What's new

New here... Hello from Worcestershire, UK (1 Viewer)

clerahi

Hi everyone,

Just joined the community, my name is Mike, I'm 59 and live in Worcestershire, UK. I'm a reasonable home cook in every area except baking and pastry, where I'm a complete beginner. In fact I wouldn't say I'm even that... The most I've done is gingerbread men at Christmas, a complete failure of a yule log (much to the amusement of my wife, who'd bought one just in case) and (last week) a Victoria sponge.

I'd love to be able to bake for the family, I've been looking round for a beginner friendly forum that will tolerate lots of "so how do you that?" posts and a few "Err so what went wrong here then?" ones too.

My goal is to bake a dream birthday cake for our granddaughter's 5th birthday in May... Beyond that I'm keen to learn how to bake just about everything.

Looking forward to being a part of the community.

Hi Mike

Welcome to the site. 😊

I totally hear you; I started out much the same; I wanted to make cakes for my daughter, so I decided to learn what I could about baking and decorating. Since then, I've made cakes for her every year, got a teaching qualification, taught my own classes and workshops, and ran the forum. I don't know everything, but I'm happy to help with your baking journey wherever I can.

The best thing to start with would be a Victoria Sponge, and I have a step by step tutorial on the site to help you out.

It's fabulous that you are attempting baking as and when you can, and I commend you for sticking with it. Hopefully, with a little help, you'll be delighting your wife with lots of new baked and decorated treats in no time, and I'm sure you can definitely sort something out for your granddaughter. Just let me know what you are thinking of making her or post and pic, and I'll see what I can do to help.

Best wishes

Angie 👩‍🍳

Thanks Angie,

Here is the Victoria sponge i did...

IMG_20210313_163421_928.jpg

IMG_20210313_163421_954.jpg

Okay, so you're good with the Victoria sponge; that looks lovely, 😊 so what do you want to bake next? There are different things in the recipes and tutorials section of the site to help you out or give you some ideas.

I'm currently just about to put a post out on Easter Chick Cupcake Toppers so that may be something you could have a go at or try out with your granddaughter at some point.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site Mike, that Victoria Sandwich looks yummy so you have no problems with those. I'm sure you'll find lots of inspiration here for whatever you want to bake. There are some great tutorials that you can follow to help you.
Enjoy your time here. :)

Welcome to the site Mike, that Victoria Sandwich looks yummy so you have no problems with those. I'm sure you'll find lots of inspiration here for whatever you want to bake. There are some great tutorials that you can follow to help you.
Enjoy your time here. :)
Thanks Joan, I'm glad I found this site, I've already found lots of useful stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back