What's new

Our Trip to the Cake and Bake Show Manchester - 12th 2015 (1 Viewer)

So Jules and I had a lovely time at the Cake and Bake Show, it was smaller than last year and was being held along with the Ideal home show at Event City near the Trafford Centre. Barring the fact it took me absolutely ages to get there (the traffic was horrendous), we still managed to make the opening albeit some 20 minutes late. :eyeroll:

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (2).jpg

When we walked in the first thing Jules, and I saw was the Gruffalo storytelling area, so of course we stepped up and had a picture on the big chair! Thank you to the nice lady hostess who took our picture for us! :D

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (3).jpg

We then noticed the array of fabulous cakes on display, so we headed over to have a closer look.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (5).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (4).jpg

These are the professionals showing off their talents, and I must admit some of these cakes are absolutely stunning. Jules is more into these type of designs, whereas I like the fun stuff!

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (6).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (7).jpg

This is the official Cake and Bake Show Cake that has been made for the event, I had to take a close up as there is so much detail on it.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (9).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (8).jpg

Last edited:
These are more up my street, bright, colourful and lots of fun, there was so much detail on this cake I had to take pictures of all three sides so you can see all the characters and novelty bits they have included, they have even made the Zoltar Fortune Telling machine from the film Big starring Tom Hanks. It's in picture three underneath the bearded lady. This cake also includes Dumbo, Mowgli, Lilo, Dora and many many more. I've had Han sat with me telling me all the characters from each of the cakes.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (12).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (11).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (20).jpg

This cake is spectacular, they have made all the Disney Princesses into superheroes! There is that much going on that you may miss the fact that they have even painted words and book titles on the books at the base of the cake.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (14).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (13).jpg

Now that is attention to detail!

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015 (36).jpg

I love this kind of cake, they are great fun, and you know if you rocked up to a birthday party with one of these bad boys in your hand you would be totally EPIC! :wink:

Last edited:
This table is one of my favourites, I love the simplicity of the cakes but know how much impact the cakes would have at a chosen event, everybody would be talking about them and enjoying the fun factor!

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (16).jpg

These next batch of cakes have had a lot of time and effort placed into them....I wonder if you can guess which is my favourite?

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (17).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (18).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (19).jpg

Now we move onto some of the stalls and the products they had to offer.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (22).jpg

Believe it or not, these butterflies are actually edible and were hand made with the Cake Lace products and mats.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (23).jpg

These are the best chocolate shoes I have ever seen; this stall was called Azra. I'm not sure whether I would want to eat it the shoes as they look far too good to eat.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (24).jpg

Last edited:
It was now time for our lesson, so we headed over to the classroom to attend Jo Wheatley's class, she was showing us how to make her Christmas Pudding and a Bundt Cake. She's an amusing lady, down to earth and was very happy to answer questions and have a laugh along the way; she even told us she has 38 bundt tins at home and is one of Amazon's best customers. :D

Here's Jo in action and the goodies she created...

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (73).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (75).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (76)-001.jpg

It was a lovely informative lesson, we learned a few things, and then we had the pleasure of speaking and having a photo with Jo at the end.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (77).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (78).jpg

Thanks, Jo, for taking time out of your busy schedule to spend time with us.

Last edited:
Loving the ones you've posted so far, there are some gorgeous looking creations and I'm drooling. :homer_drooling:

Thanks, Joan, they are good, aren't they?

These were some of the competition entries...

Here are two classics from my childhood. The Goonies, which is one of my favourite films and of course the Mr Men, I loved those books when I was a kid.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (25).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (26) Mr Men.jpg

This Arthur cake is fabulous. Hannah went through some of the cakes and told me what they were lol! Although I had to tell her about The Never Ending Story, it's on Sky at the moment, so I think we shall watch the film!

