What's new

Sticky Toffee Pudding - Student Cakes (1 Viewer)

So this weeks lesson was all about Sticky Toffee Pudding and a Cake Demonstration, what we got in fact was a totally different story!

Linda decided in her wisdom to get ahead of herself and set off for College early and by doing so decided to detour to Country Baskets along the way. What she didn't bank on was locking her keys in the vehicle along with the lessons Sticky Toffee Pudding ingredients!....(Drama One). :scream:

When she phoned me, I was en-route to college being chauffeur driven by my Dad (there was a reason for this, but that's a whole other story). As she phoned me to tell me the news, I agreed to send my Dad to assist her and I would begin the evening's lesson. Basically, we would reverse the lesson; I would do my Cake demo first and then she would arrive later (hopefully) and then do her demo, well that was the plan anyway.

Whilst waiting for everyone to arrive I proceeded to unpack my ingredients, which is when I discovered I didn’t have any jam, (dun dun duuuunnnn added for extra drama :p) not to worry you might think….wrong. The jam was being used as an adhesive to stick my icing to my pre-made sponge; without it, I cannot do my demo. So drama one followed by drama two….now to think on my feet! :eyeroll:

After everyone had arrived, I explained the situation to the ladies, and we agreed that in order to get some kind of lesson, they would work through the booklet method unaided and without a demo. I should assist them visually and vocally. I indicated this would be a great way of trying things out for themselves and would confirm if the baking program we use offered a step by step guide without any assistance. The ladies got to work, and I fired up the ovens and then put all the water on the boil for when it was needed.

I then rang Linda to check on the progress, and she advised they were resorting to skewers and other means to try and get her back into the vehicle! This is when I decided I now need to go on the hunt for any form of adhesive or jam I can find to stick my cake together!

Luckily after a lot of hunting, I managed to find some little jam pots that I could use to stick my cake, but by this point, the ladies were halfway through the sticky toffee pudding method and now looking for the hot water. This is when Linda arrives to save the day and is now ready to do her demo, unfortunately for me, I’ve now got three ladies in the kitchen who aren’t going anywhere without the hot water, and Linda’s trying to encourage them to watch the demo. Linda then returns to the other room to begin her demo, and we’re at a stand-off in the kitchen to which I concede. After tonight’s events, all bets are off, and I know the ladies mean business, so without further ado, I measure out the water and pass it over. My only words are to walk slowly so as not scald themselves with it!

I then return to the room whereby Linda is now filling them in on tonight’s fiasco and how she has now promised my dad a Sticky Toffee Pudding for all his hard-earned efforts. She did offer him kisses but wasn’t sure if my Mum would be too impressed by that!

Now the ladies are ready to place the cakes in the oven and are ready for my cake demo. I explain that there are a few imperfections, advise how to work around them and proceeded to go through the way of level, filling and covering the cake.

However, once the cake was covered one of the ladies jokingly asked if I was actually doing anything with the cake to which I replied no, she then said it doesn’t matter I’ll just buy one…..No, no, no, noooo. I replied. To cut a long story short, it was the ladies daughter’s birthday the following day, and after a hectic week, she had not had time to make one. This is when we threw together the ‘Poppy’ cake.

I was originally going to make a Christening cake with the sleeping baby and pipe around the edges, but no, we cannot have a child without home-made cake on her birthday. So with a dash of jam, some extra double cream from Linda, pink royal icing and a few flowers we managed to throw together a freshly made birthday cake for a little girl who was having a little get together with friends.

So all’s well that ends well, hey!

I love our lessons, there's never a dull moment, and we always manage to pull something good out of any dilemma.

Here are the Sticky Toffee Puddings that I did manage to get a pic of and the throw together a cake for Poppy.

Linda:

Linda1.jpg

Jill:

Jill1.jpg

Cheryl:

Cheryl1.jpg

Jean:

Jean1.jpg

Angie:

Sticky Toffee Pud1.jpg

Poppy Cake1.jpg

Remember to tune in next week with Linda and Angie for more Baking Drama's!

Last edited:
:doh: Angie what a night, it turned out brilliant though by the look of things, well done to you all. I shall look forward to the next episode of Angie's Bake Off with great delight. :p:roflmao:

Yes Bill...it is the strange adventure that is my life and yes Joan tune in next week for more fun and dilemmas.

:thumbs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back