What's new

Cake Baking & Decorating - Student Creations, Salford College - (Oct 2012 - Dec 2013) (1 Viewer)

Cake Baking and Decorating Adventures - these are some of the fun stories and pictures from our lessons.

baking adventures.jpg

I have created this section to display the wonderful creations that the students have made and I also do write-ups on the adventures we have along the way! :D

Clare:

Claire's Beautiful Bow.JPG

Clare's Beautiful Bow design, during the course she has created many cakes including a lovely one for her Gran. She has learned many new skills so much so that she even made a beautiful 2 tier cake on her own for her sisters birthday. I saw the pics and she did a fabulous job.

Janet:

Janet's Fabulous Floristry.JPG

Janet's Fabulous Floristry design, she is very creative and colourful in her design choices and her cakes always make me smile.

Halloween:-

Angie:
-

Halloween Models HMB.jpg

These were a few ideas I came up with for a Halloween Week.

Laura:

Laura's - Spooky Special..JPG

Laura's Spooky Special design, she previously made a double-bodied snowman cake the week before and is progressing wonderfully, she is utilising her new skills and loves creating and trying new designs.

Sue:

Sue's Charismatic Cupcakes.JPG

Sue's Charismatic Cupcakes, she is a continuous student and completed a few of the courses now. I love having her in a class as she is fabulous, always asking questions, eager to learn and always willing to have a go at anything. She has a wonderful personality and always brings a giggle to the lesson.

I'm very proud of all the ladies and thoroughly enjoy teaching them.

Last edited:
Thank you, I'm very proud of everyone's achievements and thought it would be nice to have a thread to showcase their work. This will be a continual thread. :D

Ana:
Anna M (1).JPG

Ana decided that she wanted to create a flower cake this week for her friend, she has utilised her new skills and also learned how to cover the board using the strip technique.

Claire:
Claire O.JPG

Claire is new to the group and made some lovely christmas decorations, she is happy to attempt any task and is very eager to learn she even attempted crimping a board in her first week.

Liz:
Liz O (2).JPG

Liz covered her cupcakes with mini chocolate puddings and christmas trees, she has discovered that making individual 3D decorations is very time consuming, however, she is always up for a challenge and laughed her way through it.

It was Christmas Cupcakes tonight, so I demonstrated a variety of designs:-

Angie:-
Christmas Cupcakes HMB 1.jpg

Christmas Cupcakes HMB 2.jpg

Ana:

Anna's Christmas Cupcakes.jpg

These are Ana's Christmas cupcakes, she has an eye for detail and a thirst for knowledge regarding cake decoration and is always happy to try new designs and constantly wants to learn new techniques. She has a real passion for cakes and decorating and is always on the lookout for new tools and ideas; she's my TK Maxx lady! :wink:

Claire:

Claire's christmas Cupcakes.jpg

Claire's Christmas Cupcakes, this week she has used different techniques to aid with her cupcake designs. She has captured every essence of Christmas and has created her very own unique range. We have everything from a Christmas stocking to snowflakes.:) Well done!

Liz:

Liz's Christmas Cake.jpg

Liz's Christmas Cake, Liz is the laughing lady of the group and has learned many skills over the weeks, I'm really proud of how she has progressed and am really pleased with her newfound abilities. I just hope she remembers me when she's famous! :wink: Just remember I'm Angela, not Linda! LOL!

Cont......

I also had some new recruits in the lesson yesterday, they did a wonderful job in their attempts at Christmas Cake's and were assisted by the lovely Linda!

Amy:

Amy's Christmas Cake.JPG

This is Amy's amazing snowman design.

Ella:

Ella's Christmas Cake.JPG

Ella's exciting snowman, I especially love his eyes hmmm yummy!

Linda:

Linda's Christmas Cake.JPG

Linda's lovely snowman candle design, simple yet effective, I must confess the snowman fell off twice whilst moving him...oops sorry Linda!:p

Michelle:

Michelle's Christmas Cake.jpg

This is Michelle's marvellous Christmas cake; she did a wonderful job considering this was her first-ever decorated cake well done. I'm sure this will be the start of many for you and will keep you, and you're girls busy over the Christmas period. :D

I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who has attended the course, we have had lots of fun and laughs along the way and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Last edited:
Well as you know, I'm back teaching now and have a wonderful bunch of ladies that really make me giggle! Each have their own personality but are fun in every way; I would like to say a quick hello to Angela, Margaret, Erica, Linda, Denise and Lucie.

