What's new

Baking cookies into sitting shape….help please (1 Viewer)

Tintagel

Hi everyone,

just joined as I need some help and advice please.

I am baking a birthday cake with a garden theme, I am also adding a deck chair (made out of fondant), rug and book.
as my friend adores ginger the cake is ginger and as a fun idea I want to put a gingerbread man reclin in the deck chair.

I am having trouble finding the right cookie dough and making a mould to bake into the shape so that it fits into the chair.

does anyone have any ideas.

Hi Tintagel

Welcome to the site. 😊

In all honesty, whenever I've made gingerbread men, I've never actually shaped them to hold a particular position, only cut them flat. However, this is not to say that it can't be done if you pre-bend the dough into position before baking maybe using some tinfoil to bend the dough around or maybe a round silicone mould to drape over which would give you the bend. This is the recipe I use.

However, I know you want to make the fun element for your friend. So to make things easier, what you could do is use teddy bear brown icing fondant or dye some icing fondant brown and cut it with a gingerbread cutter, then drape it across the deck chair giving you the look of a gingerbread man and the ability to shape it in the position you want to.

Or are you really keen to make the gingerbread man out of gingerbread?

Hope this helps. 👩‍🍳

Hi angie,
that I think is my stand by go to, a gingerbread man out of fondant.
I would like to try and use a cookie if I can. I might a sugar cookie flavoured with ginger and see if that holds its shape.
thanks for your help x

Hi @Tintagel

There is a lady called JuliaMUsher on youtube who shows you how to make gingerbread dough into 2D and 3D shapes. She also has a tutorial for her recipe. It may be worth checking out as it will give you the consistency of the cookie you want and will help you shape the dough to how you want it.

You may also want to check out her website too.

At least this now gives you both options so you can decide what works for your friend's cake.

Good luck. 👩‍🍳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back