What's new

How to make a cornflour pouch cradle for edible model heads. (Handsfree) (1 Viewer)

If, like me, you've flattened or misshaped a few model heads when making edible decorations, then here's a perfect solution for you.

In order to prevent the dreaded flatness from occurring when you've created your faces on the table, then why not try out this ingenious idea instead.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (15) (Medium).jpg
Model Head in Cradle by Help Me Bake.jpg

I'm not entirely sure of the technical term for it, but it's effectively a little padded sling, hammock or cradle to put your delicate edible heads in, thus giving you ample time to create the perfect eye, nose, and mouth sockets without the fear of squishing or flattening your head in the process.

It also has a dual purpose too. Not only does it work for model heads, but you can also use it as a cornflour pouch for dusting. So win-win really!

Here's how to make it...

How to make a Cornflour Pouch Cradle for edible Modelling Heads​

1 You'll need a clean dishcloth, cornflour/cornstarch, and elastic/rubber bands.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (1) (Medium).jpg

2 Roll out the dishcloth, I only had a large one, but you could use a medium one depending on how big you want the cradle to be.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (2) (Medium).jpg

3 Open your pack of cornflour/cornstarch.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (3) (Medium).jpg

4 Pour a large amount of the cornflour/cornstarch into the centre of the dishcloth.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (4) (Medium).jpg

5 I used around three-quarters of the bag.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (5) (Medium).jpg

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (6) (Medium).jpg

6 Lift the bottom of the dishcloth and place it over the cornflour/cornstarch.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (7) (Medium).jpg

7 Bend the top over to create a lip.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (8) (Medium).jpg

8 Then fold it over again.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (9) (Medium).jpg

9 Now, take an elastic/rubber band and secure the left-hand side of the cloth.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (10) (Medium).jpg

10 Then twist the right-hand side. This will force the cornflour/cornstarch into the centre of the bag.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (11) (Medium).jpg

11 You can then secure that side with an elastic/rubber band.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (12) (Medium).jpg

12 Now, take a piece of rolled icing/fondant/sugarpaste and see if it sits in the cradle and is supported properly.

If done correctly, you should be able to shape the bag how you want it and have enough padding from the cornflour/cornstarch to support the icing/fondant/sugarpaste.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (13) (Medium).jpg

13 As my dishcloth was large, the bag could easily support 'two heads' at one time.

This is now ready to use.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (14) (Medium).jpg

14 It can also be used as a dusting pouch too. (If you do use it as a dusting pouch, please ensure you note the expiry date of the cornflour/cornstarch).

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (16) (Medium).jpg

15 When not in use, store in a sealed container.

How to make a cornflour bag for modelling by Help Me Bake (17) (Medium).jpg

Notes:
I got the inspiration for a head cradle from watching Rosa Cake Diva doing a demo on Craftsy, she had a silicone mould she'd used as a head cradle, and then I saw a brief demo by Nicky Fuller from the BSG who'd created one using a pouch. Either way, it's ingenious and definitely worth making.​
They also have a dual purpose and are relatively cheap and easy to replace if they get dirty or the cornflour expires, so be sure to note the expiry date of the flour and keep the cloth clean for hygiene purposes.​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back