What's new

Cake Baking & Decorating - Student Creations, Salford College - (Oct 2012 - Dec 2013) (1 Viewer)

Cake Baking and Decorating Adventures - these are some of the fun stories and pictures from our lessons.

baking adventures.jpg

I have created this section to display the wonderful creations that the students have made and I also do write-ups on the adventures we have along the way! :D

Clare:

Claire's Beautiful Bow.JPG

Clare's Beautiful Bow design, during the course she has created many cakes including a lovely one for her Gran. She has learned many new skills so much so that she even made a beautiful 2 tier cake on her own for her sisters birthday. I saw the pics and she did a fabulous job.

Janet:

Janet's Fabulous Floristry.JPG

Janet's Fabulous Floristry design, she is very creative and colourful in her design choices and her cakes always make me smile.

Halloween:-

Angie:
-

Halloween Models HMB.jpg

These were a few ideas I came up with for a Halloween Week.

Laura:

Laura's - Spooky Special..JPG

Laura's Spooky Special design, she previously made a double-bodied snowman cake the week before and is progressing wonderfully, she is utilising her new skills and loves creating and trying new designs.

Sue:

Sue's Charismatic Cupcakes.JPG

Sue's Charismatic Cupcakes, she is a continuous student and completed a few of the courses now. I love having her in a class as she is fabulous, always asking questions, eager to learn and always willing to have a go at anything. She has a wonderful personality and always brings a giggle to the lesson.

I'm very proud of all the ladies and thoroughly enjoy teaching them.

Last edited:
I am a little sad today as I will be missing tonights Mince Pie and Sweets lesson. I'm hoping the ladies have a lovely evening and I'll finally get to see them next week.

We missed you last night, Angie. It definitely wasn't the same without the banter between you and Linda :D I hope your back is much better and you're taking it easy because we need you next week :scream:

We had a good session. The Lovely Linda was kept on her toes with all the 'demming' and demands for help and advice. Our mince pies were gorgeous mainly due to Linda's lovely sweet shortcrust pastry recipe. We then went on to make chocolate truffles but Cath and I became a bit flustered because we were running out of time; the consistency of the chocolate seemed too thick and a bit unworkable and then Cath realised that she hadn't added the butter and neither had I. So we had to rescue the chocolate from the chiller, melt the butter and warm it all up a bit in a bowl of warm water (all of which was advised by Linda) and by the time we'd done all this, it was too late to turn the mixture into truffles. However, Jill, Michelle and Cheryl obviously paid more attention and managed to create lovely truffles in the allotted time .... and some fudge as well!!! Anyway, we still had a fun night and made lots of mess as usual. Can't believe it's our last week next week although looking forward to our Christmas night out at Leo's on 2 December when someone else will be cooking for us instead.

See you next week x

Thanks Sue, I must admit it was a bit bizarre being at home instead of teaching but unfortunately needs must. I am glad you missed me though! I will without a doubt be there next week no matter what!

LOL! I'm sure you had a great time with Linda, once she gets her festive head on that's it, the domestic goddess awakens and she's on a role. Her shortcrust pastry is to die for though as you have gathered, it's proper melt in the mouth stuff.....FABULOUS!!! Aww bless what are you two like :p, at least you made the mistake together! LOL! I'm sure you'll try again at home when you have a spare minute and make wonderful truffles. I can't believe I've missed taste testing again and with sweets too, my favourite!
I'm sure you all made lots of mess but left it spotless as usual. :D

I'm looking forward to being back next week albeit tinged with sadness with it being my final week. However, I can't wait for Leo's though and a wonderful evening with you all.

:thumbs:

Thanks, Joan & Bill...

Now for our 'Christmas Do' write up!

So I finally managed to make it to my parent’s house after nearly being squashed twice by a few other vehicles on the motorway! I wasn't best pleased about this as it's my first night out on my own, no child or husband in tow since I don't know when so needless to say I was looking forward to the evening!

