What's new

How to make easy Easter Chick Cupcake Toppers - 2D (1 Viewer)

As we're approaching Easter, I thought it would be a nice idea to put together a tutorial for you on how to make Easy Easter Chick Cupcake Toppers. There are two designs to choose from Daddy Chuck and Mummy Chic. Both are made the same way, and to differentiate between the two, I added a flower for Mummy Chic. So without further ado, let's get cracking! :hatchingchick:

How do I make an Easter Cupcake Topper?

To make the topper, you will need the following:

1 Easter chick Cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

Equipment/Ingredients
  • A Mat/Clean surface to Roll Out On
  • Icing Sugar/Cornflour (Confectioners sugar or Cornstarch US)
  • Small Rolling Pin
  • Circle Cutter/Pastry Cutter
  • Small Square/ Pointed Cutters
  • Small Flower Cutter
  • Black Pearls/Dragees (Optional)
  • White/Orange/Yellow Icing Fondant (Black Fondant - Optional if using Black Pearls)
  • A batch of pre-made Cupcakes
  • Jam or Buttercream for sticking the icing/fondant to the Cupcakes
  • Cooled Boiled Water & Paintbrush - For sticking icing/fondant pieces together.
  • Palette Knife or Knife for Cutting - Please be careful or get an adult to help you.
Method:

1. Lightly dust your mat/surface and roll out some yellow icing/fondant.

2 Easter Chick Cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

2. Using your circle cutter cut out a circle that's as big as your cupcake.

3 Easter Chick Cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

3. Lightly coat the top of your cupcake with either jam or buttercream and then place the yellow icing circle on the top and smooth over with your fingers.

4 Easter Chick Cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

4. Now repeat the process, rolling out white icing/fondant.

5 Easter chick Cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

5. Cut the white icing/fondant circle and leave it on your surface/mat.

7 Easter Chick Cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

6. Using a palette knife or knife of your choosing, cut the white circle just under halfway.

8 Easter Chick Cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

7. Now, use your star cutter to cut the 'shell'. If you don't have a star cutter, use the knife to cut small triangles out of the straight edge to form a shell crack design or turn the square cutter diagonally and use this to cut parts of the icing out.

9 Easter chick Cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

8. Important you will need the paintbrush and cooled water to stick the white piece of icing fondant to the yellow piece.

10 Easter Chick Cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

9. To make the tuft of hair and wings, pull small pieces of yellow icing fondant and roll them in between your thumb and fingers to make these shapes.

11 Easter chick cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

12 Easter Chick Cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

13 Easter Chick Cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

I lightly squeezed the three pieces together and pinched the end so they stuck together; I then used the heat from my hands to stick them to the chick's head. I repeated the process later to do the same for the wings. You can make three sets now if you like.

14 Easter chick Cupcake 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

I did the tuft for the head first to see where I needed to place the eyes.

10. To make the eyes, I rolled small balls of white icing and flattened them with my finger and thumb. I then stuck them to the chick using a little bit of water with the paintbrush.

15 Easter Chick cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

16 Easter Chick cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

11. I then used the black pearls and pushed them into the whites of the eyes. If you don't have black pearls/dragees. Roll small balls of black icing and stick them to the whites using water instead. I always have the eyes looking away to the side as it adds a little character to them.

16b Easter Chick cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

12. Roll a small piece of orange icing/fondant.

17 Easter chick cupcake by Help Me Bake.jpg

Push the square cutter into it, and then leave it on your surface/mat.

17b Easter chick Cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

Now 'size' the beak shape on the face of your cupcake to see if it's the correct size. If it's too big, cut it down with a knife; if it's okay, take it off the cupcake and place it back onto your mat/surface.

17C Easter chick Cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

Now score it with the palette knife being careful not to cut through it.

17D Easter Chick cupcake Topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

You can now stick it to the cupcake with a little water.

13. Now add the other yellow tufts for the wings, and there you have it, a completed Easter Chick Cupcake Topper.

The Chick Family by Help Me Bake (2) (Medium)-001.jpg

14. To make Mummy Chic, do all the above steps and then finally roll out a small piece of yellow icing/fondant and then cut out a flower using a push cutter. Stick this to the cupcake using a little water and insert a white pearl into the flower; if you don't have one, roll up a small ball of white icing and stick that inside it instead.

18 Easter chick Cupcake topper 2D by Help Me Bake.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back