What's new

Add Buttermilk to Victoria Sponge? (1 Viewer)

Janey

Hiya, Me again, been asked to make a 60th birthday cake, was wondering can I add buttermilk to a Victoria sponge cake recipe? Want it to be moist, I'm doing the 6x3 inch recipe, if you could let me know how much I would need to add?

Thank you xx

Hi Jane

Wow, you are a busy bee.

You could do that, but you may have to add baking powder/soda along with the milk to get the acid/alkali reaction. By adding the buttermilk, you’re adding flavour and moisture, but you’re messing with the scientific reaction when it hits the oven and starts making all the lovely air bubbles to rise.

Buttermilk is acidic, so it needs an alkali to fluff it up, so to speak. If you use it on its own, it dampens the rise of the cake because it’s not reacting with anything.

For moisture, you might be better off adding about 1½ to 2 tablespoons of milk or adding stock syrup to it when it comes out of the oven. The stock syrup absorbs into the cake and adds extra moisture to it when baked/prepped.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Angie x

Last edited:
Ahh didn't think about the stock syrup, I'll do that then, I'm so rubbish when it comes to knowing what ingredients I need and measurements lol, thank you again for all your help it's very much appreciated 😁 xx

You’re most welcome, honey, any time. 😊

By the way, you’re not rubbish at ingredients. You just need a little help tweaking recipes so that you can make your masterpieces. You’re very talented.

I look forward to seeing the final cake pic if you have the time.

Happy baking!

Angie x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back