Yes, it does get quite confusing when me 'Angela' and the lovely Linda are in a class with our namesakes but makes it all the more fun.

Angela and Margaret already make cakes for family and friends and are very enthusiastic and have plenty of ideas of what they like making. Erica is our dusty lady as she always has icing sugar imprints all over her. :scream: Linda loves trying anything new and is very keen to learn new techniques. Denise is our returning student from Christmas and Lucie is our taste tester. :D

I only managed to do a 5 min demo last week on my birds as the tortes ran over time-wise, however; I did manage to show Margaret a mini snowman demo (she was making a snow/skiing cake for her son) and I actually managed to show the girls how to cover their tortes using Rossini curls and a ribbon, which wasn't on the cards but was a useful technique to show them.

This week was better time-wise, but nothing ever goes perfect, I managed to blow my piping bag up and fire the the nozzle out as the buttercream had hardened, :eyeroll: Margaret tried using her magic hands, but unfortunately, the buttercream prevailed. Then I managed to squash Linda's lovely royal iced bun with my Wilton Tin whilst trying to explain what the tools are used for! :scream:

I did, however, manage to show the girls how to pipe rose two-tone swirls on the top of cupcakes, how to make roses using 5 petal flower cutters and other techniques on how to enhance and emboss icing. We also made a few blossom flowers using two colours, and I showed the girls are a straightforward way of making the flowers like a 3D effect without any effort.

Angela brought in some lovely Vanilla and Chocolate cupcakes to taste which were yummy, and the ladies also showed me some of their own gallery of cakes. I must say I'm very impressed with the skills these ladies have, they are very creative and love to have a go at anything.

We always end up running over on the lesson time and this time I'm struggling on obtaining pictures from these girls; I'll make an extra effort next week as it's our final week.

I would also like to say a very well done to Linda who had made these Bluebirds at home, after watching a speedy demo she had managed to recreate the birds beautifully here they are:-

Linda: (Student)

Linda's Bluebirds.JPG

Last edited:
Just gone through the whole thread and I'm feeling hungry now. There are some beautiful cakes and you should be very proud of yourself with your teaching skills, you obviously have a great talent which shows in the cakes your pupils make, well done Angie. :)

Thanks Joan that's very kind.

I really enjoy doing it and love seeing the faces of the students when they have actually managed to create their own master pieces, sometimes they are quite surprised with their own achievements. :D

Here are some of the fun creations that people have made at college:-

These are some of Linda's lovely designs that she has created (she is my teaching sidekick), I am pleased that I can manage to teach a lady of 30 years to experience a thing or two, she keeps me on my toes and has taught me lots about baking, so it's actually quite nice to be able to teach her something. She was getting very creative on our last lesson. :D

Linda:
Linda's Lovelies (1).JPG

Linda's Lovelies (2).JPG

These little hedgehogs though are a favourite of Linda's, and she has made them for many years. She loves making them especially with her grandchildren; they make me smile every time she does them. :)

Linda:

Linda's Lovelies (3).JPG

This was a cupcake cake made by one of our students Angela (AJ Cakes), she has a very creative nature and adores all things cake, she piped this cookie monster cupcake and finished it off with a cookie of course. Fabulous :D Well done!

Angela: (Student)

AJ Cupcake (1).JPG

Last edited:
Well, last night's lesson was great fun as we expected, Linda said we are like the hairy bikers except a little less hairy! Us that is not the students lol! :p

I would like to say a BIG hello to all our new ladies Jillian, Michelle, Liz, Laura, Catherine, Susan, Sue, Fozia and Louise who were cooking up a storm in the kitchen last night. :cool:

I'm very impressed with the experimentation of colours; these new ladies are all about colour and effect and were making all kinds of colourful creations. We had everything from pink, purple to even a green and red marble design and the lesson time went over.

There were lots of ideas, questions and more importantly taste testing at the end of the lesson just to ensure that everything tasted divine.

