What's new

Cake Baking & Decorating - Student Creations, Salford College - (Oct 2012 - Dec 2013) (1 Viewer)

Cake Baking and Decorating Adventures - these are some of the fun stories and pictures from our lessons.

baking adventures.jpg

I have created this section to display the wonderful creations that the students have made and I also do write-ups on the adventures we have along the way! :D

Clare:

Claire's Beautiful Bow.JPG

Clare's Beautiful Bow design, during the course she has created many cakes including a lovely one for her Gran. She has learned many new skills so much so that she even made a beautiful 2 tier cake on her own for her sisters birthday. I saw the pics and she did a fabulous job.

Janet:

Janet's Fabulous Floristry.JPG

Janet's Fabulous Floristry design, she is very creative and colourful in her design choices and her cakes always make me smile.

Halloween:-

Angie:
-

Halloween Models HMB.jpg

These were a few ideas I came up with for a Halloween Week.

Laura:

Laura's - Spooky Special..JPG

Laura's Spooky Special design, she previously made a double-bodied snowman cake the week before and is progressing wonderfully, she is utilising her new skills and loves creating and trying new designs.

Sue:

Sue's Charismatic Cupcakes.JPG

Sue's Charismatic Cupcakes, she is a continuous student and completed a few of the courses now. I love having her in a class as she is fabulous, always asking questions, eager to learn and always willing to have a go at anything. She has a wonderful personality and always brings a giggle to the lesson.

I'm very proud of all the ladies and thoroughly enjoy teaching them.

Last edited:
I know aren't they fab, it was chocolate week this week and they really created some show stoppers, they are really coming into their own! :D

I have now finished teaching at college for this term and have to say that I will be unfortunate to see this group go. It's very rare that you ever get an entire group that oozes enthusiasm and are excited by each challenge, but this group was just that! :cool:

Over the weeks we have had the highs and lows of baking and cake decorating! The ladies have discovered that no matter how good you are; baking doesn't always turn out how it should nor does decorating, however, as long as it's not burnt to a crisp (which nothing was) and with a stick of that here and a squeeze of that there then generally anything can be rescued! :p

To Cath, Sue, Sue, Fozia, Louise, Laura, Michelle, Cheryl and Jill THANK YOU, for the fabulous funtastic weeks you have given me. You've made me giggle, a multi-task more than I knew was possible, expanded my knowledge and been a joy to teach. I'm extremely proud of every single one of you. You have excelled yourselves, and your passion for your subject resonates in your creations!

I have seen you all evolve from slightly hesitant have a go bakers to professionals creating some absolute masterpieces. I feel blessed that I have been part of your journey, met some true, real-life characters, and I'm also thrilled in fact that I have inspired you all in some way or another. :wink:

Although our time together has ended, for now, you have definitely made an impact, and I look forward to teaching you again soon. Before I finish up, I would like to do a few mentions.

I am hoping Cheryl with her decorative flair will make that Christening Cake that she inadvertently signed herself up for. :p Do it, do it, do it!

Michelle, you have a fabulous eye for colour within your baking and decorating creations keep up the great work!

Sadly on our last day, I only managed to get a few photos from our session as some people decided just to make the brownie and others did their Christmas Cake run-throughs. I think you'll agree they have done a FANTASTIC JOB!

Cath:

Cath.jpg

This is Cath's fabulous festive creation; it's straightforward but very effective! Beautiful job!

Sue P:

Sue P.jpg

This is Sue's fantastic festive design even Father Christmas himself would be pleased with this one!

I will also make you giggle with my blurry-eyed bluebird that looks ever so slightly drunk :scream: .....in fairness I did throw him together 10 minutes after the lesson had finished and YES when I get a minute I will put a tutorial on the site as promised, albeit the outcome should be a lot better than this! :p Click here for my original bluebirds.

Angie:

Blurry Bluebird.jpg

Now known as Bertie 'blurry-eyed ' Bluebird, courtesy of Joan :cool:

Last edited:
So it was a return to teaching Wednesday albeit I was still under the weather, with a very sore head, however, Nurse Linda made sure I was ok and it turned out to be an eventful and fantastic evening! Just what the Doctor ordered!

