What's new

What does torting a cake mean? (1 Viewer)

Torting a cake is just a really posh way of saying that you need to level and slice your cake into even-sized layers and then fill them evenly to give you the height of cake you require. You must ensure that each layer is level so that when stacked and filled, the overall cake is stable, straight and upright.

Sponge - Copy (Medium).jpg

How do you torte a cake?

To torte a cake, you would level it first, then select a specific cake height that you want your cake to be. From there, you would then torte (cut) the cake into even layers and then fill them.​

The thickness of the layers will depend on who the cake is for and how tall/filled the recipient likes their cakes to be. This is because some people prefer minimum layers and minimal filling, whereas others want lots of layers and lots of filling.​
naked mango cake (Medium).jpg

When do you torte a cake? (Temperature & Size)

You torte a cake when it has fully cooled down to room temperature. If your cake is slightly warm when you touch it, leave it until it has fully cooled. You'll thank me for it. Cakes don't like to be cut when warm, and you run the risk of the entire thing collapsing if you start cutting into it, so please be patient and wait for them to cool down fully.​
As for size, if your cake is above 2 inches in height, then you would torte it.​

What do you use to fill the torte layers?

You can use fillings such as buttercream, ganache, fresh cream, fresh fruits, various frostings and even whipped cream.​

How do I torte a cake if I'm using fresh fruits?

If you're torting a cake with fruits such as strawberries, mangoes, berries etc., then be sure to place a thin layer of buttercream on the base of each layer so that the fruit doesn't bleed through or make the cake layer wet, soggy or mushy. You should also use a dam around the edges of each filled layer so that the filling won't seep out and it stays where it's supposed to.​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back