After a quick brew with my Mum I got a lift off my Dad, he dropped me off outside the restaurant and asked if anyone was there that I knew. I said I couldn't see anybody in the window but told him I'd be fine and headed for the entrance anyway. I pulled on the door, and it seemed to be locked, so I pulled at it again, no luck. Next minute a lady appears behind me looking to get into the restaurant too, she pulled the left door and walked straight in! I scurried in after her and said ‘Oh that's how you get in’! Lol! I then spoke to the waiter and advised him we had a table booked for the evening; he proceeded to show me where Cath and Sue were already sat chilling and drinking Prosecco no less! Go, ladies! :pArty:

I joined them and plonked myself down at the head of the table and ordered a coke, not long after Jean arrived followed by Michelle, Jill then eventually Linda. We all settled in perused the menu and had little chats in between. After a little chit chat, we all placed our orders and then let the party get in full swing. I was sat at the top of the table with Linda and Jean. Linda was telling me she was looking forward to Christmas and taking the Grandchildren to the Pantomime. I told her I was off to one on Sunday to which she replied so am I. We both have tickets to see Dick Whittington at the weekend. I asked her where she was sitting, and she said the bottom level about five rows from the front I said great I'm above you so I can throw things at you! :p

We then asked Jean whether she had any children or grandchildren to which she replied yes, I wouldn't divulge her age but let's just say I was shocked to find out how many years young she actually is! I would never have guessed let me tell you; she's got great genes and aged very well!

Next, the ladies were asking how Linda and I came to know one another, I advised that I too was a student and Linda and I had hit it off from day one, they were actually quite shocked by this, not by the fact Linda and I get on, but the fact I was indeed a student myself. I actually confessed about my very first demo whereby I managed to stick marzipan to the table. I advised the class that this was part of the demo on how things go wrong if you don’t use enough icing sugar! 🤓

We then got chatting about my site. Sue is an avid member and gives me great feedback; she’s an integral part of the community and is a great baker and decorator to boot. I explained to the ladies why I’m building the forum and what my ideas are going forward. Cath divulged that although she doesn’t post on the site, she is very much behind the scenes and is very fond of the write-ups; she thinks I should write a book! Maybe one day if I ever get the time. (Maybe one day she’ll post too). :wink:

It was wonderful spending quality time with the ladies as you get out to find out so much about them. I discovered that Michelle attended the same school I did, and Cath’s friend was actually my primary school headmaster’s wife, small world hey!

The ladies were also very kind and bought me and Linda a present, this is my very first teaching present, so this quite touches me although I haven’t yet opened it. Instead, I had to sit at the table with my hands over my eyes whilst Linda oohed and ahhhed over the gift and said ‘Oh my mother had one of these’ I guess I will find out on Christmas Day what all the oohing and ahhing was about! :D

We then got chatting about advent calendars. Michelle said that they had bought an advent for the rabbit. Apparently, the kids didn’t want it to feel left out, and you can buy them for any pet nowadays, aww bless that's so sweet.

Jill was also excited about Linda’s final Mums and Tots session as they were meeting Father Christmas; her daughter is quite the character and seems to be a star baker in the making, and she’s only two bless her!

Jean managed to get a lot of photos from the evening, which is a point I must email over to the other ladies too.

It was a lovely evening and a final farewell to me as I will be concentrating on my own programs next year but have been snapped up already by Linda to do a few guest slots. (Well you can't get rid of me that easy). :wink:

It was a fantastic evening and much fun, even to the point of Linda driving me back to my parents, not only did we drive around and around the roundabout like a scene from wacky races (Linda was working out the best way to go) when we did finally end up near my mums we were that busy in the conversation we missed her house! It wasn’t until were half a mile up the road until I shouted ‘we’ve missed the house’. So instead of doing a U-turn (like normal people) Linda simply stuck the car in reverse, whilst I was laughing hysterically in the passenger seat. It took us six stop-start reverses, whilst the other drivers wondered what on earth we were doing before we ended up where we should be! Seriously it was like a scene from Dumb and Dumber; there’s never a dull moment.

:ROFLMAO:

Thank you, ladies, for a wonderful time, a fabulous course, your many questions and extending my knowledge! It’s been a ball!

Class of 2013 (well not all of them).

College Class 2013 (Small).jpg

We finally managed to get Michelle in this picture! She's the first lady on the left.

Present (Small).jpg

My lovely present.

Prosecco (Small).jpg

The Prosecco, I nearly dropped this on Jill's head while moving it to take a picture! Oops!

Pics courtesy of Jean! Thank you, dear, much appreciated!

P1000513 (Small).JPG

P1000516 (Small).JPG

A great night with great company!

P1000518 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
As usual a wonderful write up Angie, definitely sounds like a good night was had by all glad you all enjoyed yourselves. :D

It was, it was a shame everybody couldn't make it but we had a great time and much fun. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back