What's new

Help with Birthday Cake Madeira Recipe, please (1 Viewer)

EC46

Hi, my daughter has requested a 3d shaped cat birthday cake that has either chocolate chips or Oreos in it. I normally use this vanilla recipe baked in a 7" diameter and 3" deep tin and baked at 140C for 1h 40 mins. It always turns out well.

• 200g self raising flour
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 200g Stork/butter
  • 50g plain flour
  • 4 medium eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
I'm concerned that due to the long baking time that the chocolate chips/oreos will sink to the bottom of the cake. Has anyone had success with chocolate chips/oreos in madeira? Tips/advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Hi EC46, welcome to the site. 😊

I'm just running a few errands at the moment so as soon as I'm back at my desk I'll reply to your post properly.

Best wishes

Angie

Hi EC46

I'm back now and have my glasses on so I can actually see what I'm posting. 🤓

Regarding your concerns, yes, there is a possibility that anything that you put in a cake will sink; however, with Madeira being a much denser cake, it should hold the chocolate chips in place with them being relatively light/small.

The biscuits, on the other hand, may cause you issues depending on the chunk sizes you use; however, you could blitz them in a food processor to make the pieces smaller and mix them into your batter, which would then still give you the taste of the Oreos throughout the cake.

Another option is to make your tried and tested cake and then incorporate Chocolate Chips or Oreos into any buttercream or frosting you may be using.

I lightly coat cherries in flour before baking them in a cake to stop them from sinking, so you may want to lightly coat the chocolate chips in flour before you put them in the batter, which should help prevent sinkage.

My best advice to you though is to make a test cake beforehand so you know exactly how the cake will turn out.

I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back