What's new

Help with Unicorn Rainbow Cake (1 Viewer)

clerahi

So the birthday cake specification is in...

Our granddaughter's answer was chocolate, rainbow, rainbow on top, unicorn on top, maltesers on top. I think the first rainbow means inside, I've seen those and thought that's a step too far. Our son added that she doesn't like fondant, which rules out my idea of wrapping it in white fondant. Does that mean a buttercream or ganache topping?

Any ideas based on this?

Excellent, thanks. So the chocolate goes in at the end instead of the vanilla in the video I watched.

As I haven't made it, you'd be wise to go on youtube and just check out other videos of the chocolate one just to make sure they all use the same method. Either that or see if the person of the vid you've already watched has a vid of the chocolate one.

I guess a downside of the cake liner is you need one for each cake size. I'll learn how to do it without using a liner first, so I can decorate any size cake.

Yeah, that's fine; I only popped it on here for options for you or for other people. It just looked relatively simple; it was covering made easy, and judging from the video, they got such fabulous results with it.

I received this video from The Cake Decorating Company last night and thought it was worth a share in here, seeing as you're making a layered cake.

Yeah, on the vid they are squirting the ganache at the outer plastic layer first and then backfilling so they aren't touching the layers (or mixing the crumbs) and are only filling in the spaces with the chocolate ganache so effectively locking them against the cake in one go. Normally when you cover the cake in buttercream, you are constantly touching/spreading and moving the cake in a backward and forward motion creating crumbs which is why you have to do the crumb coat; plus, it gives the cake an even structure to work with and you can fill any holes or imperfections with it. Whereas in the video, you just layer/stack and fill the cake, and the liner holds the structure of the cake in place. I'm really quite impressed with how it turned out, although I'm sure they measured and levelled out each layer first to make sure everything would turn out straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back