What's new

Madeira cake and Swiss meringue buttercream (1 Viewer)

Rachael

Hi all just wondering if this makes a good combination? I’m thinking of a vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream as it balance out density of the Madeira. Also need quantity of buttercream for a 2 layer 6 x3 cake.

Thanks

Hi Rachael, thanks for the post.

Yes, I agree that the pairing of Swiss meringue buttercream will go nicely with the Madeira as the buttercream will be light and airy against the much denser style cake. However, I don't currently have a Swiss buttercream recipe to hand, however, there are lots of videos and recipes on the internet.

Sally's Baking Addiction has one and she has comments underneath the recipe so she could advise you on precise quantities of how much you would need for the cakes you are making.

Hope this helps and good luck with the cakes.

Also forgot to mention the cake recipe came out perfect for me! If I were to do a Victoria sponge of the same size would it be the same amount of flour, butter and sugar as opposed to the extra 50g of flour the Madeira?

Also forgot to mention the cake recipe came out perfect for me! If I were to do a Victoria sponge of the same size would it be the same amount of flour, butter and sugar as opposed to the extra 50g of flour the Madeira?

Hi @Rachael

Whenever I make a Victoria Sandwich or Victoria Cake, I always use equal parts of flour, butter, and sugar and then apportion the eggs accordingly, so for every 50 grams of flour, butter and sugar, I use 1 medium egg.

When I make a 6 x 3 Victoria sponge in my tin, I tend to use 150 grams of butter, sugar, self flour and 3 medium eggs. However, if I want the cake to be a good height, I increase the batch to the 7 x 3 recipe and then fill my 6 x 3 tin to where I want it and then make cupcakes with the leftover batter.

I bake the cake for approximately for approx 45 - 50 mins on 150°C and then check it with a skewer, depending on which recipe and amount of batter you use, the cake may take a little longer to bake.

Hope this helps.

One of my other members made the following Victoria Sponges using 6 x 3 tins but gaining the height she wanted with the 7 x 3 recipe. Here's what she made and the size/height of the cakes so you can see what I mean.

Last edited:
Hi @Rachael

Whenever I make a Victoria Sandwich or Victoria Cake, I always use equal parts of flour, butter, and sugar and then apportion the eggs accordingly, so for every 50 grams of flour, butter and sugar, I use 1 medium egg.

When I make a 6 x 3 Victoria sponge in my tin, I tend to use 150 grams of butter, sugar, self flour and 3 medium eggs. However, if I want the cake to be a good height, I increase the batch to the 7 x 3 recipe and then fill my 6 x 3 tin to where I want it and then make cupcakes with the leftover batter.

I bake the cake for approximately for approx 45 - 50 mins on 150°C and then check it with a skewer, depending on which recipe and amount of batter you use, the cake may take a little longer to bake.

Hope this helps.

One of my other members made the following Victoria Sponges using 6 x 3 tins but gaining the height she wanted with the 7 x 3 recipe. Here's what she made and the size/height of the cakes so you can see what I mean.

Thank you

@Rachael Excellent, yeah, please let me know how you get on. Here is a quick tip to help you get a more even cake rise when using a larger quantity in the tin if you need it.

I'm glad the Swiss meringue went down really well with the Madeira, and if you're happy to share a tried and tested recipe with us then please do so. If it's a family secret, though, then you're good to keep it to yourself. (lol) :wink:

I look forward to hearing how you get on with 200g Victoria Recipe.

Keep us posted. 🧑‍🍳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back