What's new

Cosmetic Cupcake Class Student Creations (1 Viewer)

1 Gail - Cosmetic.jpg
Here is a write-up and pictures of the Cosmetic Cupcake Workshop and the Student Creations.

Cosmetic Make Up Cupcakes.jpg

Happy New Year! Well, it was for us as this is the first workshop we have run since Christmas! It was great to be back again teaching, seeing our regular faces and a few new ones too. :D

The first to arrive was Frances and her sister, Frances has been previously and attended the baking workshops last year. This year, however, she is trying out our cupcake workshops and brought her sister along too. I was setting the room up when they arrived, and we got talking about baking and a few issues they had been having. I ran through a few scenarios, and we had a bit of a question and answer session, and I then gave them a few handy hints, soon after the remainder of the ladies started to venture in. What I hadn't realised is that I was now ten minutes behind schedule and now I am scrambling to put the remainder of the tools and equipment out. :p I needn't worry, though as all the girls like to chip in and are really great at helping me out.

I did have a little panic at the beginning of the lesson though as the last three ladies to filter in were Angela, Danielle and Caroline. Now the last time they came on the course, they all had their hair down so when they came this time it took me a few seconds to recognise them. In that split second, I thought they were three ladies who had just turned up, and I didn't have any cupcakes for....phew panic over start the lesson! :wink:

I was just about to start the lesson when Danielle advised me that she didn't have any jam so once that was sorted, I invited the girls round to my station where the demos would commence. It was a freezing evening on Monday, so the room felt a little cold, however, after a while, we didn't seem to notice any more, and once the concentration and laughter kicked in, we were fine. Danielle started the laughter off even before the demo began because, for some apparent reason, she slid sideways and nearly ended up falling off her chair. She is part of my three gigglers of the group as they are always chuckling about something, which is quite refreshing. :wink: You have to be prepared for anything in our lessons as there always seems to be something funny going on.

I started off with my demo of the compact, makeup brush and then the eye shadow and brush. I gave them a few alternative designs to try and explained that when using black icing it is wise to wash your hands when you can as it tends to smudge and transfer very easily to the lighter icing that we use.

I also wished Susan and Vikki a very Happy birthday, as it is Susan's birthday on the evening and Vikki's the day after. I like it when people spend their birthday's with us!

Once I had demoed, I sent the girls back to their stations and proceeded to make a brew. Here I got talking to Jacqui, who is one of our new students. She likes baking and making cupcakes; this week she has signed herself up for making 36 cupcakes, so I am hoping that the workshop may give her a little inspiration. We discussed elements of piping and recipes for the buttercream to give you a good effect rather than it looking like dog doo on the top of a cupcake (her words not mine lol although quite apt). I gave her a few tips and showed her a great nozzle to use, which is the 1M it can create great rose effects with buttercream. I also told her that if all else fails, then she could always cover them in buttercream and if she isn't happy with the result to stick the top of the cupcake topped with buttercream into a bowl of sprinkles that way it will not matter if it is perfect or not. It will be bright and sparkly instead.

Trying to brew for everyone is great fun because I can only remember two orders at a time, I'd be no good as a waitress I would probably be back to the table every five mins just to make sure I have ordered correctly. :dizzy:

The ladies do really well when they go back to their stations; they get back and go straight into the zone. I also give them visual aids too so that they do not have to get up and look at the demo cakes to remember what they are doing.

I do have a wander around though to see how they are doing and try and point out easy ways of decorating. I do however have to stand on the other side of the table or with my hands behind my back now as the girls find it funny that I talk with my hands and I just want to show them rather than explain to them what to do, this is a technique I have to improve on! 🤓 I do help them with their make up brushes and advise them on how to use the veining tool properly.

As I continue my rounds, Danielle informs me that she has taught the children where she works how to make the Christmas Cupcakes toppers that we had made on the Christmas workshop. I think it is wonderful that when I teach them, they go on to teach others and especially the next generation! I really like that idea; it's like a ripple effect! :D

Once the ladies have created three toppers, I then do another demo for the mascara, nail polish and lipstick. The mascara has a small black straw inserted into it which forms part of the mascara brush. This is the only non-edible part of the cupcakes; I warn the ladies that they must inform the recipient of this cupcake that it is non-edible and may cause a choking hazard. This is the first time I have ever used non-edible materials on the top of the cupcakes, but it was required to gain the overall effect.

Again they returned to their stations and continued with their cupcake creations, chatting as they went. Because the evening was so jam-packed and busy, I have only just realised that I haven't taken photo's of the ladies in action nor did I manage to take a picture of Frances's and Linda's cupcakes at the end of the evening that is probably because I got chatting with them.

Here are the wonderful creations that the ladies have made...

Gail:
1 Gail - Cosmetic.jpg

Doreen:
2 Doreen - Cosmetic.jpg

Louise:
3 Louise - Cosmetic.jpg

Jacqui:
4 - Jacqui Cosmetic.jpg

Kerry-Anne
5 - Kerry-anne Cosmetic.jpg

Susan:
6 Susan - Cosmetic.jpg

Vikki:

7 Vikki  - Cosmetic.jpg

Angela:
8 - Angela Cosmetic.jpg

Caroline:
9 - Caroline - Cosmetic.jpg

Danielle:
10 Danielle Cosmetic.jpg

Last edited:
You do have fun don't you at your lessons.:D The ladies creations look great, which just shows what a good teacher they have, well done you. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back