Not only did the lovely Sue and Cath return for another term, Jill, Michelle and Cheryl have all returned too!........Excited much! We also have another two ladies Sharon and Jean who are looking forward to all the exciting lessons we have in store and the girls have already given me a list as long as my arm of things they wish to make!

No pictures were taken this week however I will definitely be sure to get some next week as we are making everything from Polar bears to pianists! I've got my work cut out for me that's for sure.

I have also taken a look at some of the creations the ladies have made over the summer and I'm really thrilled with their creations.

Next week should be a very creative one.....can't wait! :D

I can't wait too Angie. It was great to be back amongst friends. My Victoria sponge is delicious - just about 2 pieces left, so ready for a new bake! Hope you're feeling much better now. You really weren't well on Wednesday, were you? Looking forward to Wednesday :)

I know, I can't believe we've got most of the girls back together, it's definitely going to be a fun few weeks. I'm glad you're enjoying your sponge.

I think I'm at 95%.....well nobodies perfect lol! Having a very busy weekend, I have my workshop Monday and then back to college weds, you'll be pleased to know my water pens arrived so I'll bring them with me to show you. I used one today and it's great!

You're not ignorant Joan, they are a new fandangled cake gadget.

Basically it's like an empty felt tip that you fill with water and they come in a range of tip sizes, medium thin etc, they are an alternative to using paint brushes and water or edible glue and are used to stick models/ icing decorations together. (Quickly and more efficiently).

I will be posting a pic in the hints tips and tools section when I get a mo, just mad busy this weekend.

Yeah I saw them a while ago on a course and thought they were a great tool, with a paintbrush you should always dab off any excess water to prevent icing from 'bleeding' colours into one another but with these they distribute just enough.

See Waterpen

We had a bit of a mish-mash lesson this week and a very quiet one due to the low numbers although no drama though. However, we did manage to cover numerous topics and had fun, all the same; it was quite relaxing actually. :D

We covered everything from Chutneys, curd to crimping. Linda ran the demo of the Chutney and Lemon curd, and I showed the ladies how to use the crimpers on icing fondant as Cath had requested the week before. They each had a turn using different styled crimpers, and I showed them different techniques and how to apply pressure when crimping.

This week we finally got round to doing Garrett frills (Yeah) which I'm pleased about because Sue has been waiting since week 2 for this! Anyhow, I showed the ladies how to make the frills using the decorating tool and an easier cheaper way of creating the frills using different items.

Jill was busy preparing for her daughters Doc McStuffin cake, so I assisted her with her plaster designs, she made some lovely plasters with hearts, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished cake. I also quickly made a mummy for Halloween and then made a swift throw together Santa for Sue to give her an idea of how to make him for her Christmas themed cake. He turned out better than my robins did in the day (squashed ducks with red faces. I should have taken pictures so you could laugh!

All in all, it was a lovely evening finished off with some fabulous goodies....the lemon curd is delicious!

Sue:

Sue Apricot Chutney.jpg

This was Sue's fragrant Apricot Chutney with Delia's Sherry I think, it smelt devine!

Cath:

Cath Curd.jpg

Here is Cath's Lemon Curd, I love this stuff!

Jill:

Jill plasters.jpg

These are going to look great on her daughter's cake.

Jean:

Jean Chutney.jpg

This is Jean's savoury chutney just finishing being thickened up.

Crimping:

Crimping.jpg

This is the girls attempt at crimping; I didn't take any pictures of the Garrett frills but see Santa!

Santa:

Santa.jpg

Here is the quickest throw together Santa you've ever seen, his face is a bit flat and squished but not bad seeing as I didn't have any tools with me. Sue tells me I make modelling look easy.

When I have more time, this is what he looks like!

Santa Claus Christmas Cake.jpg

Mummy:

Mummy.jpg

Here's the Halloween Mummy, it looks like me on a good day! :wink:

Can't wait for next week we're on Chocolate Logs and Choux Pastry.....hmmmmmm!

Last edited:
Great stuff Angie, and Hannah is way too cute :wink:

One of my 1st jobs was working at a candy factory. They sub let some space to a guy who was making some new candies. Somehow I ended up being his cook. Made the mistake of trying one of the unsweetened chocolate pieces! I couldn't leave to get some water as I had to watch the temperatues and the timing was exact. I never tried that again! :D

A Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back