What's new

Slattery's Lunch - With our Salford College Students (30/06/14) (1 Viewer)

For those of you not in the know we have been trying to sort out a final year trip to Slattery's with our College Class. This is in order to celebrate the completed course and inspire the class with new and exciting ideas from the truly inspiring Slatterys. :D

Linda was apparently the proud owner of a Mini Bus licence and was really keen on taking us on our field trip. However, after a lot of emails of trying to secure a mini bus we did in fact discover that the lovely Linda's licence had in fact expired.
:eyeroll: Not to be deterred by such small detail Linda works her magic art of persuasion and with the help of the class ends up with a convoy of cars all waiting to take us patrons on a lovely deserved outing.

:thumbs:

If any of you know Linda you will know she is a lady of her word and she is very keen on her outings, however, these planned trips never go as planned and generally there will always be drama lurking on a any venture she undertakes. Nothing deters her and she is able to deal with any situation, basically it's like water off a ducks back.

Linda had agreed to pick me and a few other ladies up for the trip, as I enter the car I see Cath, Sue and a lady in the front, Linda introduces her as Carol, she is a former student of Linda's and has come along to our outing. As I enter the car Linda proceeds to drive up the road, about 200 yards up the road there is a sign that says Road Closed ahead, Linda continues past the sign and then asks if the road is in fact closed. I tell her yes that the road sign is not there for the fun of it and she's better doing a uey (i.e U turn) at the next right. Linda passes the sign and nearly completely passes the right turn whilst I'm shouting do a uey here. What do you mean she says? I say U turn do a U turn to which she replies oh I thought you meant be sick! We do a very sharp U turn and then proceed in the other direction. I'm in the car less than 2 minutes and already I know it's going to be one of 'those' outings.

We giggle along the way, as we head towards the motorway Linda then says mmm I'm sure we get on over there on the M62, I then ask her if she actually knows where she is going and she says I think so, maybe, and from that moment I know we are winging it!

After a few swift lane changes and a eureka moment of oh we're at junction 17 we finally exit the motorway and near towards our destination. The lights are on amber and Linda's reminiscing about a time when people says she drives like a bloke. Foot down and no stopping her! Lol!

We finally arrive at Slattery's and Laura is waiting outside, Linda enters the car park, we park at the rear side so that she is in a larger space whereby her doors are less likely to get pranged. We head towards Laura who's currently wondering if she has in fact got the correct day. We discuss who is due to attend and agree to go inside and browse until the others arrive.

This is where the students become in awe of the 'Candy Shop'! As we enter there is a stand with an array of beautiful cakes for every occasion. They are beautiful and sparkly and lo and behold there on the top is the 'Linda'! Dripping in bling with sparkles everywhere this cake epitomises the lady herself. We giggle, we can't go anywhere without there being a Linda present. The cakes are adorable and beautifully executed. I ask if we are allowed to take photo's which the lady behind the counter confirms is ok.

slatterys 1.JPG

slatteries 2.JPG

We then walk further round the store and see the magnifient Wedding Cakes on display, they are tall in stature. There are horse drawn carriages, swirls, cogs, flowers, ruffles chocolate, models. There are big cakes, small cakes, fat cakes thin cakes, you name it, they've got it.

slatterys 3.JPG

slatterys 4.JPG

slatterys 5.JPG

slatterys 6.JPG

slatterys 7.JPG

We slowly move round the store, I'm in my element because I get to buy cake goodies and am currently jumping up and down inside like a five year old, I am in cakey heaven!
:wink: I look at all the wonderful things I can buy, all you can hear from our group is oohs and aahs and a lot of giggles. There are ideas on every level and the store will definitely inspire you whether you are a cake lover or not. I spot the tins of sweets we used to get as presents as kids and instantly want to buy one for my daughter. It takes me back to family Christmas's, I feel nostalgic and smile.

