What's new

Today...what have you been up to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah November 5th 'Bonfire night' is when Guy Fawkes tried to blow up our Houses of Parliament so we celebrate by making 'Guy's' each year and burning them on top of a fire. We make treacle toffee (candy) and have cooked potatoes from the fire. We also have fireworks.

I don't like the fire or fireworks, so I enjoy the food part! ;)
 
I love treacle toffee and honeycomb, round here these days the only bonfires and firework displays are organised events, not like when I was growing up, everyone had a bonfire, we used to have a big one in the middle of the street and we'd put potatoes wrapped in foil into the bottom of the fire, the kids would be running up and down the street letting off fireworks and we'd all have sparklers, good times. :D
 
Mmmm honeycomb, need to make that at some point, I was actually thinking about it the other day.

I agree, you'd find wood from anywhere and one of the neighbours used to have a fire in the back garden and you'd have a get together. These days even at organised events there's always incidents and accidents. I never did like sparklers much as I was never sure when they'd go out!

I prefer to stay in now and watch through the window lol!
 
Jams pickles and Chutneys today with a little cake modelling thrown in, although I cannot seem to make a Robin today for love nor money, for some reason my brain and hands are ignoring one another! :unsure: So I made Christmas puds instead!
 
A quick cuppa whilst all the cakes are cooling for tonight's workshop...3 more days to Halloween, Halloween, Halloween ha ha well tonight in my case. ;) I've also made some blueberry and raspberry cupcakes too but they're for me and I managed to get my berries to stay at the top and not sink. I will post the pics tomorrow.
 
I've just returned from the Halloween Workshop. It's been a great evening and the ladies have made some wonderful creations.

:thumbs:

.....I've got sore feet now and I'm very tired...early night me thinks....

:sleep-039::sleep-039:
 
Halloween means my youngest grandsons birthday, he'll be 4 this year and I don't know where the times gone since he was born. :rolleyes:
 
I bet he has the best parties though. ;)

I know what you mean about time flying by Joan, when the kids are racing through the years that's when you notice it the most, it's quite frightening really. I'm still ok yet though, Hans not into double figures apparently that's when it really starts to fly.
 
He does have good parties, his parents are really into the dressing up and decorating their place I mean when you give birth at 3.30 in the morning come home from hospital in the afternoon and that night the lot of them were out round the village trick and treating. :rolleyes:
I'd gone round about 11 the night before when she started labour to look after the other one who was about 18 months old, we always said poor Cameron his mother put him to bed that night and he woke up the next morning with granny there. ;)
This was taken when they came home.
PICT0162.JPG
 
Last edited:
Aww bless Joan, that's a fab picture, wow they are die hard fans of Halloween aren't they! Plenty of partying to do and don't even let babies get in the way either, love it! I'm sure he loved seeing you first, you'll always be special. ;)
 
Aww bless Joan, that's a fab picture, wow they are die hard fans of Halloween aren't they! Plenty of partying to do and don't even let babies get in the way either, love it! I'm sure he loved seeing you first, you'll always be special. ;)

Thank you, and yes they are die hard fans and they have the perfect excuse now for a party as well. Their place gets decorated with ghosts, cobwebs and spiders etc. The kids get dressed up and so do they, one year she dressed as Norman Bates's mother with a grey wig drawn back into a bun at the back. :roflmao:

Great picture Joan :thumbs:

A Guy
.

Thanks Bill, it's one of many.;)
 
Really, lol we've just started watching that Bates Motel on sky have you seen it?

Off to teach in a mo, another great night ahead of me I'm just hoping the weather stays dry....I don't do rain..snow...sleet..wind lol!
 
The drive to college was horrendous however the Chocolate Log we made was gorgeous and I've just devoured a BIG fat slice. :p
 
Really, lol we've just started watching that Bates Motel on sky have you seen it?

Off to teach in a mo, another great night ahead of me I'm just hoping the weather stays dry....I don't do rain..snow...sleet..wind lol!

No I haven't watched the new version I know it's supposed to be about how it all started. I just saw the original film, daughters costume was based on his mothers skeleton in the basement, she loves horror films and horror authors. ;)
 
It's quite good actually although we've only seen one episode so we shall have to wait and see. Lol!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top