What's new

Cake with no eggs but must incorporate milk:/ (1 Viewer)

Mollysmadness

Hi All, I have spent the past 9 years perfecting all of my baking to accommodate my son’s severe food allergies.
He recently passed a baked milk challenge and I am to bake cakes with at least 1 cup of milk in it. Unfortunately I cannot use eggs because he is allergic to them. I have spent the past week trying to make a moist cake that has milk and no eggs in it. I have had no success. They are dense and aren’t cooking all the way through.
Help please!

Hi Mollysmadness

Welcome to the site. 😊

That's great news that you can venture into the baking realm and start introducing some milk into your son's bakes. So hopefully, we will be able to help you out with that.

As you've been baking for the past nine years, I'm assuming that:
  • You take the eggless cakes out of the tins/pans after you've baked them to prevent them from going dense and breadlike.
  • You're not overbeating the batter.
  • Or using too much leavening agent to compensate for the 'eggless' batter.
As for the lack of moisture, mashed banana, various oils, buttermilk, or yoghurt are great substitutes, but I'm not sure if you could incorporate any of these due to your son's allergies.

Using the creaming method (mixing your butter/fats and sugar together until they go pale) is also a great way to incorporate air into the mix to help give a light and airy bake).

As they're not baking all the way through and they're dense, you could try baking them on a lower setting and bake for longer.

In your quest to find new recipes, I think you should check out the mommyshomecooking website, as she has plenty of eggless recipes to go at, and she offers allergy alternatives too. I have found this eggless vanilla recipe that incorporates milk, but it's two cupfuls, and I'm not sure how much milk you are be allowed to use. However, she does have a comment section on the site, and she may be able to offer you some alternatives.

I do hope some of the above helps and wish you and your son all the best. I'm sure you'll be rustling up beautiful bakes in no time!

Best wishes

Angie 👩‍🍳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back