slatterys 8.JPG

We move from the cakes to the chocolate section which is full of novelty fun things for teachers, enthusiasts, kids, grandparents special birthdays the list goes on. These are great for little wraps up for Celebrations or as a little treat. Billy, Leanne, Christine and Ellie have arrived at this point and Billy is now telling me about his broken chocs from a last minute order he placed online. We admire the chocolate work and then we then spot the mini alcohol chocolate tablets and the chocolate 5 a day. Cath and Sue are with us at this point and we all agree that we would definitely get through that 5 a day no problem as would our children.
:p

slatterys 9.JPG

slatterys 10.JPG

slatterys 11.JPG

After further browsing and a quick spend we all head up stairs to lunch, Linda has booked a table for 10 or so she tells us. We reach the queue upstairs and wait patiently. The kind gentlemen behind the counter asks us for our booking Linda then advises it's a table of 8 and then whispers to us that she wasn't sure on final numbers and thought people wouldn't turn up. To her surprise everyone turned up and we even had an addition so not only is there not eight of us there is in fact eleven of us!

The poor guy behind the counter is now trying to work out what to do with us as we are currently booked into a booth and this booking has been booked for weeks. We agree that we will all shuffle together and two can sit on the outer edge of the table. I giggle to myself as this is Linda all over, she's a no stress no fuss kinda gal and it'll always work out in the end.

We head over to out booth, bunch together and make sure everyone has visited the loo's beforehand otherwise there is going to be far more shuffling going on a lot of disruption. I'm sure the gentlemen is wondering what he has let himself in for. However, he is very kind and very accommodating. I decide to sit on the end as does Carol as she isn't sure if she gets in the booth that she will in fact get out again.

The menu's arrive and we all decide what we are having for lunch, some menu's have the sandwiches section in and some don't, to me the menu is rather large and it's like a book. I have Gordon Ramsey floating round my head saying there is far too much on that menu cut it down. I don't like browsing through pages of items all I want is a sandwich and a drink. Laura is sat next to me and she's deciding what she is having. We spot the special on the table, we read it, there is a cheese written on the description although I'm not sure how to pronounce it, its enamel or emanuel or emmanel or something like that. Laura teaches me the correct pronunciation, but rather than run the risk of looking stupid I opt for a turkey salad and a coke instead. Laura's is trying to talk me into a milkshake, I'm part way there but thinking I may not have room for my pudding so I think I will stick with my coke. After a lengthy discussion of the menu and a lot of to-ing and fro-ing of menu's we finally decide on our lunches. The lady appears to take our order and then we settle back into conversation.

A lot of our discussion is currently about upcoming nuptials and cake! Cath has ordered a beautiful purple number for her daughter's wedding, Lindsay has been making wedding dress themed cupcakes and Laura is due to get married in August. There is much talk about designs and flavours and romantic gestures. Lindsay is currently telling us about her friends proposal and the musically acclaimed fiance who is the sweetest guy ever by all accounts and will most certainly make her friends dreams come true. We laugh about minibuses, lessons, baking bonazas and who could forget that phone call!

As we are sat chatting a lady appears at out table, she asks if there is a Linda Walker present to which she replies yes she then proceeds to hand her the phone. At this moment the table is a little stunned and waits with baited breath to see the outcome of the phone call. Things like this don't happen any more unless it's in a film and someone is dead or injured. We swap glances round the table and quietly continue our conversations all the while waiting for Linda to get off the phone. We hear that yes her phone is in her bag and yes yes that's fine. She then returns the phone back to the lady and we sit staring at her waiting for the response. Oh it's only our Donna she wants me to pick the kids up from school. She's rang me five times on the mobile but I cant hear it so she's tracked me down. We breath a sigh of relief, seriously Linda doesn't go anywhere without one form of drama or another, I think she's actually oblivious to the fun dramatic life she leads. We tell her that we went into panic mode and that doesn't happen nowadays, although apparently this is the norm for Linda. We giggle it's like being in our own soap opera just waiting to find out what happens next!