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (28) Arthur.jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (29).jpg

This jungle book cake is lovely, many of the cakes on the show were made by non-professionals who are obviously very talented.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (27).jpg

Here is a near 6 tier character cake alongside Stitch from Lilo and Stitch with Elvis thrown in for good measure. I'm sure there is a reason that Elvis was incorporated in this cake, but I'm not sure why! Maybe it's the beach Hawaiian theme. *

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (32).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (31) Lilo and Stitch.jpg

*Jen Callen has contacted us to say that she made the lovely Lilo and Stitch Hawaiian themed cake containing Elvis, she has also confirmed that Elvis was loved by the Hawaiians hence the reason he was included in her design. See I told you there would be a reason! :D

Here are Snow White and the Seven Dwarves made of cake.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (35) Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.jpg

Here are some Peter Rabbit and Beatrix Potter cakes.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (38).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (44).jpg

This was the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe cake on display, it was actually on a turntable and rotated around. I took a video of it, so when it's finished processing on youtube, I'll put it on. 🤓

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (30).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (33).jpg

I probably should have tried to get the video in order, e.g. the Lion then the witch then the wardrobe but it was hard enough trying to get still photo's let alone a perfect vid. :wink: I thought it would be good to show it in motion as somebody has taken the trouble to make a moving presentation, so it's only fair we do it justice. I'm just sorry I didn't get the name of the person who made it.

Here's the cake in motion.....well it was until by video broke. 🤨

Last edited:
Here are some of the multi-tier cakes that were at the show; these were part of the competitions displays.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (34) Alice in Wonderland.jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (36).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (39).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (40).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (47).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (48).jpg

These are the Alice in Wonderland cupcakes, and Han informs me the witch one is called Room on the Broom! :D

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (41).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (42) Room on the Broom.jpg

I love the three little pigs cake, and I do like the penguin one on the left; however, I'm not sure which story it relates too.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (43).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (45).jpg

These were some of the Children's entries; I really love the minion.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (57).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (52).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (58) Sleeping Beauty.jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (59) James and the Giant Peach.jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (70).jpg

Last edited:
These are some more Cake and Bake competition entries.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (50).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (53).jpg

I really like this cake, especially the Oompa lumpa! :D

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (55).jpg

These are a few more child entries one for the Gruffalo which is a fantastic book and of course the sheep which are so cute. I really love fun cakes with characters!

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (56).jpg
Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (54).jpg

Here's a cake with a message "There is no app to replace your lap, read to your child!" the cake reminds me of Han and I reading her Little Stars book. It's 500 pages long, and we're only 100 pages in!

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (60).jpg

Then we moved onto the baking submissions; I had to remind myself they were entries; otherwise, I may have been very tempted to have a taste test. :p

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (62).jpg

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (63).jpg
Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (64).jpg
Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (67).jpg
Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (66).jpg
Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (69).jpg

I love creative baking like these, especially the Poppy Seed Stollen as a nod to Remembrance Day.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (68).jpg

This gingerbread house is fab; I wanted to take a chunk off and eat it.

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (65).jpg

Last edited:
Oh I love it, all the cakes are glorious examples of cake making and you did OK with the video, it showed just what the cake was. There's a serious lot of talent on show. :D

I know they are very good, we had to laugh though as at the end of the competition tables there were pots of jam and kitchen roll which were apparently free. As soon as people knew that there was like a stampede to grab some, me and Jules didn't get any though because there wasn't a sign saying please take one or help yourself to the freebies. All you you could see was a mass of hands grabbing at the table so we swiftly moved out of the way.

Thankyou for taking a picture of my cake! :D I just came across it whilst looking at cake and bake pictures. Mine is the Lilo and Stitch one, I thought id tell you why Elvis was featured. Lilo and Stitch is my favourite movie, and they go on an adventure to be Good and a model citizen like Elvis as he was loved by Hawaiians, Stitch dresses as Elvis at one point (super adorable) and some of Elvis songs were featured. The picture that is featured is Elvis in Hawaii and is also carried around by Lilo in the film! :D

Lilo and Stitch (best scene) - YouTube

Cake and Bake Show Manchester 2015  (31) Lilo and Stitch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jen, you're most welcome, thank you for popping by and telling us the history regarding your adorable cake. I did wonder why Elvis was featured and it was obviously a talking point between myself and my friend on the day. My daughter thought your cake was fabulous. I have to confess I have never seen the movie nor did I know the Hawaiians loved Elvis. Congratulations on having your cake featured and thank you for teaching me something new, it's lovely to hear from you.

Kind Regards

Angie :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back