What's new

Pastry Week - Worsley College - Student Bakes (1 Viewer)

Yeah! Pastry week this week, my absolute favourite! Last night's lesson was great fun, and we made lots of savoury and sweet goodies!

Linda did her demo on hot water crust pastry, and I did a mini demo on the cheese whirls and jam turnovers. Sue brought in her alternative cheese filling which we've now dubbed the 'Selia' recipe that's because it's part Sue and part Delia hence Selia! I must admit I was salivating at last night's lesson as I love love love pastry, plus I was starving because I was late out and didn't manage to grab any tea before the lesson started so the smells of the food we're sending me over the edge!

Cath was back this week and made sausage rolls and Eccles cakes; the sausage rolls were shall we say a touch crisp rather than flaky, but the Eccles cakes looked scrumptious. Unfortunately, the sausage rolls became crispy after we became so engrossed in the lesson we forgot about them in the oven and didn't move shelves in time! :scream: Sue was back too and prepping with such precision that I think she would have given Paul Hollywood a run for his money. :wink: However, her whisking of extra thick double cream didn't exactly end up where it should of not only did she manage to shower my turnovers with it she managed to flick in halfway down my leg from across the table, no idea how she managed it but needless to say we had a giggle about it and carried on! :p

Shirley was our chief savoury tester and sampled some of the baked goodies just to ensure they were done to perfection. I thought that this testing was a great idea and joined her in trying Sue's cheese whirls....we were not disappointed they were divine! Towards the end of the lesson we turned into the Scooby-Doo gang as we had a mystery to solve......the mystery of the vanishing pies...one minute they were there the next they had disappeared into thin air....after looking around the rooms, in the ovens and on the sides there was still no sign, so again we hunted high and low we still couldn't find them, things were looking bleak, so much so we all agreed that we would donate sweet and savoury bakes to Jill just so she wouldn't go home empty-handed. Finally, after another look and lots of to-ing and fro-ing, we finally found them on the top shelf! Mystery solved!

:thumbs:

I am PLEASED to report that I have finally managed to get a pic of the ladies including the lovely Linda...unfortunately Michelle is missing from this pic, so hopefully, I'll be able to grab some more piccies before the lessons finish!

Here are my lovely ladies and last nights goodies, here's hoping this pic the start of many!:D

Festive Bake and Cake Creations.JPG

Shirley, Cheryl, Jill, Linda, Sue, Cath, Sharon & Jean.

Linda:
Linda10.jpg

IMG_3526.JPG

Water crust pies and fruit turnovers.

Angie:
Ang.jpg

Ang1.jpg

Cheesy whirls and jam turnovers.

Cath:
Cath2.jpg

Cath.jpg

Cath did allow me to take pics of the sausage rolls and agreed I could post it to my site. She allowed me to do this so that we could show that baking doesn't always go to plan; hence the very crisp sausage rolls.

Sue:

Sue1.jpg

These are the 'Selia' cheese rolls.

Sharon:

Sharon10.jpg

Sausage rolls.

Cheryl:

Cheryl10.jpg

Sausage rolls and baked flaky pastry ready for vanilla slices.

Jill:

Jill10.jpg

Shortcrust pies and a mix bag of everybody's donations.

Only 2 lessons left now!

Last edited:
It's always interesting to hear your in-depth description of our lessons, Angie. I had a little taste of Cheryl's pork pie which was delicious (and very brave of me being an ex-veggie, who still 'doesn't eat pork' - until last night, lol It would have been very rude to refuse :D. Cath gave me a couple of her Eccles cakes to take home and they were gorgeous; certainly the best Eccles cakes I've ever tasted. There were thumbs up at home with my cheese rolls too and they were very tasty. Can't really take the credit it though so thanks goes to Delia for a great recipe. Apologies again for flicking my cream around last night and that you got caught up in the crossfire. Hope I'm forgiven by next week :wink:. Lovely group picture of us all but a pity Michelle isn't on it. Perhaps we'll all be there next week and you can have another go.

You certainly have a knack for descriptive writing Angie. You should try writing a book :wink:

Those were just Creole sausage rolls (blackened) :D

A Guy

It's always interesting to hear your in-depth description of our lessons, Angie. I had a little taste of Cheryl's pork pie which was delicious (and very brave of me being an ex-veggie, who still 'doesn't eat pork' - until last night, lol It would have been very rude to refuse :D. Cath gave me a couple of her Eccles cakes to take home and they were gorgeous; certainly the best Eccles cakes I've ever tasted. There were thumbs up at home with my cheese rolls too and they were very tasty. Can't really take the credit it though so thanks goes to Delia for a great recipe. Apologies again for flicking my cream around last night and that you got caught up in the crossfire. Hope I'm forgiven by next week :wink:. Lovely group picture of us all but a pity Michelle isn't on it. Perhaps we'll all be there next week and you can have another go.

Thanks, Sue, ooh I missed that taste testing when did that happen. :unsure: Well done you that's very brave. I'm just glad you liked it! :p As for the Eccles cakes I mentioned to my Dad that Cath had made some, so he was a little disappointed that I didn't have any because apparently, they are his favourite. I forgot to mention in the write up about Linda chastising me for buying pre-diced onions then pinching the rest of my packet for her pies. LOL!

I think your spin on Delia's recipe was fab and you should take credit for it, they were delicious. As for the cream well, that was just funny, pure and simple! The dramas add to the lesson and give me something extra to write about! :D

You certainly have a knack for descriptive writing Angie. You should try writing a book :wink:

Those were just Creole sausage rolls (blackened) :D

A Guy

Thanks, Bill, I like writing about the lesson because it gives a true representation of what goes on. Maybe if I have the request for a book I may consider it.

...The book I did write: 99 Baking and Decorating Tips by Angie Fairbrother - Amazon

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back