What's new

pls help - scaling up baking *urgent!* x (1 Viewer)

i just did one bake - the cooking time is slightly off as well as cake was gooey in middle and cooked on edges.

also cake had SO many bubbles on top. when removing from oven - never had this issue before

Hi, mintysbakeguide welcome to the site. 👩‍🍳

The 200-gram recipe you are looking at splits into 2 x 20 cm round tins (8-inches); however, the size of each tin remains at 20 cm (even though they are shallow); therefore, you would use that as it would still be an 8-inch cake albeit deeper if you put all the ingredients in one tin and cut it in half. This can then be upscaled as needs be although further calculations and recipe adjustments may be needed depending on how deep or shallow you wish to make the larger cake.

The thing with Victoria sponge mix is to use equal parts butter, sugar and flour and then work out your eggs. So for every 50 grams of ingredients, I use one medium egg as that roughly equates to 50 grams.

For a 6 x 3-inch Victoria, I sometimes use a 150-gram mix of butter, sugar and flour and then 3 medium eggs, so if you're looking at a 12-inch you'll at least be looking at around a 300-gram mix or maybe a 350 mix.

If I'm making a Victoria Sandwich in sandwich tins, I use a higher temperature, but if I'm doing it in a deep tin, I use a lower temp for an even bake and bake it for longer.

However, if you're doing a thinner cake but a larger surface area, you may want to drop the temp, so it bakes slowly and evenly.

If your cake is baked on the outer and gooey in the middle, then your temp is too high.

To remove the bubbles from the mixture, either tap the tin on the side before it goes into the oven. (This will bring all the air bubbles to the top) or use a knife through your mixture in an s shape to pop them before transferring it to the tin.

I hope this helps. 😊

Please note that there are multiple ways of upscaling a cake depending on size, shape, depth and even portion sizes. However, the BBC Good Food has a sponge calculator, so you may be able to use that to check your scaling ingredients with the new tin sizes too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back