What's new

What went wrong here..? Christmas Yule Log (1 Viewer)

clerahi

This photo was my attempt at making a Christmas Yule Log last Christmas 🤣😕🤣🤔. Such a disaster that it put me off trying any baking again for a while. Any thoughts about what went wrong (or should I say what I did wrong)?

IMG_20201223_110022.jpg

Solution
Aww bless you, at least you can see the funny side. 😂

Large air pockets are usually down to mixing your ingredients, as in over beating or having too much leavening agent in the mix.

When mixing wet and dry ingredients together, just do it enough until they have combined, once they have stop whisking/beating.

To get rid of any air pockets trapped in your batter, hold the tin in both hands and tap it on the work surface; this forces any trapped air to rise to the top and pop before baking. You can also run a knife through the batter in the mixing bowl in an 'S' shape formation to pop any large bubbles before pouring in your tin.

Check the ingredients you are using with a similar recipe to ensure you have used the correct amounts...
Aww bless you, at least you can see the funny side. 😂

Large air pockets are usually down to mixing your ingredients, as in over beating or having too much leavening agent in the mix.

When mixing wet and dry ingredients together, just do it enough until they have combined, once they have stop whisking/beating.

To get rid of any air pockets trapped in your batter, hold the tin in both hands and tap it on the work surface; this forces any trapped air to rise to the top and pop before baking. You can also run a knife through the batter in the mixing bowl in an 'S' shape formation to pop any large bubbles before pouring in your tin.

Check the ingredients you are using with a similar recipe to ensure you have used the correct amounts.

Always use either all grams or all ounces in your mixture; never mix the two.

I have also known people to use tablespoons instead of teaspoons, measured by eyes alone etc., so please be careful and ensure you use correct quantities.

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks Angie, I followed the recipe and measures etc to the letter, so it was probably over beating, well over mixing, I used an electric hand whisk as that's all I had at the time.

If you do the all in one method (put it all in one bowl and then mix all the ingredients together), I'd say mix the batter for about a minute and then taste test your mix with a small spoon. (i.e. dip it in the mix and taste it) if it tastes powdery, whisk for a little longer. If it tastes smooth, it's good to go. (Always use a clean spoon each time you taste test, so you're not double-dipping). 👩‍🍳

If you do the creaming method, i.e. mix the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and then the flour; once you've added the flour, lightly fold in with a spatula to incorporate the flour and then whisk for about 30 seconds, do the same taste test with a clean teaspoon and test the mix, if powdery mix a little more, if smooth it's good to go in the oven.

This will help you stop over beating any mixes.

If you do the creaming method, i.e. mix the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and then the flour; once you've added the flour, lightly fold in with a spatula to incorporate the flour and then whisk for about 30 seconds, do the same taste test with a clean teaspoon and test the mix, if powdery mix a little more, if smooth it's good to go in the oven.

This will help you stop over beating any mixes.
It was the creaming method (now I know what that is 😊). Thanks for the tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back