What's new

Enamel pie dishes (1 Viewer)

Begbrook

I had never used enamel dishes before but have now bought a round and rectangle one. I used shop bought shortcrust pastry in both dishes and blind baked the pastry. When I removed the baking beans and put the dishes back in to brown the pastry in both dishes puffed up to the top of the dish. I have used shop bought pastry a few times before without a problem. Can anyone tell me where I have gone wrong please?

I'll add my welcome to the site Begbrook and echo A Guy's advice that once Angie sees your post you will get all the help you'll need to sort out your problem with the enamel dishes.

Why don't you have a look around the site while you wait, I'm sure you will find lots of useful information that makes it a great help to be a member here. :)

Hi Begbrook

Welcome to the site. 😊

As you've worked with pastry before, and it hasn't given you any problems that may suggest the dish depending on the quality of it, but you can actually use enamel dishes for pastry.

However, as you say the pastry is rising, I'm thinking you may have trapped air between the dish and the pastry, which would cause steam pockets and may be the cause of your pastry pushing up when you remove the baking beans.

Therefore, in future, once you have rolled your pastry and placed it in the dish, you could try peeling it back away from the sides and base and then re-lay it, so to speak, by pushing the pastry against the bottom and sides of your dish with the back of your fingers/hand, thus removing any trapped air that may be caught between the dish and the pastry.

Then, make sure you dock your pastry enough before placing it in the oven (docking is the form of pricking holes into the pastry with a fork), which allows any steam to escape whilst baking. Thus preventing it from rising up.

Also, make sure your baking beans cover all the pastry so it is weighed down fully when you pre-bake it.

Other things to try are chilling it before baking and making sure you have rolled it out on Plain flour and not Self Raising so that no raising agents are mixing with your pre-bought pastry.

Hopefully one of these solutions may be able to help you if you try it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back