This is my teaching sidekick Linda's marvellous creation which contains everything from sponge, jam, chocolate, colour sprinkles, buttercream to mini eggs.

Linda:

Lindas Lovelies 5.jpg

These were my two quick and easy alternatives, I added the polka dots to the mix to add splashes of colour but also decided to use Soft Shimmering Pearls too. I can confirm ladies that the shimmering pearls soften whilst cooking and have a tiny 'crunch' texture when eaten.

Angie:

Dotty Sponge 4.jpg

With these two marble cakes, I topped one with Terry's Chocolate Orange, and I left the other one plain. The reason there are two halves to this cake is that I dropped the other half off at my parent's house before heading home. :D

Angie:

Marble and Chocolate.jpg

All I can say is that we had a wonderful night, albeit a late one and I look forward to teaching you again very soon.

Last edited:
Well, it was teaching time again last night and what a lesson it was. I did a cupcake demo, a piping demo, we had a question and answer session, and I also told the ladies about my microwave cake experiment.:D (I also updated them on Linda's holiday highlights and confirmed she's off camping with the Bears! :p)

I was really pleased that all the cupcakes came out of the oven looking fab as I'm not a lover of gas and wasn't sure how they would turn out (unfortunately I left mine in the kitchen in the muffin tray and by the time I had remembered about them they had sweat and had very soggy bottoms! :eyeroll: lol) Needless to say I did a two-tone rose piping demo on my 'here's one I prepared earlier' :wink: using my cupcakes Cath's buttercream (thank you Cath!) and using Michelle as my lovely assistant. I also taught Cath lasts weeks level/fill/covering simultaneously whilst running this weeks lesson, so it was a hectic evening indeed. :cool:

We had a fun night, and the ladies created lots of different cupcake designs using the multiple techniques I had shown them. I'm really pleased that everyone managed to make the evening, albeit with a little juggling and that everyone attempted the piping. Well done Sue P, Cath, Sue D, Fozia, Louise, Laura, Michelle, Cheryl and Jill for your creations and a thoroughly mad busy fab evening, you keep me on my toes, but I love every minute!

An extra thanks also to Sue P and Cath for helping me tidy up! :D

These were my quick demo cakes:-

Lime Coconut Two Tone cupcakes.jpg

Once again ladies here are your creations:-

Cath:

Cath 1.jpg

These are Cath's luscious lemon two-tone rose cupcakes which she made alongside levelling/filling and covering an 8-inch cake! Well done you!

Sue P:

Sue P 1.jpg

These are Sue's lovely lemon flavoured cupcake cakes alongside her two-tone Cappuccino and Vanilla Cupcakes with homemade flower and heart decorations! Fabulous! :)

Sue D:

Sue D.JPG

Sue has created lovely levelled cupcakes and has made a fabulous attempt at two-tone piping. I'm really really pleased that you had a go at this well done you! Loving the colours too! :D

Fozia:

Fozia 1.jpg

These are Fozia's colourful cupcakes; she has used melon, green and pink to create these great designs! :)

Louise:

Louise 1.jpg

These are Louise's beautiful two-toned lemon designs finished off with edible flowers, these remind me of honey and bees! So glad you made it! :D Fabulous job on your Lego cake too!

Laura:

Laura 1.jpg

These are Laura's mouthwatering chocolate cupcakes! They were chocolate and choc chunk cupcakes covered in chocolate buttercream and chocolate sprinkles! Absolute choccy heaven! I bet these didn't last long! Gorgeous!

Michelle:

Michelle 1.jpg

Michelle has created these beautifully covered strawberry cupcakes, used different piping techniques to create different patterns and finished off using edible rice paper butterflies. Beautiful results, very creative! :wink:

Cheryl:

Cheryl 1.jpg

These are Cheryl's marvellous cupcake creations (she loves colour, accessories and anything that will enhance her cake creations) I hope your colleagues enjoy all your creative efforts. :wink:

Jill:

Jill 1.jpg

These are Jill's tremendous two-tone designs, excellent job on the piping and I love the star decorations they are fabulous!

Another excellent evening filled with enthusiasm, questions and a willingness to learn, you are a fabulous group, and I will really miss you when my weeks finish! Looking forward to our chocolate week next week, though!!! :cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back