Our food arrives and we distribute it round the table, there is a sea of colours and smells all permeating around us. There are cold dishes hot dishes colourful dishes and of course that milkshake. Laura lets me try a bit.....it's like chocolate heaven in a glass, it's silky smooth, it's like pure galaxy in a glass, delicious and leaving you wanting more. Laura can't stop drinking it.

slatterys 12.JPG

We enjoy our lunch and return to our conversations of cakes, I must say my lunch was extremely filling, I never actually managed to finish all my sandwiches they were that filling. We chat further and have a good time. We then look to having a dessert, there is everything from chocolate cake, ice cream to Manchester tart. There is also an Ecklefeckan Tart, I think someone is having a laugh and Laura explains it's a Scottish dish, I giggle because of the name. I'm sure if you say it fast its a bit of a tongue twister.
:scream:

slatterys 13.JPG

As we place our order we keep seeing large portions of cake and sparklers being delivered to different tables. We are unsure if these are for birthday celebrations or in fact a challenger dish. After placing my chocolate order Laura and I are now wondering if I have in fact order this death by chocolate plate. I'm now panicking thinking that I'm going to have chocolate overload or if we should just share it with the entire table. I now wait for my pudding to arrive hmmm what will they bring.
:D

Whilst we are waiting I decide to try and be a waitress at the table, I like to know how they balance plates on there forearms so I start rounding up empty teacups and saucers and place them on my arm. Laura is giving me lessons on how my arm should sit and how easy it is as once you place plates on your arm, it automatically sits the arm straight. I'm not convinced so I have a go with the empty plates and do minimal movement as possible. I am pleased with myself that I can now balance teacups and plates along my forearm. Challenge done!
:nerd:

slatterys 14.JPG

The puddings arrive, Linda has a meringue and strawberries, we've talked Lindsay into a Manchester Tart, Leann and Ellie are sweet enough, Cath and Sue are sharing lemon and fruit cakes, Laura is having fudge cake and I'm having this chocolate selection or the death by chocolate. I am relieved when the final plates arrive as mine has mini cakes sat neatly on my plate. Panic over I can now devour them, my next problem is trying to work out how to eat a chocolate cup filled with melted chocolate. I ask the girls if I'm supposed to eat it like soup or perhaps neck it like an oyster. I'm more interested in eating the chocolate pot rather than the contents and then it dawns on us. The melted chocolate is for dipping my cakes into, aha eureka err no. I don't actually care about that I'm more happy trying to work out how to eat the pot without firing melted chocolate all round the table. Needless to say I couldn't so I opted to eat the cream covered one instead whilst the ladies are trying to coax me into dipping. No I'm having far more fun trying to break the pot!

slatterys 15.JPG

After making it through some of the cake I decide I cannot eat another thing and admit defeat, as beautiful as they are.....stick a fork in me I'm done! The lady asks if I would like to box up the remainder of our cakes and goes off to find us a box. We split the bill and then take some final pics before Leanne, Ellie, Christine and Laura have to head back. We say our goodbyes and I nip to the ladies and the other girls head to Linda's car. As I return downstairs nearly everybody I know has gone, I pass Carol and just as I'm about to head outside Linda comes in with bags of garlic, she starts handing them out to the remaining ladies in the store that we know. I've no idea why she is doing it but Linda's like I've got loads, here take some home with you. I laugh. I head towards the car and see Carol walking slowly Linda is running back to her car as she has abandoned it in the middle of the car park with poor Cath and Sue stuck in the back. I giggle again, typical Linda. I enter the car along with Carol, we head home, we are now on a mission to drop me off and the remaining ladies off so Linda be in time for the school run.

slatterys 16.JPG

As we are heading onto the lancs Linda tries to get her bearings, she is working out who she is dropping off first,. She thinks maybe Cath and Sue, next minute she does and abrupt left off the lancs, then she decides to drop me off and proceeds to get back on the lancs. We get dizzy in the back and just ask her to get us to our destination in one piece. As we get closer Linda asks me can I get out at the end of the road, I agree, although as she boots me out it takes the best part of five minutes to get into her new boot to retrieve my cakes. She has a new car and between us we're not quite sure how it works.

After a lot of button pressing and a few clicks, I retrieve my cakes and bid the ladies a safe journey and a final farewell, I have thoroughly enjoyed our lessons and smile sweetly as I head up the road, this is our final goodbye and the end of an era!

Wow! what a day that was, I enjoyed the write up Angie and despite the mishaps it sounds like you all had a good time. The photos are brilliant and I'm drooling looking at them.
Thanks for telling us all about it.
thumbs.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back