What's new

Artisan's Choice Plain Crème Cake Mix Review (1 Viewer)

So I'm back trying more of the Artisan's Choice Products, only this time we're reviewing the Plain Crème Cake Mix. According to the website, you can make a whole host of items with this product, including puddings, cakes, muffins, tray bakes, and more, so with a variety of options in mind, I opted for muffins and cupcakes.

Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake Cover.jpg

As you know, I'm very thorough in product testing so let's run down our usual info of things you need to know.

Packaging

The product arrived in a large brown paper bag that was silver lined on the inside, keeping the plain crème mix dry.​

1 Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

The packaging was very sturdy and did not tear.​

4 Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

Labelling

The label displays all the relevant information required, such as:​
  • Ingredients
  • Allergy Advice
  • Storage Information
  • Method
  • Item Code
  • Weight
There is also an additional sticker that advises the Batch Code and Best Before Date.​

5 Plain Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

Allergy Advice

This is shown in bold on the label. The allergens contained in this mix are:​
  • Wheat
  • Milk
  • Egg

Storage & Weight

• The packaging advises storing the crème cake mix in a cool, dry place.
  • The weight of the plain crème cake mix bag is 2.5kg.

Best Before Date

This product has a minimum 3-6 month shelf life; however, this may extend depending on when the product was manufactured and transported.​

Method Instructions

Displayed on the front of the packaging is the method/instructions explaining how to use the plain crème cake mix. It also advises what additional ingredients you will need to add to the mix.​

Additional Ingredients

For every 1kg of Plain Crème Cake Mix, you will also require the following ingredients.​
  • 350 Grams - Whole Eggs
  • 300 Grams - Vegetable Oil
  • 225 Grams - Water
2 Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

Please note that all the additional ingredients need to be weighed, that includes the whole eggs.

Tip - Medium eggs weigh around 50 grams each, so this should help you calculate how many you will need for your batch.

Requirements

You will need a Stand Mixer to use this product.​
Stand Mixer (Medium).jpg

Quantities:

How many muffins will it make?

This will depend on how much mixture you use and how much weight you put in the cases. However, as a rough guide, see below.​
  • Using 500 grams of the crème cake mix and halving all the additional ingredients listed above, you will get approximately 9-10 muffins.
  • To make the muffins even, I used two, level ice cream scoops for each tulip case.
  • The full 2.5kg bag of cake mixture will make approximately 50 muffins.

Plain Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake 4 (Medium).jpg Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake 1a.jpg

How many cupcakes will it make?

This will depend on how big of a batch you make; however, for a rough estimate, please see below.​
  • Again, I used a 500-gram mix and half of all the additional ingredients listed above; you will get approximately 18-22 cupcakes from this.
  • To make the cupcakes the same size, I used one level ice cream scoop per cupcake case.
  • The 2.5kg bag will make approximately 100+ regular cupcakes.

3 Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake (Medium).jpg

Baking Times and Temperatures

Muffins - Baking at 190°C
  • I baked all the muffins for 23 minutes.
  • They were baked in the middle of the oven.
  • I have a fan assisted oven, so as a guide, bake the muffins anywhere between 20 -25 minutes.
Cupcakes - Baking at 180°C
  • I baked the one-scoop cupcakes for 15 minutes. (Again, use your own judgement, a few minutes on either side of this time is fine).
  • These were also baked on the middle shelf of the oven.
  • A few of the cupcakes domed, but these were the ones with a little extra mix.

Texture/Taste

The texture of the cupcakes/muffins was soft, light and airy.​
Plain Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake 5 (Medium).jpg Plain Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake 6 (Medium).jpg
As the name suggests, the mix is plain; therefore, it's great as a base cake and easy to incorporate any fillings, toppings or drizzles of your choice.​

Fillings/Toppings/Decorations

With any of the desserts you decide to make, you can fill them, decorate them and drizzle them to your heart's content, so here are few ideas for you.

• Fillings: Add jam, lemon curd, caramel, chocolate etc.
  • Toppings: Decorate with buttercream, frostings, sprinkles, sweets, fruits etc.

Examples: See Below

Scoop a little cupcake out with a melon baller, add some jam in the centre, place the scooped out cupcake back in the centre and top with buttercream and drizzle with strawberry sauce.

Plain Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake 1 (Medium).jpg Plain Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake 1c (Medium).jpg Plain Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake 2 (Medium).jpg

With one batch of the plain crème cake mix and a couple of different cupcake cases, here are just a few of the designs I came up with.

Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake (Medium) - Copy-001.jpg
Lemon Lux

Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake 1 (Medium).jpg
Caramel Ruffle.

Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake 1d.jpg
Sweet Wonder.

Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake 1b.jpg
Strawberry Surprise

Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake 1c.jpg
Citrus Whirl

All these different designs from just one batch.

Plain Creme Cake Mix Review by Help Me Bake 7 (Medium).jpg

We did have more, but we ate them!

Findings

• Quick and easy to use.
  • Makes a large number of cupcakes.
  • A versatile product that can be made into a range of desserts.
  • Great for kids parties.
  • Good for coffee mornings.

Buy from

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back