What's new

Chocolate Glacé Icing Tutorial (1 Viewer)

If you want to make a chocolate glacé topping that is soft when eaten but sets on the top of your cupcakes, then this is the topping for you.

It can be easily poured and is relatively quick and easy to make. You'll only need three ingredients, and you can even add decorations to it if you fancy jazzing it up a bit.

Glace Icing by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

Ingredients/Equipment​

• 155 Grams Icing Sugar/Confectioner's Sugar
  • 25 Grams Cocoa Powder
  • 4 - 5 Tablespoons Warm Water
  • Sprinkles (Optional)
  • Mixing Bowl
  • Measuring Spoons
  • Medium Spoon
  • Sieve
  • Small Bowl/Dish for the Water
1 Glace Icing by Help Me Bake Tutorial (Medium).jpg

Note: This will cover approximately 10 - 12 cupcakes.

Method​

1 Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa powder into the mixing bowl.

2 Glace Icing by Help Me Bake Tutorial (Medium).jpg

2 Stir them together with a spoon.

3 Glace Icing by Help Me Bake Tutorial (Medium).jpg

3 Add two warm tablespoons of water to the bowl, one at a time. Then start to combine the dry and wet ingredients together with a spoon.

4 Glace Icing by Help Me Bake Tutorial (Medium) (Medium).jpg

4 Now add the third tablespoon of warm water. This will start to create an icing paste.

5 Glace Icing by Help Me Bake Tutorial (Medium) (Medium).jpg

5 If you add a fourth tablespoon of the warm water, it will start to resemble a smooth, glossy, shiny icing that coats the back of the spoon. (You may not need all the water, which is why you should add the tablespoons in stages).

6 Glace Icing by Help Me Bake Tutorial (Medium) (Medium).jpg

7 Glace Icing by Help Me Bake Tutorial (Medium).jpg

6 If you are happy with the texture and thickness, then stop adding water here. (I added an additional half tablespoon of warm water, which made the consistency slightly runnier. As shown below).

7 If the icing is too thick, add a little more warm water. If the icing is too runny, add a little more icing sugar.

8 The icing should be slightly thick but runny enough to drip off your spoon. The higher I lifted my spoon, the easier it was to drizzle and runoff.

9 To coat your cupcakes, take a spoonful of the icing and drop/drizzle a blob in the centre of your cake.

10 Then rotate the cupcake clockwise and anti-clockwise in your hand. This allows the chocolate glacé icing to slide across the cupcake and cover the surface. Avoid using a spoon to drag it into place, as this may trap/collect crumbs and ruin the coating layer.

11 Once the top of your cupcake is covered, add sprinkles if required. (I placed blobs of glacé icing on baking paper for illustration purposes).

8 Glace Icing by Help Me Bake Tutorial (Medium).jpg

12 Leave the icing to firm up/set on your cupcake before serving. This will take around 30 minutes for the top coat to harden slightly. The chocolate glacé icing will set and form a disc on the top of your cupcake, but when you bite into it, it will be soft.

9 Glace Icing by Help Me Bake Tutorial (Medium).jpg

Note: If you have any extra glacé icing, this can be kept in your mixing bowl covered in a few layers of cling film/saran wrap overnight on the kitchen side/counter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back