps 4 - 6 until you get the correct shape.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (11) (Medium).jpg

8 I then inserted a cocktail stick into the 'body' part of the unicorn. You can substitute this for a candy stick or piece of dried linguine if you prefer. Make sure there is enough stick poking out to support the head.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (12) (Medium).jpg

9 Now, take another piece of icing fondant, dab it in the tylo powder and start to rub it in.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (13) (Medium).jpg

10 Split the icing in half, as this will give you two even pieces to use for the legs.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (14) (Medium).jpg

11 As you can see from the picture, there is too much icing fondant, and the leg is too big.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (15) (Medium).jpg

12 I then removed some of the icing fondant and re-rolled the leg.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (16) (Medium).jpg

13 I re-rolled it between my palms and then shaped it with my thumb and forefinger to taper the edge.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (21) (Medium).jpg

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (22) (Medium).jpg

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (19) (Medium).jpg

14 As you can see, it's now a much better size. Stick the leg on using edible glue. (I used the vodka from my water pen).

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (20) (Medium).jpg

15 Now make another leg. You could also make another two for the arms/legs if you like. (I made mine later).

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (23) (Medium).jpg

16 This is what the legs will look like from the back of the Unicorn. Again I stuck the other leg on with vodka from my water pen, but you could use edible glue.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (24) (Medium).jpg

17 Now to work on the head. Firstly add some more tylo to a piece of icing fondant and roll it into a ball.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (25) (Medium).jpg

18 Size it against the body...as you can see, it's too big.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (26) (Medium).jpg

19 Remove some of the icing fondant and re-roll.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (27) (Medium).jpg

Place it against your unicorn body and see if it's the correct size. If you are happy, then move on to no 20; if not, remove some more icing fondant and then re-roll again.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (28) (Medium).jpg

20 Now for the indent in the face. Note: If you want the back of the head to remain round, then hold the unicorn head in the palm of one hand and then push your little finger into it with the other. As per the below picture, I did mine on the mat and slightly flattened the back of the head.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (29) (Medium).jpg

If you wish the head to remain in shape, then try using a head cradle to prevent the flattening of the head.

21 This is what the indentation should look like.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (30) (Medium).jpg

22 Now, make two eye sockets with the small end of the ball tool.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (31) (Medium).jpg

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (33) (Medium).jpg

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (32) (Medium).jpg

23 I then took two black edible pearls that were the same size.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (35) (Medium).jpg

24 Place them in the sockets; if you don't have pearls, roll two small balls of black icing fondant and use those instead. I then used the larger end of the ball tool to push them in place.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (36) (Medium).jpg

25 Now roll two tiny pieces of white icing fondant.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (37) (Medium).jpg

26 Carefully place them in the nostril area.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (38) (Medium).jpg

27 Now, use the dotting tool to push a tiny hole into them.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (39) (Medium).jpg

28 Now, place the head on top of the body. Note: If you are using a candy stick, make a hole in the bottom of the head first before pushing onto the body; otherwise, you may squeeze the head out of shape.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (41) (Medium).jpg

29 Now, onto the rosy cheeks. Pour a small amount of Pink Lustre dust onto a piece of kitchen towel/roll.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (42) (Medium).jpg

30 Dab your paintbrush into the lustre and then dust it onto the kitchen roll. This takes off the excess. Tip: If you want to soften the lustre and lighten it slightly, add a touch of cornflour to it.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (43) (Medium).jpg

31 Test the lustre dust onto a piece of spare icing fondant; you can then check the colour of it and whether there is too much or too little on your brush.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (44) (Medium).jpg

32 Once you are happy, lightly dust the cheeks of the unicorn with it.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (45) (Medium).jpg

33 Now for the ears. Make two small balls of icing/fondant.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (46) (Medium).jpg

34 Flatten them with your fingers, and then lightly pinch the ends of them with your thumb and forefinger to make a point.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (48) (Medium).jpg

35 Use a Dresden tool to make the indent of the ear.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (47) (Medium).jpg

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (49) (Medium).jpg

36 Then lightly dust the ears with pink lustre dust.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (50) (Medium).jpg

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (51) (Medium).jpg

37 I then started to make another set of arm/legs. You may have already made them when I mentioned it before.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (52) (Medium).jpg

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (53) (Medium).jpg

38 If you are unsure whether to place the arm/legs in the air (because it can get a bit fiddly), then you can always place them in front like this.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (54) (Medium).jpg

39 If you wish to carry on, then do this. Taper the edge of the leg add edible glue, or in this case, I used vodka that was in my water pen and use that to stick the arm/leg to the body.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (56) (Medium).jpg

Please note that it took me a few times to get the arm/legs in position without everything moving.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (57) (Medium).jpg

40 Once they were in place, I very carefully and softly wrapped the body with cling film/saran wrap to add support to the arm/legs while they dried. I then went off to make a cup of tea.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (58) (Medium).jpg

41 Now for the unicorn horn. Roll a very thin sausage.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (60) (Medium).jpg

42 Put the ends together and squeeze them slightly.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (61) (Medium).jpg

43 Put your thumb and forefinger at the ends you've squoze together and twist; this will then start to resemble a unicorn horn.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (63) (Medium).jpg

44 The more you rotate and twist the icing/fondant, the tighter the shape of the horn.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (64) (Medium).jpg

45 Cut off any excess.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (65) (Medium).jpg

46 Then make some edible paint using gold lustre and vodka and paint the unicorn horn with a paintbrush. Or, if you prefer, you could use the Click Twist Brush to paint it. If you are using lustre and vodka, you may need more than one coat. Leave to dry, then attach to the unicorn using edible glue later when you've done the mane. Be quick, though, as vodka evaporates, so you may need to keep making paint unless you put it in a sealed pot.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (67) (Medium).jpg

47 You can now remove the cling film/saran wrap from the body so we can start on the mane & tail. Start by rolling small strips of icing/fondant in your fingers like so.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (68) (Medium).jpg

I used the heat from my hands to stick the mane on the unicorn, but you can use a little edible glue.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (69) (Medium).jpg

Keep making strips until you have done all the rainbow colours in order. Red, Orange Yellow, Green Blue, Lavender

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (70) (Medium).jpg

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (71) (Medium).jpg

48 This is what the mane looks like from the top angle.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (72) (Medium).jpg

49 Now you know where the mane fringe will be, you can stick the ears on using edible glue.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (73) (Medium).jpg

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (75) (Medium).jpg

50 Then, take some small pieces of icing fondant for the tail.

Unicorn topper by Help Me Bake Medium (76a).jpg

51 I started with the Lavender one, first rolled it thin, then attached them in a backwards order blue, green, yellow, orange until I reached red. You can also see that I've coloured in the arm/legs with the metallic light gold click brush and stuck the horn in the middle of the head with a little edible glue.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (78) (Medium).jpg

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (77) (Medium).jpg

52 Here's the finished tail. You can see that the colours match the mane.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (81) (Medium).jpg

And there you have it, one edible Rainbow Unicorn Cake Topper. 👩‍🍳 I hope you've enjoyed the tutorial.

Unicorn Topper by Help Me Bake (80) (Medium).jpg

Also see...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back