What's new

Looking for a special dough or pastry recipe (1 Viewer)

apollodancer

Hey there everyone,

Im looking for a recipe i seen a friend make, i don t have contact with this friend anymore unfortunately.

The recipe was like a pastry dough, cut into triangles and then when it baked it had layers, pastry or dough on the outside and like a custard filling on the inside, this happened during the baking process and nothing was added like custard or anything. This friend was American so not sure if its a recipe from there? Any help would be great

Hi apollodancer

Welcome to the site. :plead:

After looking at the description, you've given, the only things that come to mind on shape and filling are either Hamentashen or Trigona Panoramantos (Greek Phyllo Cones).

Hamantaschen (Medium).jpg

Phyllo Triangles (Medium).jpeg

With you mentioning layers, it sounds more like filo pastry that your friend was using, as this would give you multiple layers when baked.

Does any of this look/sound familiar to you?

Hey Angie, thank you for the reply. I think i have described it properly which is why i might not be able to find it haha

So when he made the dough or pastry, it was made as the one thing, then when it was baked it would separate and have custard kind of filling on the inside with out adding it him self, it had layers automatically if that makes more sense?

You're most welcome apollodancer. :plead:

I'm all about finding things so let's not give up just yet and see if we can narrow anything down.

Do you know if it was an actual American recipe? I've been looking at french pastries because they do lots of fantastic delicate items, so we could check out that route. I have also had a quick flick through an American Recipe Book I have, but there's nothing in there.

Do you have any pictures of the desserts, or could you find anything similar on the internet that we could have a look at which may be able to give us some more ideas?

I get what you mean by the special dough now, as it seems to be all incorporated together, so I'd like to do a little more digging to see what I find if you can give me as much info as you can possibly think of.

Do you know any of the ingredients or how long it was baked for, or how it was baked?

I really would like to reunite you with your dough so let's see what we can come up with.

COOK THE DOUGH FIRST​

Choux pastry or pâte à choux, is very unique in that for perfect results, it requires the dough to be cooked first! This unique step results in a really sturdy pastry shell that also has a custard-like texture on the inside.

Sounds like your recipe is made so the dough inside has a custard like consistency, rather than an actual filling, hard to find

But the result? A small treat with a deeply caramelized shell and a soft, custard-like interior

A Guy

@A Guy I discounted Choux Pastry because it doesn't have the number of layers that puff and filo have when baked. However, I do like your Canélé find.

I have since been looking at every triangular and pastry dessert known to man ranging from a Briouat to Sfogliatelle (yes, it is a word).🤣

I still haven't got as near to the 'egg buttery custard interior' like you, but I'm still happy to scour the internet to see what I can find.

I have discounted the mille-feuille, and filo parcels. However, after re-reading apollodancer's description, I wonder if the original baker made the pastry but brushed it with something beforehand, so when baked, it became the filling.

When making your own puff pastry, you add butter to the layers, so I'm wondering if it was something that used a technique like this to add the filling, so to speak, prior to the bake. 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back